Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nike Kit Again

Got lost in news about the Jimmy Seed Apartments but @airmanbrown saying that deal done to continue outsourcing retail to Just Sport so a few more years of Nike kits.

At least I hope it is Nike not Avec.

Going back on what KM and David Joyes said previously but every decision is correct.

Comments

• Options
    I like the Nike kits so I can't complain
  • Options
    mogodon said:

As far as kit is concerned, let's hope that the boycott extends to not buying the next set of shirts. That will hurt as the mark-up on those sweatshop-produced garments is massive.

Absoloutely right we should be boycotting all merchandise etc from now until they go.
  • Options
    I never buy kits anyway, but personally preferred to have something more individual from a smaller supplier, rather than something from a pub team catalogue, but judging from the number of clubs having similar kits, most clubs have gone down the same route as us
  • Options
    mogodon said:

As far as kit is concerned, let's hope that the boycott extends to not buying the next set of shirts. That will hurt as the mark-up on those sweatshop-produced garments is massive.

In addition, that markup doesn't benefit the club much I'm sure, as they take hardly any of the risks involved in te retail operation.
  • Options
    Won't matter who makes them or how they are priced cos we won't be buying any until Roly the Douche has done the right thing.
  • Options
    There will come a point when demanding fans stop doing things that they want to do will reduce the impact of the protests. Many people like buying the replica kit and will break the ban.

There would have been people at The Valley that hadn't eaten and were in the ground before they were told not to buy anything. Some of the abuse they took from some fans was, I believe, unfair. If Chris Parks wife is right about anything it is that if fans turn on each other the club will suffer.

A ban on buying, or wearing, replica kit would, for the reasons above be a mistake. Especially if we actually get a decent kit for a change.
  • Options
    How about only buying the kit from other outlets, after all, if it's not our Club Shop, why would we be worried about supporting it. I am sure that, as customers, we would be more than welcome to buy replica kit elsewhere (especially if independent retailers). Just like not purchasing food from the contracted outlets yesterday, when no-one said don't eat or drink, just purchase elsewhere....
  • Options

How about only buying the kit from other outlets, after all, if it's not our Club Shop, why would we be worried about supporting it. I am sure that, as customers, we would be more than welcome to buy replica kit elsewhere (especially if independent retailers). Just like not purchasing food from the contracted outlets yesterday, when no-one said don't eat or drink, just purchase elsewhere....

You cannot buy a top other than from the club shop.

Been that way for years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But not everyone would have known about the ban in time to make alternative arrangements. Some might have sat down to read the leaflet when they got into the ground with no food.

I'm not saying don't try to hit the owner's pocket but just try to respect those that don't (or can't) follow every instruction.

The replica shirt (although I agree that it might be possible to buy one from elsewhere) might be one step too far for some and if enough ignore the ban then it takes away the credibility of CARD.

Just my opinion.
  • Options

You cannot buy a top other than from the club shop.

Been that way for years.
    Agree if you want the badge and sponsors on it. If not, the kit is readily available elsewhere.

• Options
    mogodon said:

Totally agree with the boycott, but, and as I've no kids......

What happens when little Ben or Little Sadie (for example) want to wear the latest kit, rather than their friends who wear man u or chelski kits.

Sorry, not being argumentative, just asking.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

There will come a point when demanding fans stop doing things that they want to do will reduce the impact of the protests. Many people like buying the replica kit and will break the ban.

There would have been people at The Valley that hadn't eaten and were in the ground before they were told not to buy anything. Some of the abuse they took from some fans was, I believe, unfair. If Chris Parks wife is right about anything it is that if fans turn on each other the club will suffer.

A ban on buying, or wearing, replica kit would, for the reasons above be a mistake. Especially if we actually get a decent kit for a change.

I agree, perhaps publicising these things as a way of venting your frustrations is a good thing - but the potential for making them a "them vs us" mentality between the fans is always a worry; and it does lead to the potential to divide us.

On the other hand, with food at least, it was a great opportunity to highlight the local businesses around The Valley and Charlton Village that not only do decent food at good prices, but do it with more effective service and better portions. Unfortunately I feel this opportunity was lost by announcing it so late, and whilst I understand that was part of the strategy, I'm not sure how it would've helped with this particular initiative.
  • Options

Don't think anyone can ban anyone from buying anything. "We" can only request that they don't.
  • Options
    I think you knew what I meant. My point was that there are other things we can target that are not available, exclusively, from the club. Food is a good idea and I think it worked and there was always going be a few why didn't know about it or didn't know soon enough.

