Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn | Sat 23 Jan | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Blackburn Rovers
Saturday 23 January 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Rob Lewis (Shrewsbury)

Headlines

Charlton Athletic sign Defender: Jorge Teixeira from Standard Liege, a relatively unknown Belgian club that we have never done business with.

The search for our favourite CharltonLife poster beings (started by a Millwall fan)… This poster was ready to strike after receiving no nominations despite having written 28-match previews this season, thankfully a sympathy vote has averted the disaster, discussions over a health package are still ongoing…

Introduction
A lot can happen in a week cant it… Two weeks ago we were in the FA Cup, fast forward a week and we were out of the Cup (that lasted long didn’t it), having lost to Colchester… Two weeks ago we were struggling in the League but I guess there was still that glimmer of hope, fast forward that same week and we’d shipped five goals against Huddersfield and six goals against Hull City; Stephen Henderson appeared to be in tears when interviewed after the first match and that light at the end of the tunnel really does appear to have been snuffed out…

Everything that happened must now be forgotten though, with further protests planned prior to our next game, we must continue with the phrase: Support the Team not the Regime… It’s the second coming of Jose Riga (Understandably it’s not like when Chris Powell kept coming back and back), he got us out of this mess once… Can he do it again, this Saturday will be his first home game since taking over as Charlton Manager for a second time, and three points against Blackburn Rovers could be huge.

The Opposition
Name: Blackburn Rovers | Manager: Paul Lambert
Ground: Ewood Park | Nickname: The Rovers

Who don’t you want to face when your side have conceded 11-goals in two games… I guess the first answer on many lips would be that they would prefer to face a side that seem to struggle at the Valley (like Nottingham Forest) and with a Striker lacking goals (like Simon Church), sadly we face a side who answer neither of the above questions… In Blackburn Rovers we face a team who haven’t lost at the Valley since 2006 whilst they have a Striker in Jordan Rhodes who for some very strange reason is still to play in the Premier League (Oh and he’s scored six in the last three games against us)

When we played Blackburn earlier in the season, three points from Ewood Park didn’t seem impossible; they hadn’t won all season whilst the Addicks had only lost twice… Unfortunately if you want to look at a pivotal week in our season that was probably it, we’d just lost at home to Huddersfield Town and the cracks in our season were beginning to open even back then, we departed Lancashire with zero points and having conceded three soft goals with only Nick Pope keeping the score down… Oh how we missed the days of moaning about only conceding three goals!!

Charlton Team News
The biggest news from the last week is that Cardiff City are now under a transfer embargo, which meant the Welsh club were unable to sign Tony Watt who will surely come back into the Squad this Saturday, he could line up alongside Igor Vetokele who has made good progress on his return from injury and so re-create the Wattokele striker partnership…

Jose Riga will be most concerned about stopping goals going in against us, with our new Portuguese Defender signing on Tuesday; Jorge Teixeira will surely go straight into the heart of Defence alongside either Naby Sarr or Harry Lennon (You’d hope), the injury latest is that Patrick Bauer has been forced to go under the knife, yet Ademola Lookman should return after his hamstring injury so will surely be on the bench at least.

Henderson
Solly … Teixeira … Sarr … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Jackson … Harriott
Watt … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Lennon … Holmes-Dennis … Poyet … Makienok … Lookman … Umerah

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Blackburn Rovers

Comments

• Options
    Blackburn 2-1
  • Options
    I don't think Riga will change too much just yet -

Henderson
    Solly … Teixeira … Johnson … Fox
    Gudmundsson … Cousins … Poyet ... Jackson … Harriott
    … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Lennon … Sarr...Holmes-Dennis … Makienok … Lookman … Vaz Te
  • Options
    What are the best odds people can find for a Jordan Rhodes hat-trick?
  • Options

What are the best odds people can find for a Jordan Rhodes hat-trick?

1/100... He's going to have a field day if Johnson hasn't sorted himself out
  • Options
    Blackburn have signed Graham on loan from Sunderland until the end of the season
  • Options
    No Williams or Johnson in your 18, FA, not surprised I suppose, I believe Blackburn have gone 7 games without scoring, so 0-0
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    ross1 said:

No Williams or Johnson in your 18, FA, not surprised I suppose, I believe Blackburn have gone 7 games without scoring, so 0-0

I really really struggled to write the line-up today: We've had Teixeira join whilst Watt and Lookman have come back into the fold, Umerah was given his chance on Saturday so might be included again, then you've got Williams and Johnson who havent really joined at the right time hence dropping them.

