Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liam Feeney

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2016

RedChaser said:

If we can't get a creative midfielder, play Feeney on the right & JBG in the middle.

This. I'd also like to see Cousins on the right of midfield with any combination of Jacko/Diarra/Poyet bossing the centre. I know his best position is CM & his stint at LM didn't work but an understanding with Solly playing the cover/overlap could work as a plan B.
    JC played on the right in the infamous cup quarter final defeat at Bramall Lane and had a mare, mind you so did the rest of them. He offers more in the centre for me, but If you are going to play him wide, he's better on the left because he poses more of a goal threat with his right foot when he cuts inside. I just don't see him with the ability to go past a full back on the outside and get balls into the box on either flank I'm afraid.
    To be fair to Jordan you've picked the absolute worst performance by a Charlton team in a long time as an example there. He played on the right a lot for Powell as a right midfielder with a more attacking left winger and did fine. The issue is whether that flat three in midfield with an attacking left winger and two strikers is how Riga wants to play. The way Powell set the side up in that formation Jordan wasn't expected to go past his full back and whip a cross in, he was expected to tuck inside if the midfield was getting overrun and provide a platform that allowed three players in the winger and two strikers to play further up the pitch. It was a stodgy sort of tactic but it got results when we needed them
    You obviously weren't at Huddersfield then :wink:

As I said he's better suited in the centre and whether he tucked in or not when playing on the right he never looked as comfortable to me on that side of the pitch as on the left. He has a great engine and I would always have him on the team sheet but is wasted out wide. He also doesn't seem to like receiving and turning with the ball with his back to the opposition goal which a wide man is often expected to do. Just my opinion like.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

RedChaser said:

If we can't get a creative midfielder, play Feeney on the right & JBG in the middle.

This. I'd also like to see Cousins on the right of midfield with any combination of Jacko/Diarra/Poyet bossing the centre. I know his best position is CM & his stint at LM didn't work but an understanding with Solly playing the cover/overlap could work as a plan B.
    JC played on the right in the infamous cup quarter final defeat at Bramall Lane and had a mare, mind you so did the rest of them. He offers more in the centre for me, but If you are going to play him wide, he's better on the left because he poses more of a goal threat with his right foot when he cuts inside. I just don't see him with the ability to go past a full back on the outside and get balls into the box on either flank I'm afraid.
    I wonder if Cousins will eventually end up back at RB or as a right wing back. Modern full backs, especially in the PL spend all their time bombing up and down the flank, with defensive duties seemingly of less importance than 20 years ago
    I wouldn't be against this, I believe he came through the development squads as a defender, is more comfortable facing the play and certainly has the attributes to get up and down the pitch from full back. I don't how good his crossing is because we rarely see him in those situations but if that is ok then he would be ideal cover / eventual replacement for Solly.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

To be fair to Jordan you've picked the absolute worst performance by a Charlton team in a long time as an example there. He played on the right a lot for Powell as a right midfielder with a more attacking left winger and did fine. The issue is whether that flat three in midfield with an attacking left winger and two strikers is how Riga wants to play. The way Powell set the side up in that formation Jordan wasn't expected to go past his full back and whip a cross in, he was expected to tuck inside if the midfield was getting overrun and provide a platform that allowed three players in the winger and two strikers to play further up the pitch. It was a stodgy sort of tactic but it got results when we needed them
    You obviously weren't at Huddersfield then :wink:

As I said he's better suited in the centre and whether he tucked in or not when playing on the right he never looked as comfortable to me on that side of the pitch as on the left. He has a great engine and I would always have him on the team sheet but is wasted out wide. He also doesn't seem to like receiving and turning with the ball with his back to the opposition goal which a wide man is often expected to do. Just my opinion like.
    I agree, I've never been a fan of him playing on either flank. His ideal role is being part of a 5 man midfield where there's a dedicated holding midfielder alongside him, a creative player ahead of him and two decent wingers. That way he can go box to box, drop back when the opposition are attacking, drift wide if necessary when the wingers are caught on the break and arrive late in the box to convert second balls and keep attacks alive. We've never really made the most of him tactically which is why he's looked a bit lost at times.
  • Options
    Bolton supporter at my work reckons he's got a contact at bwfc and says Feeney to us is a done deal for 500k.
    I told him I'd heard we were in for him but never followed it up, but he insisted it was a goer.
    Don't know how reliable his info is, but there you go.
  • Options

Bolton supporter at my work reckons he's got a contact at bwfc and says Feeney to us is a done deal for 500k.
    I told him I'd heard we were in for him but never followed it up, but he insisted it was a goer.

£500k? :neutral:

I'm now hoping that we whacked a whopping great sell on fee on Feeney when we gave him away.

I didn't realise Bolton had a highwayman in charge these days.
  • Options

I'm now hoping that we whacked a whopping great sell on fee on Feeney when we gave him away.

Like I say @Big_Bad_World, I don't know how reliable his info is. He might be talking out of his arse.
  • Options

Like I say @Big_Bad_World, I don't know how reliable his info is. He might be talking out of his arse.
    @lordromford, I'm not digging out your source at all.

If Bolton get £500k for him then it's brilliant business by them seeing as they got him for nothing from us.

• Options

@lordromford, I'm not digging out your source at all.

If Bolton get £500k for him then it's brilliant business by them seeing as they got him for nothing from us.

