Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn. Post match views 2015/16

Comments

• Options
    What I found intriguing in terms of the reported history and problems was that not only did Watt start but Riga kept him on despite him seemingly complaining and gesturing to the bench that he wanted to come off for some time after he was clattered, and at one point he went over and Riga had a word with him.

Does this suggest that Riga is determined to 'manage' him and keep him in line....?
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

What I found intriguing in terms of the reported history and problems was that not only did Watt start but Riga kept him on despite him seemingly complaining and gesturing to the bench that he wanted to come off for some time after he was clattered, and at one point he went over and Riga had a word with him.

Does this suggest that Riga is determined to 'manage' him and keep him in line....?

We can but hope
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

For Cafc to stay up we need a strong spine.
    The midfield is a real problem with no Playmaker,
    Cousins will run all day,

Assuming we don't get any more new players.... maybe Cousins to the right of midfield and JBG into the centre?

Cousins has got the energy/heart for the up and down role whilst JBG has the passing range and might warm to the task.

In Championship terms....think Cousins as a Graham Stuart and think JBG as a Claus Jensen.
    I think a center pairing of JJ and JBG may leave us weak in the middle and we would get over run.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

For Cafc to stay up we need a strong spine.
    The midfield is a real problem with no Playmaker,
    Cousins will run all day,

Assuming we don't get any more new players.... maybe Cousins to the right of midfield and JBG into the centre?

Cousins has got the energy/heart for the up and down role whilst JBG has the passing range and might warm to the task.

In Championship terms....think Cousins as a Graham Stuart and think JBG as a Claus Jensen.
    I think a center pairing of JJ and JBG may leave us weak in the middle and we would get over run.
    I was thinking more Diarra or Poyet with JBG.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Yesterday Lennon, who's spent half the season so far out on loan, with his third goal, became this season's joint second highest scorer at CAFC .. Reza, with a magnificent four is the dead eye dick of the team .. so far ((:>)
  • Options
    I was pleased to see that we often left two players up in defensive situation but was somewhat bemused that at no time when our defenders got the ball did they make use of the two upfield.
  • Options

I was pleased to see that we often left two players up in defensive situation but was somewhat bemused that at no time when our defenders got the ball did they make use of the two upfield.

I am not at all surprised .. from what I have seen this season, with ever changing managers and team selections/formations, it will take time for the left hand/side to know what the right hand/side is doing .. tactics, strategy, inconsistency, outright confusion .. it will all take some time to sort out ...
    I wish Riga all the very best in his efforts, if he fails we are 'doomed' ..
    another thing that drives me mad is our efforts at throw ins .. the thrower is usually in a position whereby he has no-one unmarked to throw to .. our players are so static in such situations, they could well be plaster statues, no movement and no imagination .. sort it out chaps
  • Options
    Better performance yesterday much more organised but we sadly lack creativity in midfield. New centrre halflooms g. Reat. Hope lennon learns from him.
  • Options
    Positives
    +Watt starting
    +Vetokele starting
    +The new guy is a proper centre back. Danny Game is a big unit and no mug but he had him in his pocket

Negatives
    + midfield was over ran in 2nd half
    + Watt and Vetokele far to deep to hurt Blackburn.
    +The ref one of the worst ever. Same for both teams except missing a defo pen for us in 2nd half

Double negative--- people not defending the banner being taken down . Do we are not in this together your on your own when it gets alittle tougher !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor game between two poor teams was how I saw it. We had one shot on goal second half, if we are to get out of the shit we have to do better than that. Tony Watt is at his most effective in the final third but spent a lot of his time in midfield trying to pick the ball up. JBG is a waste of a shirt at the moment I would have preferred Poyet to give is a bit of bite.

The new centre half looked decent I have to say considering he had Danny Graham climbing all over him for 80 minutes BUT unless we make more chances I am afraid its "Goodnight Vienna" to The Championship.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

As the home team it is our right and duty to batter the opposition. Our deflected goal aside, it took us 60 minutes to carve an opening for the first accurate shot: Vetokele, easily saved.

