Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC take on the situation

Comments

• Options
    Shocked that people are criticising the BBC in here. Nutty right wingers. Next you'll be wanting to go to an NHS hospital for a checkup and not die of MRSA.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Shocked that people are criticising the BBC in here. Nutty LEFT wingers. Next you'll be wanting to go to an NHS hospital for a checkup and not die of MRSA.

Totally agree
  • Options
    cabbles said:

The Independent article on the FB group was very good. The bloody BBC to concerned with giving Sue Barker a job rather than writing up a proper a report about the mess we're in. Scum, sub human scum

That bloody Sue Barker, living the high life at snooker tournaments at the license payers expense
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    kentred2 said:

BBC news.

The BBC support what they see as authority.

And yet the government despise them because they see them as left-wing and anti-authority. Damned if you do ...

Not sure why so many on CL have been moaning that the media have been ignoring is, and then when they start paying attention moaning that the media is not peddling the very line we want them to. All publicity helps get the message out all is not well. Was it a good piece of journalism? No. But it spreads the word and makes it gradually harder for the regime to keep silent
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

British bullshit corporation at it again

Love it mate!
    Hilarious.

Is this the same corporation that gave me 7 minutes last night to say exactly what I wanted to on behalf of Charlton supporters, whose London sport team are giving us support virtually every time they go on air, and which blew the lid off the scandal which is West Ham's Olympic Stadium rental?

I guess I must have missed the incisive hard hitting coverage from ITV and Sky.

joke
    [johk]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    noun
    something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act:
    He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
    something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce:
    Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
    a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter:
    The loss was no joke.
    something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy:
    The test was a joke for the whole class.
    practical joke.
    verb (used without object), joked, joking.
    to speak or act in a playful or merry way:
    He was always joking with us.
    to say something in fun or teasing rather than in earnest; be facetious:
    He didn't really mean it, he was only joking.
    verb (used with object), joked, joking.
    to subject to jokes; make fun of; tease.
    to obtain by joking:
    The comedian joked coins from the audience.
  • Options
    Erm...
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    More to do with their historic and continued use of child abusers and sex offenders and the like
  • Options
    Not the best, but all publicity is good publicity right?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I was viewing that, knowing nothing about what is going on, I'd simply put it down to a bunch of fickle fans throwing their toys out of their pram, cos the team isn't doing very well at the moment.............
  • Options

@Bournemouth Addick has nailed it. Looking at Steve's report to us (Trust colleagues) its obvious that this report has the stamp of the new Interim Trainee Head of Propaganda .

Firstly we didnt initiate this, they rang Steve. Secondly he reported that on the phone there was an element of the reporter telling Steve what the story was. Secondly he says that while they were filming, KM rocked up. He expected trouble, but she was perfectly amicable, and left them to it. Thirdly, he says the bits he was most happy with were left out. Fourthly the reporter expressed empathy with KM as a "woman in football" (yawn).

As Bournemouth says, of course they are going to get their story across as best they can. No media is duty bound to take our side, and they may do one week but not the next. Its up to us to keep our story tight, disciplined and newsworthy.

This was basically them trying to hit back. In which case, we could perhaps chill out, and say "Is that really all you've got?"

So, KM could have been interviwed but chose not to be ? Says a lot about her confidence !
  • Options

Not the best, but all publicity is good publicity right?

Contact 'Points of View' by e-mail or message board (on the BBC website.) .If enough people contact them, maybe they will feature it on their programme. Tell them you think their report was incomplete and biased in favour of the owner. C.O.Y.R.
  • Options

@Bournemouth Addick has nailed it. Looking at Steve's report to us (Trust colleagues) its obvious that this report has the stamp of the new Interim Trainee Head of Propaganda .

Firstly we didnt initiate this, they rang Steve. Secondly he reported that on the phone there was an element of the reporter telling Steve what the story was. Secondly he says that while they were filming, KM rocked up. He expected trouble, but she was perfectly amicable, and left them to it. Thirdly, he says the bits he was most happy with were left out. Fourthly the reporter expressed empathy with KM as a "woman in football" (yawn).

As Bournemouth says, of course they are going to get their story across as best they can. No media is duty bound to take our side, and they may do one week but not the next. Its up to us to keep our story tight, disciplined and newsworthy.

This was basically them trying to hit back. In which case, we could perhaps chill out, and say "Is that really all you've got?"

You can just see Meire and the Yes Men celebrating that they've scored a goal without noticing the six that have already gone in at the other end ...

Thing is, it's not even half-time.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

He says that while they were filming, KM rocked up. He expected trouble, but she was perfectly amicable, and left them to it. Thirdly, he says the bits he was most happy with were left out. Fourthly the reporter expressed empathy with KM as a "woman in football" (yawn).

I assume from this Meire was asked to speak and declined - if she was not asked to speak, then the BBC should fire the reporter ... and the reporter is also misguided. Meire is setting back women in football by her conduct, not helping them, and if she can't see that then she should find another job rather than empathise.

I suppose it shows Meire still comes to work every day. Not sure what the hell she does though.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Not having been there, it's hard to say, but you'd think the reporter would have made some effort to appear on camera.

Sisterly sympathy aside, it looks like the reporter came at an angle of "oh, why can't everybody just get on?", rather than dealing with it as an issue of disastrously poor football governance, which is stunningly naive.