No worries @Big_Bad_World. Didn't think you were having a go.
    To be fair, my workmate probably is talking chite anyway. Northern monkey. :wink:
  • Options
    I read that as they asked for £200k and Meire, they can have her for free if they want.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am sure this offer was made prior to Riga being appointed, and probably he is no longer wanted.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about strikers getting on the end of crosses with Feeney. Seen him many times, bit like Newton with his dvla claims but less exciting. Feeney's made abiut 4 assists in 4 years. Exciting occassionaly but rarely any cigar.
  • Options
    That's ok . Because our CEO understands football we can expect a structure where Feeney is paid for the next 5 years because 2% of the fans remember him.

If he or his agent are uncertain about joining we will ensure the contract has a relegation bonus that pays out on relegation and a sideline incentive where not being in the first team is worth twice as much a week.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    ColinTat said:

I wouldn't worry about strikers getting on the end of crosses with Feeney. Seen him many times, bit like Newton with his dvla claims but less exciting. Feeney's made abiut 4 assists in 4 years. Exciting occassionaly but rarely any cigar.

According to this he had 5 last season as many as James Henry, and 5 the year before.
    www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-premier-league-2015-2016/
    Link doesn't seem to work, sorry.
  • Options
    If the jury is still out for some of you, here's some stats to dig your teeth in to. My favourites are 'Liam Feeney's Characteristics'.

Be afraid, be very afraid :wink:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/30183
  • Options

If the jury is still out for some of you, here's some stats to dig your teeth in to. My favourites are 'Liam Feeney's Characteristics'.

He's been a rare bright spot for Bolton this year though and his goals/assists is a decent return.

Like what yourself & Millwallfan said, he blew hot & cold for us. I guess that's typical of many wingers though. Liable to switch off and not track back. I remember Birmingham one Tuesday night, we raced in to a 3 goal lead with all 3 goals coming from Feeney crosses.

Birmingham then proceeded to score 3 themselves, with at least 2 coming from Feeney not tracking/defending properly!
  • Options

He's been a rare bright spot for Bolton this year though and his goals/assists is a decent return.

Like what yourself & Millwallfan said, he blew hot & cold for us. I guess that's typical of many wingers though. Liable to switch off and not track back. I remember Birmingham one Tuesday night, we raced in to a 3 goal lead with all 3 goals coming from Feeney crosses.

Birmingham then proceeded to score 3 themselves, with at least 2 coming from Feeney not tracking/defending properly!
    I remember the Brum game well.

Feeney's stats don't lie though. Have a look at the link I posted, if you haven't already, and delve in to the 'Current Participations' bit. He's truly shocking.

For purely comedic reasons you can make a case for Charlton signing him. However, these people are going through, and have been through, enough without Feeney rocking up at the Valley :smile:

• Options
    I think Feeney was definitely a Fraeye target as he run THD ragged.

• Options

Its a shame a match v Charlton isn't on the fixture list.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Feeney's stats don't lie though. Have a look at the link I posted, if you haven't already, and delve in to the 'Current Participations' bit. He's truly shocking.

For purely comedic reasons you can make a case for Charlton signing him. However, these people are going through, and have been through, enough without Feeney rocking up at the Valley :smile:

Err, I hate to break this up lads but you do realise you are having a Feeney, who still plays for Bolton, love in on a Charlton fans forum? :open_mouth: . Thanks for the heads up though and I know you won't mind if I make my own mind up if and or when he arrives :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The stats you posted are not actually that bad, remember he is playing for the only team lower than us, he's played a part in more goals than any of our players. Think you'll find they are decent stats for an average wide midfielder in this league. I looked at an another ex Spanner as we we're linked with him https://www.whoscored.com/Players/25291/ not much difference and Henry has had the benefit of playing with Afobe all season. He might be just what you described he was when he played with you but might be a different player for Boton. I can only judge him on his performance at the Valley this season and he was there best player.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

RedChaser said:

Err, I hate to break this up lads but you do realise you are having a Feeney, who still plays for Bolton, love in on a Charlton fans forum? :open_mouth: . Thanks for the heads up though and I know you won't mind if I make my own mind up if and or when he arrives :wink: .
    I wouldn't call it a love in but I get where you're coming from.

I don't know, you come on here to give worldly advice to look after your neighbours and they're less than appreciative :wink:

Would you go to a restaurant if your friends told you it was substandard?
    And your advice is taken in the spirit it is intended, now I must try a similar approach on that 'house of fun' forum, what dya reckon :wink:
  • Options

RedChaser said:

I don't know, you come on here to give worldly advice to look after your neighbours and they're less than appreciative :wink:

Friends? Unlike family we can pick our friends :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

And your advice is taken in the spirit it is intended, now I must try a similar approach on that 'house of fun' forum, what dya reckon :wink:
    I haven't been able to view that site for about 10 years.

If you can get on there then do your worst :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I haven't been able to view that site for about 10 years.

If you can get on there then do your worst :smile:
    I only ever give of my best, so you much prefer being a closet Addick then, yep that figures :wink:
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Its a shame a match v Charlton isn't on the fixture list.
    If we played ourselves we would still lose........

And then the Charlton who did win would be pulled up for an irregularity and the match declared null and void.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

RedChaser said:

Has anyone got the number for The Samaritans? :neutral:
  • Options

cfgs said:

RedChaser said:

Ask Katrien, they'll probably be our new shirt sponsors...
  • Options

cfgs said:

RedChaser said:

Ask Katrien, they'll probably be our new shirt sponsors...
    they would have been a better bet than the NHS, over ten thousand immediate customers for them