Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn. Post match views 2015/16

Comments

• Options

Someone tell Henderson we are in a relegation fight no urgency for goal kicks in last 15 mins

I take your point but I think he can be forgiven considering the 11 times he's picked the ball out of the net in the last two games.
  • Options
    Watt passed wide to JBG Toward the back end of the second half, I thought there were elpromising signs there
  • Options
    We won't stay up with performances like that. Two very poor teams. The players at least looked committed but they will have to add a lot more quality to their play before I start feeling any customer satisfaction.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

. Watt - so exciting but also so frustrating at times when he takes too long to pass - but think that was his last game for us if the way he gave his shirt away at the end was anything to go by. If it is and he has been sold - hope they reinvest the money wisely...

Watt has given his shirt away quite a bit before, as has Henderson on a number of occasions. I wouldn't read too much into that.
  • Options
    PWR

Just back after the protest.

The Championship is an unforgiving league as we learned once again today. We were more perked up than of late it is true to say, but ultimately a draw was a fair enough result, but nowhere near a good enough result.

In a game where the keepers weren't really worked very much we scored a rather scrappy but welcome goal, and true to form conceded on the stroke of half time from the usual good goal from Rhodes.

We huffed and puffed, they huffed and puffed, but in a game against a team with more quality I think we would've lost. Our deficiencies remain the same, the new manager bounce didn't really happen, a weary crowd did a bit from time to time but ultimately as we are right now we are looking relegation certainties.

It's not as if there were no positives. Watt was a handful for their guys, Igor also, actually a bit of a rejuvenated Igor was nice to see, this injury seems to be over? Is it?

The batch of home grown players were all very good. Solly was the guy we love, Fox contributed well, especially as he had yet another newish player in Bergditch to adapt to. Lennon scored, and worked OK with Jorge, and Cousins worked tirelessly as usual.

I am sorry to say that Jacko was pretty anonymous, JBG started playing after half time, Bergditch landed in the team out of nowhere, but try as he might he was lightweight and ineffectual, Henderson made a decent effort to save the goal but he had a routine game.

Jorge was good, but he will be done by a nippy forward unless his positional play is exceptional, certainly looks a massive improvement on Johnson. Blackburn doubled up on Harriott, and Reza's only contribution was to do a job on the Blackburn keeper.

A bit of a classic Charlton/Blackburn nothing very much game. With what is an unacceptable result in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Fwiw, we had 27 points from 30 games the last time Riga arrived, so we need to win our next two, just to equal that.
  • Options

Poor game, very little quality on show. Our midfield has no creativity.

Can't see this team winning games.

This has been a problem for too long now. We're in desperate need of some creativity in the middle. If JBG was interested he could play in the number ten role.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, at least we've stopped losing. Texeira is definitely an upgrade at centre half. I reckon we need 9 more wins at least (plus a point to make up for our shite goal difference). There's no time for a supertanker turnaround though. Riga needs to put in a handbrake turn and go from a 15% win record to 50%. I hate to say it but i really can't see it happening
  • Options
    Was amazed walking g I to the ground to see Katrien walking towards us past the west stand, she had a few minders but was quite politely received given it was 2.30.

She was smirking but looked nervous, she must have known she was fronting it out.

I don't like her at all. But that's the first competent thing I've seen her do. And so, I never thought I would say this, better than expected Katrien (son had started to call her Latrine which makes me chuckle)
  • Options
    Much better today, but still a long way to go.

Riga at least seems to pick a more balanced team.

Igor needs more matches but at least a glimps of his old self. Watt was up for it and if we can keep him in that frame of mind he will be an asset.

However Blackburn not a great team, in fact there bloody horrible to watch, bit like our stewards their bully boy tactics went unpunished by yet another useless ref.

Overall a small step in the right direction.
  • Options
    Could've won that, we were the better side.
    Watt greedy? First half he attempted several passes to play in other players. Best player on the pitch if a little paunchy.
    At the front of the protest with the lad: eggs is the answer.
  • Options
    It was better today but we need wins not draws , new centre did well , but we seriously need someone to score the goals to get us out of trouble .
  • Options
    Posting without mentioning Tony Keyhole.

We were competitive for the first time in a long while. Not good but competitive, organised and hard working.

Team selection was Jose setting out that he picks his team.