Anyhow, anyone who's really hacked off should submit a measured complaint here outlining the reporter's lack of scrutiny here, and it'll get fed back to BBC London's newsroom: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?lang=en&reset=&uid=781230599
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Shocked that people are criticising the BBC in here. Nutty right wingers. Next you'll be wanting to go to an NHS hospital for a checkup and not die of MRSA.

I was going for my NHS check up to the Charlton Ticket office
  • Options
    Think we're a bit too close to it and more concerned about the fine detail of the report as opposed to the overall impression to other viewers.

Lots of footage of fans protesting, a clear explanation from a supporter about why fans are unhappy - and the club putting out/hiding behind a statement rather than fronting up with a spokesperson while filming has taken place outside the ground.

All good from the 'pressure on the regime' point of view, I'd say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think any football fans hearing 6 managers in two years will realise that this is more than just disgruntlement at results, however shallow the report.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    BBC London's Emilia Papadopoulos speaks to Steve Clarke, chairman of the Charlton Supporters' Trust, and Labour MP Clive Efford, who represents the Eltham constituency, about the unrest among supporters.

Did notice none of the interviews were done on CAFC premises, and only a 'statement read out on screen'. ( think the community trust was shot previously)
    Ms Papadopoulous does have a background in sports journalism, and has won an 'award' albeit in a minority category, she is if I am correct a 'producer', and obtained her MA at Goldsmiths, see: http://www.heartcyprus.com/blog/our-bbc-reporter-emilia-papadopoulos#sthash.rSQCRkjy.dpbs...... and has covered a few local stories.

She appeared on the bbc ariel website, which is where I worked, http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/32549869, but I left that buillding 5 odd years ago....... although our paths may cross again when I do some work up there in a couple of weeks time. Afraid I do not know the lady.
    Give the lady a 'tweet', she may answer you..........
  • Options
    Hmm, underwhelmed by that piece, but I suppose it at least keeps the spotlight on.

The "club statement " is a joke though.
  • Options

You can just see Meire and the Yes Men celebrating that they've scored a goal without noticing the six that have already gone in at the other end ...

Yep. Even a punch drunk boxer gets lucky once in a while to add my own sporting analogy.

The only points of any consequence to come out of this are how weak the message from the club is, hence the chucking in of the work of the Community Trust and that we need to be very wary of reporters looking for the human interest angle. As @PragueAddick points out the reporter was sympathetic to KM as minority in football. We absolutely must not give them (the club and the media) any opportunity to suggest there's any misogyny or xenophobia driving any of this.

We know that's far from the case but it's important to bear in mind if you're interviewed by the media.
  • Options

Yep. Even a punch drunk boxer gets lucky once in a while to add my own sporting analogy.

The only points of any consequence to come out of this are how weak the message from the club is, hence the chucking in of the work of the Community Trust and that we need to be very wary of reporters looking for the human interest angle. As @PragueAddick points out the reporter was sympathetic to KM as minority in football. We absolutely must not give them (the club and the media) any opportunity to suggest there's any misogyny or xenophobia driving any of this.

We know that's far from the case but it's important to bear in mind if you're interviewed by the media.
    Completely agree. When I watched the report yesterday evening, I thought to myself that I bet the reporter has spoken to KM off camera. Prague has unsurprisingly confirmed that she was around.

Katrien is very much a BBC kind of person. By that I mean that to a BBC employee looking superficially at the situation, she would come across as a smart, capable young woman battling away in a male-dominated environment, coming under attack from those nasty yobbish fans who don't understand how hard her job is and what good work she is doing in the community. The reporter clearly tried to give a "balanced report" of the unrest at Charlton, which is frustrating for us but probably the best we could have hoped for.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

British bullshit corporation at it again

Love it mate!
    Hilarious.

Is this the same corporation that gave me 7 minutes last night to say exactly what I wanted to on behalf of Charlton supporters, whose London sport team are giving us support virtually every time they go on air, and which blew the lid off the scandal which is West Ham's Olympic Stadium rental?

I guess I must have missed the incisive hard hitting coverage from ITV and Sky.

joke
    [johk]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    noun
    something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act:
    He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
    something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce:
    Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
    a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter:
    The loss was no joke.
    something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy:
    The test was a joke for the whole class.
    practical joke.
    verb (used without object), joked, joking.
    to speak or act in a playful or merry way:
    He was always joking with us.
    to say something in fun or teasing rather than in earnest; be facetious:
    He didn't really mean it, he was only joking.
    verb (used with object), joked, joking.
    to subject to jokes; make fun of; tease.
    to obtain by joking:
    The comedian joked coins from the audience.
    Are you saying the "Love it ..." comment was a joke?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    More reports on our demise need to cover the fact that we recently hired a Belgian 3rd division manager. The fact that even happened still blows my mind and isn't getting anywhere near enough attention.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=845258582182507&id=128645453843827

didn't see this Christmas Eve 2014 (seems a long time ago) but it seems the reporter and KM have met before, may explain the lame coverage last night
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=845258582182507&id=128645453843827

didn't see this Christmas Eve 2014 (seems a long time ago) but it seems the reporter and KM have met before, may explain the lame coverage last night

Probably mates after that meeting - they seemed to have that 'connection'.