Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LISTEN - Riga interview after Rotherham (talks Watt and Vaz Te)

13»

Comments

• Options

I really like the guy, not just because I think he's a good manager but he comes across as so genuine. Reminds me of Powell in some ways.

But just a bit more tactically astute and a better man manager.

• Options

It definitely sounds like he is in charge and he insists on having the final say on transfers. If that's the case I think not signing Oxford is a mistake but I 100% trust Riga's judgement.

I still don't understand why the Oxford transfer was allowed to get so far down the line If Riga wasn't interested though?

I think we have a great chance of staying up with Riga as manager. Good interview

As Chris Powell stated, he turned up at Training and was told there's a Goalkeeper downstairs...so Jose probably wasnt told until the last minute.
  • Options
    Good work Lou Lou
  • Options
    Tony Watt did not want to continue with Charlton and in some ways I don't blame him.

Riga appears to have accepted this and I don't blame him.

• Options
    It looks like the strategy is going to be we, the fans and football staff, against the world. Riga has covertly suggested that he and the players are not exactly for the regime ('they need to face the reality'), but they can't say they're against the regime, but they can back up the fans and identify with fan angst.
    So we fans and football staff are united against footballing opponents, and kind of united against the regime if the regime will not face reality. The flood of messages from the players to the fanbase is indicative of this. Right now the us against them imperative is something to use for good on the pitch.
    If we are being manipulated by a cynical football side of the club, it is a very subtle and clever tactic, I prefer to think of it as a positive way to unite fans and team, and if that means the regime is a kind of common enemy then so be it.
    This strategy depends on the players having one focus and giving their all.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It looks like the strategy is going to be we, the fans and football staff, against the world. Riga has covertly suggested that he and the players are not exactly for the regime ('they need to face the reality'), but they can't say they're against the regime, but they can back up the fans and identify with fan angst.
    So we fans and football staff are united against footballing opponents, and kind of united against the regime if the regime will not face reality. The flood of messages from the players to the fanbase is indicative of this. Right now the us against them imperative is something to use for good on the pitch.
    If we are being manipulated by a cynical football side of the club, it is a very subtle and clever tactic, I prefer to think of it as a positive way to unite fans and team, and if that means the regime is a kind of common enemy then so be it.

All the player messages on Twitter yesterday mentioned the fans ... but I think it more likely that Jacko is behind that rather than the club using a cynical ploy.
  • Options
    As always Riga comes across really well, still not completely convinced by the he is in full control of player in and out message that Jose and the club are trying to spread but I hope he is.

• Options
    West Ham must have been touting Oxford around for game time… was probably at a very low cost to CAFC. So RD via KM thought hey he's cheap let's have him. See what JR thinks. He probably said what do I want him for we've got plenty of central and defensive midfielders…no thanks.
    Had he been bought he would have had no choice but to play him. The fact JR refused the player means he has no idea as to who is being recruited. As for TW and Vaz Te. The regime have just lowered the wage bill. Whilst looking to get players with "Championship" experience they've just got rid of two. (mind you with all the shambles going on at KM / RM (the invisible man) level who can blame them for getting way to clubs which have real ambition to succeed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2016
    seth plum said:

Given the general incompetence of the regime, and further refusal shown in the Fans Forum video to be accountable for any of the feck ups, I doubt that the regime are capable of that level of subtlety or cleverness.

Riga is his own man, which is why they didn't hire him at the end of the first stint. They were in a hole because the Upjest head coach was not acceptable and Riga was astute enough to get himself an 18 month contract. This has allowed him a bit of space to speak his mind on the state of things and the need for strengthening.

Hopefully, the support the team and not the regime message has got through and the players realise that even though a large amount of supporters want Duchatelet and Meire out that Charlton supporters are fully supportive of the team, particularly if they are very focused and united and giving their all on the pitch.

Having a decent head coach who is clear that players, who are at the club have to have that level of fight and desire to do well and fight relegation is vital. Also able to identify areas where strengthening is needed and decline what's not is great as well. Only hope that he is listened to and some of his suggestions for the right player are heard.

I like Riga though and think that there is a bond there between him and the supporters. I like the fact that he is a bit more upfront and honest about the situation. Lets hope that Duchatelet can take his blinkers off and appreciate that it is good to have some knowledgeable people about, who can tell him what he needs to hear rather that what he is instructing them to say. That could be the difference between success and failure.
  • Options
    I liked that little bit of confidence he showed when we went 3-1 up yesterday, the camera panned him and he'd turned to the bench with a huge smile on his face and he shook someones hand.

Could have been the physio, as Riga could have persuaded him that Makienok should stay on a bit longer after hitting the boards.

But in a way it almost seemed as though he was saying: Job done..., either way he inspires confidence with me for sure
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I liked that little bit of confidence he showed when we went 3-1 up yesterday, the camera panned him and he'd turned to the bench with a huge smile on his face and he shook someones hand.