I went for a 4-4-2 formation because for me it would be criminal to play one Striker at home in our position, so it meant I had to drop one Midfielder from; Cousins / Jackson / Poyet so the latter picked the short straw, with Ceballos again left out
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I believe Blackburn have gone 7 games without scoring, so 0-8

fixed...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    confirmed and not good news-:

More on the news that Blackburn have signed Sunderland striker Danny Graham on loan.

“It’s been a mad 24 hours, I was training with Sunderland yesterday morning and then I came down here last night to get things sorted, so I’m delighted to get it done, he said.

"I am looking forward to the first game against Charlton and hopefully we can get off to a flying start."

Where does that leave Jordan Rhodes then?
  • Options
    This is the acid test for Riga. A decent performance, even if we don't win, will show he's got them moving in the right direction. Another capitulation and we can all look forward to re-acquainting ourselves with the Scum doing the double over us next year.
  • Options

confirmed and not good news-:

More on the news that Blackburn have signed Sunderland striker Danny Graham on loan.

“It’s been a mad 24 hours, I was training with Sunderland yesterday morning and then I came down here last night to get things sorted, so I’m delighted to get it done, he said.

"I am looking forward to the first game against Charlton and hopefully we can get off to a flying start."

Where does that leave Jordan Rhodes then?

Is it Chris Brown playing up front with Jordan Rhodes at the moment?

If so then I'd say we'll be facing those two with Danny Graham to come off the bench if needed (lol!)
  • Options
    Chris Brown got sent off on Monday so surely banned? I was going to suggest a bit of buffet football at the valley but now Big Jorge has turned up I am going for a closer game. 2-1.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Chris Brown got sent off on Monday so surely banned? I was going to suggest a bit of buffet football at the valley but now Big Jorge has turned up I am going for a closer game. 2-1.

Yeah he'll be suspended then so Graham will no doubt start
  • Options
    just had a look on betfair we are now 1/12 to be relegated and evens to finish bottom, however its not over yet so 1-0 undeserved scrappy win.
  • Options
    I like that team, however I would have THD in for Fox and Lennon in for Sarr.

As I'm an optimist, I reckon we will win 11-0 as the players will be ready to make amends for last weeks shambles

RD, KM and RM will all be in attendance as well - because I am an optimist.
  • Options
    2-0 To JR's Red & White Army.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Charlton leading 3-2 going into Added time and a pitch invasion by the Boycotters; (after being in the pub for 2 hours during the match and 2 hours before the match and now they can just walk into the west stand) the game is abandoned and Blackburn awarded a 3-0 victory.

Rodney Charlton Trotter claims Victory for the protesters.
    Henry,Fanny and all the Sam's; wonder if we have just chopped of our nose to spite our Face.
    Airman Brown say, he will reveal all in the VOTV
    (£2 from all street corners, or online)

Riga's Hair turns Grey, KM Gets a Sick note from Wiggins old doctor,
    Richard Murray Ponders "who wants to be a millionaire"

The Remake of "one flew over the cuckoo's nest continues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Usual dross. We're just the team Blackburn need to meet as their on a bad run. So 0-3
  • Options
    Just can't see us scoring, so another scrappy game which we need to win,1-0 either way.
  • Options
    Can't find any mention of Tony Watt on the CAFC website - he was wearing number 32 when in our team but no player profile for number 32 or for Tony Watt.
    Not even a mention of his return from loan in the CAFC news archive.
    I'm using an iPad so can't get the full website - sounds dodgy?
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Jordan Rhodes will score, we will revert back to our most common score line this season, a 0-3 defeat
  • Options
    1 - 2
  • Options
    3-0 Charlton.

Turns out to be a false dawn
  • Options

0-7. All goals come between the 43rd and 45th minutes.

I take it you mean they get a try and a conversion
    in the magic number of 44.
    Unlike Hull who just beat us by 2 penalties.