Of the last 24 games, we have won only two. Of course the Belgian skinflints must go - yet, look also at our players. They are absolutely useless: this inability to move from midfield to attack is one of our long-standing basic failings.

Jackson, Cousins and Gudmundsson are anonymous - even against the most ordinary opponents, like Blackburn this afternoon. Did we get forward in the second half: turn the defenders, stretch the keeper, clatter a shot against the bar or post?

No. Absolutely zilch. There are no rehearsed moves from attacking throw-ins, no accurate triangles on the floor as we approach the box. Henderson takes a geological age to release the ball - then hoofs it to a vague stratosphere, beneath which Vetokele is too small to exist.

A season or two ago, we went through all the side-ways moves: home at The Valley, hold on to possession, crab-like. String six lateral passes on the half-way line, navel-gazing from side to side - then our opponents would pounce: One-nil.

Then we went the through the idea to pass and move quickly - one-touch football. We lost every single challenge in midfield, because our players are physically weak - simply unable to seize possession in a fifty-fifty challenge. We lost all those games at The Valley, 0-3.

It is a conceit to think our academy is full of talented players. Ahearne-Grant might shine at Cambridge. Joe Piggott may learn at Southend. And Diego Poyet, the glittering starlet - who shipped ten goals in a single week at MK Dons - comes back to us.

These players are bystanders. We are muscled off the ball in midfield - a shoulder dismisses them. We will slither out of relegation - no lesson learned.

What is the brilliant Paul Walsh thinking? And the superb Martin Robinson? And Killer, intelligent and tough. And Mike Flanagan - who has all of those lovely qualities, and many more besides.

We, in the Covered End, look at the Charlton players we have now, and laugh.

Do crabs think we walk sideways? Maybe include that in your next piece
  • Options
    A couple of good Bergdich moments;

1st half by West Stand...ran from left wing over to the right wing to crunch a good tackle in.

2nd half...lovely delicate first time pass inside for Solly to burst into their area.
  • Options
    We looked better organised and more determined than of late (not saying much) but, on the balance of play, a draw was a fair result.
    The plain fact is that we have won 4 out of 28 games so far. To stand a chance of staying up we need to win a minimum of 7 from 18. I can't see it myself and odds of 1/8 to take the drop look about right.
    Div 1 with these people in charge doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    It's probably been mentioned but was the 13500 attendance the lowest Saturday (not mid-week) attendance of the season? Off the top of my head I can't remember lower.
  • Options
    SF-02 said:

It's probably been mentioned but was the 13500 attendance the lowest Saturday (not mid-week) attendance of the season? Off the top of my head I can't remember lower.

Correct that's the lowest Saturday attendance by at about 1,000 (Charlton 0 v Brentford 3, 14,587, Sat Oct 24 15. Even the Fulham home sky game was 14,662). Looking back on the results, I had forgotten how many 0-3 results Charlton have had this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/results
  • Options
    The ground certainly looked scarily empty on the highlights show. It's deceptive when you sit in a well populated area. You feel as though you are in a large crowd. My block in the west is prretty full but on the telly it looks like the stand is about 60% empty overall.
  • Options
    Looks like the lowest for a year at least stretching back to middle of last season. Can't find older records on the BBC.
  • Options

As the home team it is our right and duty to batter the opposition. Our deflected goal aside, it took us 60 minutes to carve an opening for the first accurate shot: Vetokele, easily saved.

Of the last 24 games, we have won only two. Of course the Belgian skinflints must go - yet, look also at our players. They are absolutely useless: this inability to move from midfield to attack is one of our long-standing basic failings.

Jackson, Cousins and Gudmundsson are anonymous - even against the most ordinary opponents, like Blackburn this afternoon. Did we get forward in the second half: turn the defenders, stretch the keeper, clatter a shot against the bar or post?