The kits are, especially for children, are going to be more controversial.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I agree, perhaps publicising these things as a way of venting your frustrations is a good thing - but the potential for making them a "them vs us" mentality between the fans is always a worry; and it does lead to the potential to divide us.

On the other hand, with food at least, it was a great opportunity to highlight the local businesses around The Valley and Charlton Village that not only do decent food at good prices, but do it with more effective service and better portions. Unfortunately I feel this opportunity was lost by announcing it so late, and whilst I understand that was part of the strategy, I'm not sure how it would've helped with this particular initiative.
    As far as I know, Saturday was a one off anyway.
  • Options
    Haven't been to a game all season. Up until xmas that was because of work but since then I've been on my own boycott. Went up yesterday for the protest and got there around 4.30 and thought about nipping in to the club shop. Having thought about the request to not buy merchandise I was wondering how much this affects the club. Do they actually make that much from selling replica shirts? I'm a bit of an anorak and have every shirt from the last 20 years or so and would like to carry on buying them. It's more interesting than collecting stamps and when I do go to a game I like to wear a different shirt each time. Preferably one that brings back happier memories which admittedly won't be this seasons.
  • Options

Hate Nike

Tell me which manufacturer doesn't use slave labour?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd thought that the ticket office issues would be completely resolved by taking the club shop back in house and selling tickets there through the week, as that's what would happen at most similar clubs.

If they're going with Nike again, that's very strange, even before you think about the pub team kits.
  • Options

As with every aspect of this protest, it's about choice. Individuals should not be abused because they support the protest or the club as it stands. We are all Charlton fans, albeit with differing views.

No-one is saying there is a ban on food, kit etc. What we are saying is those who want change should boycott any official outlets. That's our choice. If one in five did that then it would make a big difference. If others want to carry on as they always have, then that's fine.
  • Options
    Writing to the club is, as we all know, a complete waste of time and effort. It might have slightly more impact if anyone thinking of writing to the club directed the letter to the PR/marketing people at the University of Greenwich explaining why they will not be buying kit etc. A significant number of such letters will not change the deal but will cause the club a few headaches. Same applies with other advertisers. A polite letter explaining why you are reluctantly not using their product while they associate with the club will have more impact than a lot of other things we do, even if we cannot see it.
  • Options
    People are mentioning not buying the kit but why don't we just buy the actual template kit without the badge, sponsors? So we are still wearing the club colours but buying it from the Nike Cataloge instead of the club shop. Same kit just without the badge and sponsor... you never know, we called always get something sorted if enough interest to have just a sword on the kit.
  • Options
    Ive got around 60 Plus Charlton shirts from over the years. I wont be buying another whilst this regime is in place. I know it wont affect the regime directly, but it will hurt Nike's sales at the Valley and that in turn will also affect the circus act that is Meire and Duchatlet.
  • Options
    Does the University of Greenwich deal run out this year? I think if the local community wrote the university expressing their desire for UoG to not sponsor the club in its current state that would send a big message to the club.

If it doesn't run out this year I understand the UoG are contractually obliged to continue their sponsorship, no matter how reluctant they are.
  • Options

People are mentioning not buying the kit but why don't we just buy the actual template kit without the badge, sponsors? So we are still wearing the club colours but buying it from the Nike Cataloge instead of the club shop. Same kit just without the badge and sponsor... you never know, we called always get something sorted if enough interest to have just a sword on the kit.

I have done this for the last two years, all be it that I am getting a little too old for wearing replica football kits now, but my son wasn't, remotely, interested in a template shirt. Having said that he isn't interested in going to Charlton again and doesn't want another replica shirt, at all.

If the football wasn't bad enough the atmosphere at The Valley is becoming a little unsuitable for families now anyway so I suspect that it won't matter much longer.
  • Options
    In the words of the immortal George Formby, "Turned out NIKE again!!"
  • Options

Like the sound of that.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I won't buy unless it looks like this:

duchatelet out shirt

Love it ! Wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting in to the ground though :-(