Bergdich did well and I've not been a fan. Maybe he should have tracked the overlap for their goal that left Fox 1 on 2.

Igor and Watt us something up top and Jorge and Harry worked hard against two good forwards.

Some small signs of better things to come and a decent point to stop the rot but we need to step it up.
  • Options
    Frustrating game to watch, feel we were the better side first half and conceded a crap goal. Then for the second we weathered a storm a bit for the first ten mins? and then in the end the draw was probably fair.

I assume Lambert is a fan of gymnastics as he must have instructed all his players to try and leapfrog Igor. Was a joke how many times they fouled and that awful ref did nothing. Their centre back who pushed Solly should have seen yellow, can't believe how much of a wimp that ref was.

Promising signs: Jorge looked good, Bergdich looked quite nippy (better than Harriott imo) Fox didn't look a mess but didn't get much protection. Riga has them more organised, Igor looking a lot more lively, finally Watt looked incredible at moments, just needs to be less greedy at times, our only player who can dribble properly, his acceleration with close ball control is incredible.

Negatives: Hate how Henderson takes so long to take a kick, always been that way but we have no time to waste, Lennons clearences were shite and had he not scored I think he would be getting less credit. We lack so much creativity as per, Watt our only player who can cause an opening but that isn't enough.

Think we can stay up barely, would be 100% confident we could if we signed someone with a bit of savvy in the midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The game ended up being a scrappy, niggly affair because of the rubbish inconsistent referee, who did not punish some persistent Blackburn fouling.

Charlton were better and more organised than of late. Bergdich played well, and it was good to see Vetekele starting to look like his old self. Watt has some good runs but plays too deep and neglects to release the ball to team mates, he has quality but is a frustrating player.

Texiera was good and the defence looked much more solid.

Rhodes scored a good goal and Blackburn put in some decent crosses but were not that great. If Charlton are to stay up its the kind of games Charlton need to win. The team overall lacked cohesion which may come under Riga, but there's some winnable games in the next month and Charlton need to get some points on the board sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Blackburn were really poor, if I was Rhodes I'd be wondering how I'd managed to get stuck in such a mediocre team going nowhere, when the likes of Gestede and Ulloa got moves to the PL.
  • Options
    The referee was rubbish and supported poorly by his linesman
  • Options
    Curbs always said, when on a bad run, strengthen defence, get a few draws and then move onto wins. The only trouble is, we have not got time to wait for the wins
  • Options
    Overall attitude was very good. A lot of improvements. Still a few things need tweaking which is natural after a 0-5 and 0-6. Both sides lacked that killer quality cutting edge in the final third. But there was no questioning desire.
  • Options

Poor game, very little quality on show. Our midfield has no creativity.

Can't see this team winning games.

This has been a problem for too long now. We're in desperate need of some creativity in the middle. If JBG was interested he could play in the number ten role.
    I suggested the same thing the other day and was shouted down - no offence taken, of course!

The few times he had a chance to create things from midfield today he either held the ball too long and got closed down, failed to have his head up to see what was on or was muscled off the ball.

I'm a big JBG fan based on last season but he's not our answer to a playmaker.
  • Options
    Personally only saw Bergdich play one poor game so wasn't at all surprised that he played well, he has quality and he's out of position. Remember that Bulot didn't exactly start well for us - he grew over the season.

As for the goal, it was unlucky. Bergdich committed to a tackle, followed up and then ended up too far up the pitch. They then created the overlap and Fox had to cover two players. Even then it looked like it came off Henderson's back off the post? Either way, it crept in.

The ref was appalling. Watt back to his best; yes, he's greedy but he creates space and fear and stretches them out; Igor on his way back to his best; JGB and JJ anonymous, former has an attitude problem, the latter tries his best; Cousins played better, actually made the odd tackle and completed the odd pass but just not good enough at this level; the new centre half was superb and gave Lennon confidence - he's no Costa but gives us some stability.

Much more confidence, organisation and commitment. Deserved and needed 3 points from this as Blackburn were poor. If Riga has had this much influence in a week, maybe we can do it but going to be tight.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Curbs always said, when on a bad run, strengthen defence, get a few draws and then move onto wins. The only trouble is, we have not got time to wait for the wins

Of couse we have, we have 18 games left - please be patient - that was a positive result against a team that had the firepower to hurt us.