Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ronnie O'Sullivan - true sporting great

13»

Comments

• Options

Steve Davis made the first ever televised 147. And he won a Lada car for his efforts.

Now there's a reason to pot the pink on the 15th colour.
    Can't believe you didn't go for the brown.
  • Options
    IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

You may not like it, you may not enjoy watching it, you may think it shouldn't be on the telly, but by the definition of a sport (get better by practice, requires skill, involves competition, etc.), it's a sport.
    Under this definition, chess and poker are sports. It could also include investment management as a sport.

Neither Oxford Dictionary nor Cambridge agrees with your definition.
    But what about Hull?
  • Options

Off_it said:

masicat said:

It's snooker, not to be taken seriously. Pub game.

I've been to a few pubs in my time, one or two. Can't say I've ever seen a snooker table in one though. Ever.
    The Crooked Billet in Penge used to have one.
    Did it? Fair play. That's one then - not that I've ever been in there, so my statement still stands
  • Options
    The William V in Greenwich (think it was called that) on the lower road used to have snooker tables I'm sure
  • Options
    Off_it said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

You may not like it, you may not enjoy watching it, you may think it shouldn't be on the telly, but by the definition of a sport (get better by practice, requires skill, involves competition, etc.), it's a sport.
    Under this definition, chess and poker are sports. It could also include investment management as a sport.

But what about Hull?
    If your definition is that a sport is something that you get better at by practice, requires skill and involves competition, then yes, Hull would probably be a sport too. :smile:
  • Options
    IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

That's not my definition, it's a précis of various ones, e.g.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/sport

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport#Definition

etc.

The referal to luck in some definitions would exclude poker as, although over time the better player will win, there is the chance of a poor player beating a good player purely by the way the cards are dealt. This also applies to bridge played without duplicate hands, something of which I have experience, having been half of a pair that beat one of the best pairs in The Netherlands over one rubber.
  • Options

The William V in Greenwich (think it was called that) on the lower road used to have snooker tables I'm sure

William IV. Also, ready supply of drugs and the opportunity to be murdered.
  • Options
    IA said:

Off_it said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

But what about Hull?
    If your definition is that a sport is something that you get better at by practice, requires skill and involves competition, then yes, Hull would probably be a sport too. :smile:
    I can't see removing the ​covering or the ​stem and ​leaves from some ​fruits, ​vegetables, and ​seeds as a sport.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

A very accurate discription to be fair.
  • Options

The Savoy in Whitstable too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you're posting here, you obviously haven't been murdered, so was it the snooker table or the drugs that had you going there?
  • Options

IA said:

Off_it said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

But what about Hull?
    I can't see removing the ​covering or the ​stem and ​leaves from some ​fruits, ​vegetables, and ​seeds as a sport.
    I can't see why not. You get better at it by practice and it requires skill. I also have a removing the stem and leaves competition with my family this weekend.

I was referring to the city, though :smile:

All of your links refer to physical exertion which is where snooker falls short, in my opinion.
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

Off_it said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

But what about Hull?
    I can't see why not. You get better at it by practice and it requires skill. I also have a removing the stem and leaves competition with my family this weekend.

I was referring to the city, though :smile:

All of your links refer to physical exertion which is where snooker falls short, in my opinion.
    You need to walk around the table, bend over the table, get your leg up on the table, etc. Not overly taxing, I admit. This is where investment management fails the test - you can do that whilst stationery.
  • Options

1eyedtutt said:

masicat said:

Willie Thorne has just called him a 'genius'. FFS.....Einstein is a genius you twat.

Not at snooker he aint.
    To be fair, Einstein ain't very good at football either. On account of having been dead about 60 years
    What has football got to do with it.
  • Options

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's...not a sport...

That's not my definition, it's a précis of various ones, e.g.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/sport

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport#Definition

etc.

The referal to luck in some definitions would exclude poker as, although over time the better player will win, there is the chance of a poor player beating a good player purely by the way the cards are dealt. This also applies to bridge played without duplicate hands, something of which I have experience, having been half of a pair that beat one of the best pairs in The Netherlands over one rubber.
    I quite literally have no idea what you are talking about.

But all this talk of beatings, rubber, duplicate hands, The Netherlands, best pairs, and dealers reminds me of a lost week I enjoyed in Amsterdam from, back in the day.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

If you're posting here, you obviously haven't been murdered, so was it the snooker table or the drugs that had you going there?
    I murdered somebody. Beat them to death with a snooker cue after a massive drug binge.

Don't tell anybody though.