Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rotherham v Charlton | Sat 30 Jan | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Rotherham United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 30 January 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Stroud (Yes I am being serious)

Headlines

Following the match against Blackburn, protests once again were a roaring success with over 2,000 fans participating

In Footballing news; Charlton U21s continued their defence of the Kent Senior Cup with a 2-0 win over Bromley on Tuesday night, sadly the dream ended for the U18s in the FA Youth Cup, losing 2-1 to Coventry City who will go on to face Arsenal.

Introduction
The last weekend in January is usually reserved for an FA Cup preview… With matches being played in that competition this Weekend, there would have been an opportunity for the Addicks to have a break from action (after losing to Colchester in the last round), fortunately for us, Rotherham United our scheduled League opponents for this Weekend also lost in the Third Round (against Leeds United) so the all-important six pointer goes ahead.

When Jose Riga first took charge of the Addicks, we were floundering in the relegation zone, it was of course a false representation on our season as league games had been cancelled / re-arranged because of weather and cup commitments… Thankfully we used our games in hand to our advantage and climbed to safety, many teams prefer points on the board to games in hand though so three points and a win wouldn’t just be a rub in the face for Keith Stroud… It could also put huge pressure on those other teams around us… Come on you Reds!!

The Opposition
Name: Rotherham United | Manager: Neil Redfearn
Ground: The New York Stadium | Nickname: The Millers

When was the last time Charlton beat Rotherham… November 1980 is when you’ve got to go back until, that game (held at the Valley) ended in a 2-0 victory for the Addicks… When did we last beat Rotherham away from home, I’m afraid you’ve got to return to 1963 when we were victorious (2-1)… stats / records, they’re all there to be broken, yet are grim reading for Charlton fans.

The original match this season, held at the Valley in September was the beginning of all our woes for the season ahead, and to be honest we never looked like snatching victory that day either, Rotherham would take the lead in the First Half through Farrend Rawson, Charlton would strike back through Patrick Bauer in the second half ensuring that the points were shared yet this Saturday should be quite remarkable as Keith Stroud also took charge of that match, when was a referee last placed in charge for both fixtures between two sides in a single season?

Charlton Team News
I think every fan was shocked to see Zac Bergdich back in the Charlton team this Saturday yet despite being the third worse Charlton player on the pitch (Based on the Statbank results) it wasn’t the worst performance from a player who has been a major disappointment for the season so far… Indeed he has maybe given Jose Riga something to ponder, does he stick with the same player who did well protecting Morgan Fox, or switch to Callum Harriott and use his pace for the counter-attack being away from home?

Thankfully it seems there were no injuries from the Blackburn match so we should see the same team across the rest of the pitch, Jorge Teixeira impressed on his debut whilst we saw the long awaited return of the Watt / Vetokele partnership up front… Unless Tony Watt departs the club within the next few days (Which currently seems unlikely) you’d expect to see those two once again team up.

Henderson
Solly … Teixeira … Lennon … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Jackson … Bergdich
Watt … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Johnson … Poyet … Ba … Harriott … Makienok … Ghoochannejhad

Prediction
Rotherham United 1-3 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Big game for us, lose and there's a seven point gap between us, draw keeps the gap at four so we really have to win but can't really see that happening although this is Charlton so anything is possible.
  • 1-2 to JR's Red and White Army.
  • iaitch said:

Big game for us, lose and there's a seven point gap between us, draw keeps the gap at four so we really have to win but can't really see that happening although this is Charlton so anything is possible.

Might as well call it an eight point gap... Our Goal Difference is really hindering us now!!
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see Lookman back in the squad (probably on the bench), and maybe Diarra is nearing fitness too? With everyone fit (Bauer may take another month...), we don't have that bad a squad! COYA!
  • must win or start plotting our tour of league 1, think we will win it 2-0
  • edited January 2016
    Pedro45 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lookman back in the squad (probably on the bench), and maybe Diarra is nearing fitness too? With everyone fit (Bauer may take another month...), we don't have that bad a squad! COYA!

I was going to put Lookman on the bench over Reza... I think he's be eased back into the team though which is why I left him out.

Its a shame he couldnt be given a few minutes against Bromley last night
  • iaitch said:

Big game for us, lose and there's a seven point gap between us, draw keeps the gap at four so we really have to win but can't really see that happening although this is Charlton so anything is possible.

Might as well call it an eight point gap... Our Goal Difference is really hindering us now!!
    True we need a few 5-0 wins!!!!
  • Defeat and even the eternal optimists like myself will start to accept it's going to be League One football next season. A win and we are right back on track to stay up so will probably be a draw. Maybe a 2-2 rather than the usual 1-1 to prolong the agony. It's the hope that kills you as they say...
  • Pedro45 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lookman back in the squad (probably on the bench), and maybe Diarra is nearing fitness too? With everyone fit (Bauer may take another month...), we don't have that bad a squad! COYA!