Could have been the physio, as Riga could have persuaded him that Makienok should stay on a bit longer after hitting the boards.

But in a way it almost seemed as though he was saying: Job done..., either way he inspires confidence with me for sure

Yes, he does inspire confidence ...must be great for the players
  • Options
    Riga has basically set out a formation, a game plan and decided who plays where, not new or tactically invent ideas, but something the "incompetent one" had no idea about, hence 6-1-3 and the regular 4-2-4!

This alone will gain respect from both players and fans, luckily for us Jose is a "Tactical Genius" he did sub Harriet's inside twenty minutes the last time he was here, a tactical sub, something I've never seen any previous manager do!

He don't seem to fancy Poyet, Regelation Roger, Williams or Bambi though! No bad judge in my opinion.
  • Options
    We will see if he has control over transfers in the summer. Riga is in a strong position at the moment as he appears to be changing things. So for the meantime he'll be given the outrageous power to ask for certain players.

In the summer I can see the same old shit happening again. Riga can't sign any player he wants as we won't pay the fees to agents/players etc. Our squad will be underfunded again and we will be in the same position again once a few injuries kick in. Duchatelet the visionary has to prove how clever he is after all.
  • Options
    Has anybody seen anything about that useless Middlesboro twat Rhys Williams, his 28 day loan should have now finished and we do not surely need him......perhaps he could take the other useless trollope Roger Johnson on a site seeing visit to Boro', it would probably reminded him of that other deprived place where he was last employed, the useless w----r.
  • Options
    Not entirely buying that Watt didn't want to be here, he's moved to a team that are only a few places above us so he's still going to be involved in a relegation battle. He's clearly loved at Charlton and well regarded as our best player, me thinks that the board just wanted to get a fee for him to keep their budget in check.
  • Options
    sarge1g said:

Has anybody seen anything about that useless Middlesboro twat Rhys Williams, his 28 day loan should have now finished and we do not surely need him......perhaps he could take the other useless trollope Roger Johnson on a site seeing visit to Boro', it would probably reminded him of that other deprived place where he was last employed, the useless w----r.

Ketts on the Dr Kish site said a few days ago, that Williams went back to Boro, when his month loan was finished last week.

• Options
    Williams loan was a 28 day loan started on 2nd January, therefore should have been available for yesterday, but was never going to play, so probably released to go back to Boro
  • Options
    It does sound refreshing to hear JR talk about the 'right sort of player' that wants the same for Charlton, I seem to remember when we were in league 1, Sir Chris said the same sort of thing. He wanted a 'certain' type of player needed to get us out of that league.
    So well done Jose, I must admit I was a little disappointed when I heard the Reece Oxford loan was off BUT after listening to the man I am giving him my support with the decisions he makes until the end of this season (and hopefully beyond!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He has lifted some of the doom and gloom. I feel more confident about our chances of going back up with him there next season, should we fail to survive this time.
  • Options
    Great interview Louis, asking the questions that the fans want answered, superb.

A bit like when you happen upon a DJ, that plays music you like.

Riga won me over last time after a couple of games.

Despite what Oakster keeps saying, he is 100% not part of the network.

He's his own man & I reckon that's partly why he wasn't kept on before. That and the fact that Peeters had already been lined up.

Riga can keep us up, but our biggest problem is that we've already played Bolton, Rotherham & Fulham at home.
  • Options

Great interview Louis, asking the questions that the fans want answered, superb.

A bit like when you happen upon a DJ, that plays music you like.

Riga won me over last time after a couple of games.

Despite what Oakster keeps saying, he is 100% not part of the network.

He's his own man & I reckon that's partly why he wasn't kept on before. That and the fact that Peeters had already been lined up.

Riga can keep us up, but our biggest problem is that we've already played Bolton, Rotherham & Fulham at home.

The way we played yesterday, and especially if we keep Lookman, looks perfectly suited for a counter attacking style, which would better in away games anyway
  • Options
    Little snippet of his comments in The Metro this morning.
  • Options

Not entirely buying that Watt didn't want to be here, he's moved to a team that are only a few places above us so he's still going to be involved in a relegation battle. He's clearly loved at Charlton and well regarded as our best player, me thinks that the board just wanted to get a fee for him to keep their budget in check.

I can imagine that Watt got the hump at the way he was suddenly shipped off to Cardiff, so therefore was not particularly overjoyed to be back. Still think it is a terrible waste of an exceptional natural talent, but can understand that Riga has other more pressing priorities.
  • Options
    If jose keeps us up for the second time he will be a Charlton legend and go in the history books
  • Options

If jose keeps us up for the second time he will be a Charlton legend and go in the history books

If he does, that would be a bit antisocial.

I mean, it's bad enough using highlighters or writing in the margins, but he'd be taking it a bit far....