Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

email from the club

124»

Comments

• Options
    waldo said:

It sums up just how shabby the business operation at the club is at the moment. Any decent club in this day will have a CRM database that will have the ticketing feed etc running into it so they know who is a season ticket holder, who has bought a match ticket, who hasnt etc etc.

The fact they just lump it all together and say 'if you are attending, great, if not well why not' is just so amateur. Any company with decent marketing and comms would have separated the two groups and targeted them in different ways.

And that's without even getting onto the fact they've just copied in others, which has to be a serious breach of data protection?

But do we not 'give them' our email address when we order season tickets, for example? Which unless we sign a disclaimer can be used anyway?
    You may provide your contact details, but the Information Commissioner would take a dim view of anyone implying consent to the use of your personal data. That is why you see many more tick boxes now where you are opting in rather than out of data sharing/reuse. The ting to remember is that, unlike FOI, there are financial penalties for DPA mistakes.
  • Options

waldo said:

It sums up just how shabby the business operation at the club is at the moment. Any decent club in this day will have a CRM database that will have the ticketing feed etc running into it so they know who is a season ticket holder, who has bought a match ticket, who hasnt etc etc.

The fact they just lump it all together and say 'if you are attending, great, if not well why not' is just so amateur. Any company with decent marketing and comms would have separated the two groups and targeted them in different ways.

And that's without even getting onto the fact they've just copied in others, which has to be a serious breach of data protection?

But do we not 'give them' our email address when we order season tickets, for example? Which unless we sign a disclaimer can be used anyway?
    You may provide your contact details, but the Information Commissioner would take a dim view of anyone implying consent to the use of your personal data. That is why you see many more tick boxes now where you are opting in rather than out of data sharing/reuse. The ting to remember is that, unlike FOI, there are financial penalties for DPA mistakes.
    If Charlton were a proper professional outfit selling tickets like seetickets.com etc., they would make it clear in the terms and conditions of ticket purchase that providing your email and ordering a ticket also gives consent for your email address to be used for future marketing. However, I have never been able to find it on their website anywhere when trying to buy a ticket online. I'm not sure how the 'implied' consent they seem to be relying on squares up with the Electronic Communications Act which covers marketing emails. I suspect they are once again in breach of the regulations on their ticketing website.
  • Options
    Who was that Belgian team who's fans that came over for a home game last season and woke up the Lower West?

Were they included on that group e mail?

• Options
    Maybe all's not completely broken in the marketing and comms teams at The Valley of the Belgians. :wink:
    None of my regular crowd of 5 has yet received any "please buy some more tickets" begging emails, however well or poorly written. We 5 are all long suffering season ticket holders who all still attend 95+% of home games. We haven't darkened very many cup matches or away venues in the last couple of seasons though. Maybe, just maybe the marketing team think we might not have very many friends on whom we could foist cheap match tickets. Hang on a minute! I've just realised the cheeky f"ckers have insulted me! Not many friends indeed!! It's bad enough being patronised by other football supporters for our risible situation but being condescended to by that rabble in SE7 takes the bloomin biscuit!!
    But seriously folks go easy on "Katie". I don't suppose the poor lamb had much to do with the ill-timed shabby missive or its badly misjudged target.
    Now if anyone had a reliable tip that belgian-bungler-in-chief Roly Douchebag was (dis)gracing us with his presence at the 'fiasco-for-a-fiver' match I'd be sure to secure a seat as near as possible to the directors' enclave to give him the benefit of my years of experience for as long as my voice holds out. That'd be a £5er well spent. It ain't beyond the bounds of possibility KM would want him to witness the, ahem, success of her initiative. Keep your eyes and ears peeled people, this feels more and more like an opportunity for us and another calamitous own goal by Roly's appointed Chief Execrable Officer.
  • Options
    Leads me to remember the old joke of "What's time kick off ?" answered by "What time can you get here ?"
    Joking aside, the way the "customer" numbers are going that may apply soon.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Missed It said:

waldo said:

If Charlton were a proper professional outfit selling tickets like seetickets.com etc., they would make it clear in the terms and conditions of ticket purchase that providing your email and ordering a ticket also gives consent for your email address to be used for future marketing. However, I have never been able to find it on their website anywhere when trying to buy a ticket online. I'm not sure how the 'implied' consent they seem to be relying on squares up with the Electronic Communications Act which covers marketing emails. I suspect they are once again in breach of the regulations on their ticketing website.
    Is the issue here not the use of an email address, rather the displaying of other email addresses? Any personal sensitive data held must be safely stored, kept for only as long as is necessary and used for the purpose it was intended. If you buy a ticket using an email address then by the club contacting you at that email address with information about future ticket sales is, to most people and likely the IC, using it for the purpose it was intended.