I was going to put Lookman on the bench over Reza... I think he's be eased back into the team though which is why I left him out.

I bet all the PL scouts there last night felt the same!

I see Eric Black, Redfearn's first team coach has left to join Villa. Hopefully that'll impact on the Rotherham performance
  • Wonder if Mr Watt will still be around for this one...
  • Sponsored links:

• I honestly thought we might get something out of this, most likely a draw.
    Then I saw that Keith Stroud is refereeing and all hope is gone.
    2-1 Rotherham, featuring a late penalty, plus a sending off thrown in for good measure.
  • I don't know why but I actually think Charlton will win this game. I haven't said that for a long time. I just feel we're a much more organised side under Riga, who has had another full week to work with the players on the training ground since the Blackburn game. If we're well organised and everyone does their job, we'll win.

2-0 to Charlton
  • We will win this 2-1.
  • Pedro45 said:

I bet all the PL scouts there last night felt the same!

I see Eric Black, Redfearn's first team coach has left to join Villa. Hopefully that'll impact on the Rotherham performance
    Saw this myself... Its really given me a bit of hope as he's a good coach
  • I'm hoping for

Henderson, Solly, Tex, Lennon, Fox, Cousins, Poyet, Jackson, Harriott, Watt, Vet

Subs: - Pope, johnson, ba, JBG, Feeney, Mak, Lookman
  • funny how no-one is picking Vaz Te, even for the bench. When he rocked up he was going to be our saviour.

Must not lose game, so a draw for me. A defeat and we are doomed.
  • The key to beating the Millers is to attack them from the start, sit back and they'll build momentum and control the midfield .. Rotherham are an improving team and this will be yet another difficult game .. the point against Blackburn was very welcome, but we just MUST start picking up the threes and not the ones..

Unchanged team (read my posts on the topic, I just knew that Bergdich would come good given some time), but only a point at the Nooo Yoik

Rotherham United 1 v CAFC 1 .. I am looking forward to this one, always enjoy my trips to sunny Rotherham ((:>)
  • funny how no-one is picking Vaz Te, even for the bench. When he rocked up he was going to be our saviour.

Not only is Vaz Te out of the picture (it would seem) but also most of the youngsters that Luzon and Fraeye were forced to pick! No THD, RCC, Lookman, Umerah, Kennedy, KAG, Muldoon, Thomas - all of whom have started or been on the bench in games earlier in the season.
  • It will be tough. Rotherham will justifiably be favourites, as they've won 5 of the last 7 games. Self-evidently, this is a game we dare not lose.

According to press reports, Lookman will be in contention, so hopefully he'll be available on the bench to give us another attacking option.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

funny how no-one is picking Vaz Te, even for the bench. When he rocked up he was going to be our saviour.

Not only is Vaz Te out of the picture (it would seem) but also most of the youngsters that Luzon and Fraeye were forced to pick! No THD, RCC, Lookman, Umerah, Kennedy, KAG, Muldoon, Thomas - all of whom have started or been on the bench in games earlier in the season.
    In fairness... KAG / Muldoon are out on loan now whilst Lookman was injured... THD was in the squad on Saturday (As he was doing some running with Sarr during the warm up) yet wasnt picked to be part of the team.

Whilst the recovery of injuries have helped as only three players (Tex / Poyet / Johnson) were involved against Blackburn, yet werent part of the squad for the Queens Park Rangers game in August
  • Blucher said:

It will be tough. Rotherham will justifiably be favourites, as they've won 5 of the last 7 games. Self-evidently, this is a game we dare not lose.

According to press reports, Lookman will be in contention, so hopefully he'll be available on the bench to give us another attacking option.

Er, shouldn't that be 3 in their last 10 games!

The weird thing is that their wins have been over Bolton (expected), but then also Brighton and Hull!
  • in the championship with the exception of us anyone can beat anyone, we beat qpr and hull we could only dream of drawing with them now.
  • Blucher said:

It will be tough. Rotherham will justifiably be favourites, as they've won 5 of the last 7 games. Self-evidently, this is a game we dare not lose.

Wow! I didn't realize their recent form was so impressive. It's going to be tough but I reckon we will nick a draw ? 1-1
  • I have got a feeling we are going to win this one, 1-0 to the Addicks.
  • Blucher said:

Wow! I didn't realize their recent form was so impressive. It's going to be tough but I reckon we will nick a draw ? 1-1
    Nah they've only won three in ten matches... http://www.statto.com/football/teams/rotherham-united
  • Does anyone know whether tickets are available on the day? I don't remember having a problem there in the past.

Given Riga likes to play a high tempo game - my guess is that players who are not match fit will not get a chance, and quite right too.
  • Rotherham won't bother 'em. Well, not until they score.
  • I've got two bogey teams left out of teams I've seen us play...Gillingham and Rotherham. Never seen us beat either of them. Can't see us winning on Saturday I'm afraid.

PS: Can anyone remember a season without us getting a league penalty?