No. Absolutely zilch. There are no rehearsed moves from attacking throw-ins, no accurate triangles on the floor as we approach the box. Henderson takes a geological age to release the ball - then hoofs it to a vague stratosphere, beneath which Vetokele is too small to exist.

A season or two ago, we went through all the side-ways moves: home at The Valley, hold on to possession, crab-like. String six lateral passes on the half-way line, navel-gazing from side to side - then our opponents would pounce: One-nil.

Then we went the through the idea to pass and move quickly - one-touch football. We lost every single challenge in midfield, because our players are physically weak - simply unable to seize possession in a fifty-fifty challenge. We lost all those games at The Valley, 0-3.

It is a conceit to think our academy is full of talented players. Ahearne-Grant might shine at Cambridge. Joe Piggott may learn at Southend. And Diego Poyet, the glittering starlet - who shipped ten goals in a single week at MK Dons - comes back to us.

These players are bystanders. We are muscled off the ball in midfield - a shoulder dismisses them. We will slither out of relegation - no lesson learned.

What is the brilliant Paul Walsh thinking? And the superb Martin Robinson? And Killer, intelligent and tough. And Mike Flanagan - who has all of those lovely qualities, and many more besides.

We, in the Covered End, look at the Charlton players we have now, and laugh.

Do crabs think we walk sideways? Maybe include that in your next piece
    Nobody got in like Flynn this week either. #disappointing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like most people thought Teixeira looked impressive - won most stuff in air and intercepted on the floor with minimum fuss - lets just say its an improvement on Sarr - but that wasnt hard.
    Thought Jordan Cousins was MOM today, seemed to be everywhere, chasing ,harrying, winning the ball back.
  • Options

The ground certainly looked scarily empty on the highlights show. It's deceptive when you sit in a well populated area. You feel as though you are in a large crowd. My block in the west is prretty full but on the telly it looks like the stand is about 60% empty overall.

the lower north looked the emptiest I've seen it on the highlights

• Options
    Croydon said:

the lower north looked the emptiest I've seen it on the highlights

They'd all moved to the section of the West Stand in front of the Directors' box, which was much fuller than usual :smile:
  • Options
    @Treacey1969 ... You said the below in regards to Igor Vetokele on the player marks

Vetokele 3 Cannot associate with the marks on here. Not fit, doesn't know how to anticipate the 2nd phase of play. Did not create 1 chance for either himself or others. He was obviously up against 2 big centre halfs but general hold up play on the floor and movement poor.

Watch the below link at about 1min 20secs... thats Igor having a good attempt on goal, had he hit that sweeter (or had Grant Henley not been closing him down) that would have been 2-1

http://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-blackburn/report/339860
  • Options
    Charlton are enormously improved to a team who I think now stand a chance of winning their next game; I think they believe that too. Riga IS the difference. Fox played well compared to before and I thought that no one had a bad game. Watt does give a cutting edge and whatever the goings on in his head I think Riga has the wisdom to get the best out of him. I thought teixera was very good and that riga can get players like him is promising. I like Riga and I really don't think I would have anyone else right now. I just hope that injuries do not play a role in surviving this season. I still think we will go down but am optimistic about next season whichever division we are in.
  • Options
    All i can say is thank f i was pissed , 5 quick pints before the game numbed the dullness of this match, although i can hazily recall some flashes of brilliance from TWWW and thinking the Tex looked useful
    Rovers were there for the taking and we even though much improved from recent shitness weren't good enough to capitalise but there is a small glimmer of hope

10% survival hoorah 90% relegation boooooo

100% roland out
  • Options

The decision to allow that arse clown Fraeye for 14 games to manage about 10 levels above his ability may well relegate us.

His selections were utterly bizarre and the results beyond awful - this is what you get when non football people are running the joint.

Shows you what we're dealing with.