Sharing that email address with 47 other strangers is most certainly not and would be a breach of the DPA.

Clearly the dozy meire doesn't understand how to use 'bcc'.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Missed It said:

waldo said:

Is the issue here not the use of an email address, rather the displaying of other email addresses? Any personal sensitive data held must be safely stored, kept for only as long as is necessary and used for the purpose it was intended. If you buy a ticket using an email address then by the club contacting you at that email address with information about future ticket sales is, to most people and likely the IC, using it for the purpose it was intended.

Sharing that email address with 47 other strangers is most certainly not and would be a breach of the DPA.

I think this is two separate issues. Consent for emails to be used for future marketing and handling of personal data.

Marketing and consent for email use is covered under the Electronic Communications Act.

Mishandling of personal email information would fall under Data Protection Act. I still believe disclosing email recipients addresses in marketing communication amounts to mishandling of personal data and is a breach of regulations under DPA.

Someone needs to file a complaint with the information commissioner and see where it gets them
  • Options
    Just when you thought, etc...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

waldo said:

I particularly looked for this when I bought a ticket for the Forest game, and couldn't find it. If my memory serves me correctly, there is a catch all tick box whereby you agree to their T's and C's which I suspect is where it's contained.

I started getting emails two days after I bought the ticket, and then had to unsubcribe.

• Options

Reading Saturday 27th February 2016 – 3.00pm kick off

FOOTBALL FOR A FIVER IS BACK!!!! – Every ticket will be Five pound why not come and join us for this Saturday fixture and be one of the first to purchase tickets for this event.

- Oh Dear, if they think I am going to tell my friends about this or even push the hashtag this time they are having a laugh,

How about #Rolandoutforafiver

Perfect. £5 for people to come to demonstrate, for all those ex Charlton season ticket holders. This could be the perfect day for a very big demonstration against Duchatelet !
  • Options
    Missed It said:

bobmunro said:

Missed It said:

waldo said:

I think this is two separate issues. Consent for emails to be used for future marketing and handling of personal data.

Marketing and consent for email use is covered under the Electronic Communications Act.

Mishandling of personal email information would fall under Data Protection Act. I still believe disclosing email recipients addresses in marketing communication amounts to mishandling of personal data and is a breach of regulations under DPA.

Someone needs to file a complaint with the information commissioner and see where it gets them
    We are in agreement then.
  • Options
    It seems they are relying on 'implied' consent i.e. buying a ticket means they are safe to assume you would like to hear about buying another one.

Implied consent still has to be knowingly agreed to by the customer. Even if there is no tick box to opt in to marketing emails, it has to state clearly that by buying a ticket you are consenting to further marketing emails. This is the condition that is nowhere to be found on the ticketing website. In fact, I have been unable to find any t's & c's on individual match ticketing anywhere on the Charlton website, only the season ticket conditions.
  • Options
    "Tailor-make" - is that even an expression?
  • Options
    Meire's already got her ready-made excuse for RD's consumption: it's the fault of these poorly skilled SE London plebs we're forced to employ, because the good quality staff all work in the City. The complaint about a breach of FOI rules is fair to my mind, but this will just result in some poor admin getting their arse kicked.
  • Options

Meire's already got her ready-made excuse for RD's consumption: it's the fault of these poorly skilled SE London plebs we're forced to employ, because the good quality staff all work in the City. The complaint about a breach of FOI rules is fair to my mind, but this will just result in some poor admin getting their arse kicked.

The Data Controller (and in the absence of a named DC it will be the CEO) will get their arse kicked - and the club likely fined to boot.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

waldo said:

MrLargo said:

Rob7Lee said:

I'd be more worried that they are giving out your email address to 47 other people......

Straightforward breach of Data Protection Act. Complain.
    Which part of DPA are you referring to? this type of comment is bandied around a lot - without justification.
    The part that requires data holders to 'you to process personal data fairly and lawfully'. Even if all 48 had given permission to share with external third parties, which seems unlikely, the club has to 'handle people’s personal data only in ways they would reasonably expect'. I don't think that includes sending out everyone's email addresses on an a message about cheap tickets.
    Under Principle 1 of the DPA 98 it's a breach! If I was one of those 47 I would be right on to the Information Commissioners Office, making a complaint and claiming compensation. Just for the sake of it in the current climate.
  • Options
    #rolandoutforafiver trending effort at the same time the club try and get #footballforafiver trending would be brilliant.