Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ronnie O'Sullivan - true sporting great

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Disgusting. I'm sure there's plenty of charities up and down the country who would have gratefully accepted that £10,000.

Ali Carter said the same thing to the BBC .. said that all Ronnie ever thinks of is himself
  • Options
    Plus the Mercedes thing doesn't make sense, I'd love to walk into a Mercedes garage and they offer me one for £3000.
  • Options
    Once again proving what a knob he really is, hurry up and give up the game for good, no sportsmanship or integrity in his game at all.

What about the fans Ron who pay good money to see you and would love to see a 147
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I'll definitely be in the minority but I thought it was fantastic, though he was playing pretty poorly overall and then bang. Gutted for the fans?? They saw a 146. When was the last 146? He's wanted to do that for a while, and made it look effortless. He's an entertainer, not a humanitarian. Messi and Suarez's penalty comes to mind. Only Messi won't have made his goal bonus so public. Ronnie has always had a problem with speaking with emotion after a match, good or bad, and that lands him in artificial problems with the press.
  • Options
    My understanding is the 147 prize rolls over from tournament to tournament so he said 10k is not worth it, let it roll up so someone gets proper reward for doing a maximum.
  • Options

I'll definitely be in the minority but I thought it was fantastic, though he was playing pretty poorly overall and then bang. Gutted for the fans?? They saw a 146. When was the last 146? He's wanted to do that for a while, and made it look effortless. He's an entertainer, not a humanitarian. Messi and Suarez's penalty comes to mind. Only Messi won't have made his goal bonus so public. Ronnie has always had a problem with speaking with emotion after a match, good or bad, and that lands him in artificial problems with the press.

This.
  • Options
    Well, at least you can't accuse him of only doing something for the money!
  • Options
    He only does things for publicity and himself and that's why he will never bea true sporting great
  • Options
    Stunning 110 break in the first frame of his match today...
  • Options
    It's snooker, not to be taken seriously. Pub game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like watching a bit of snooker but......snooker. Bit like Darts. It's a skill rather than a sport.

Or a game - like poker.
  • Options
    Willie Thorne has just called him a 'genius'. FFS.....Einstein is a genius you twat.

• Options
    masicat said:

Anyone can play snooker - requires no skill. I'm sure you could beat Ronnie.

• Options

He only does things for publicity and himself and that's why he will never bea true sporting great

All the other sporting greats are extremely well adjusted - none of them seek publicity.
  • Options
    1eyedtutt said:

masicat said:

Willie Thorne has just called him a 'genius'. FFS.....Einstein is a genius you twat.

Not at snooker he aint.
    To be fair, Einstein ain't very good at football either. On account of having been dead about 60 years
  • Options

1eyedtutt said:

masicat said:

Not at snooker he aint.
    To be fair, Einstein ain't very good at football either. On account of having been dead about 60 years
    He ain't deaf
  • Options

masicat said:

Anyone can play snooker - requires no skill. I'm sure you could beat Ronnie Corbett.

• Options
    Off_it said:

masicat said:

I've been to a few pubs in my time, one or two. Can't say I've ever seen a snooker table in one though. Ever.
    The Crooked Billet in Penge used to have one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

You may not like it, you may not enjoy watching it, you may think it shouldn't be on the telly, but by the definition of a sport (get better by practice, requires skill, involves competition, etc.), it's a sport.
  • Options
    "True sporting great"

Probably depends on which definition of "sporting" one is meaning to use when referring to O'Sullivan:

"Connected with or interested in sport" or "fair and generous in one's behaviour or treatment of others, especially in a contest".
  • Options
    love watching Ronnie, about the only reason to watch snooker.

wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing was cooked up by Barry Hearn to generate media attention on the sport
  • Options
    I make Ronnie right, only 116 147s have been made in the sport, so more prize money should be awarded.
    Great publicity as well.
    Is it a sport, for me not in the true sense of the word, no, but I still enjoy watching occasionally.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

You may not like it, you may not enjoy watching it, you may think it shouldn't be on the telly, but by the definition of a sport (get better by practice, requires skill, involves competition, etc.), it's a sport.
    Under this definition, chess and poker are sports. It could also include investment management as a sport.

Neither Oxford Dictionary nor Cambridge agrees with your definition.
  • Options
    It's only a sport if you have to change your shoes..
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

What about swimming (:
  • Options

Ben18 said:

What about swimming (:
    what about those verruca slipper things?
  • Options
    Steve Davis made the first ever televised 147. And he won a Lada car for his efforts.
  • Options

Steve Davis made the first ever televised 147. And he won a Lada car for his efforts.

Now there's a reason to pot the pink on the 15th colour.