Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barry Island

Going there on Friday for the weekend anyone been, and anything in particular I should make sure I see

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:

Sorry but it is one of the most depressing places this side of Skegness out of season. Useful if crack is your thing though.

Not much more to add really the boozers that are there are great for the wow factor (i didn't believe what I saw) trainspotting Toliets and sickboy lookalikes everywhere
  • Options
    I hear that on a clear day you can see Bristol.

Dangerous water as one of the highest tides in Briton.

Butlins used to be there but closed. Now an 'entertainment centre'. Probably means slot machines.

I would suggest going to see Bristol City play as not far away, but unfortunately they are away this Saturday. Second thoughts, I would still go and see them play!
  • Options
    I went to a soul weekender there in 1986, was drunk before we got there and didn't sober up until about London Bridge on the way home. Remember there was a massive steam train scrapyard just outside the town, with what seemed like hundreds of rusting old locos in it.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Have a look for Gavin and Stacey.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    It's not tidy.
  • Options
    I went on a school trip to the Steam engine scrapyard, that's all I know.
  • Options

I went to a soul weekender there in 1986, was drunk before we got there and didn't sober up until about London Bridge on the way home. Remember there was a massive steam train scrapyard just outside the town, with what seemed like hundreds of rusting old locos in it.

did you get any engine numbers?

proper Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought this was a thread about a new signing.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sorry Paulie, but I used to go all over the UK for my job. Probably stayed/worked in a couple of hundred different towns and Barry Island ranks #2 in my list of all time British shitholes.
  • Options

proper Charlton.
    No, but I've just looked it up on wiki and over 200 of the 297 there were saved.
  • Options
    Wow Paulie, looks like you've picked a cracking place for a dirty weekend away with the missus! Enjoy mate.
  • Options

proper Charlton.
    No, but I've just looked it up on wiki and over 200 of the 297 there were saved.
    it would be my boys idea of holiday heaven.
  • Options
    Stay in Barry, spend your time in Cardiff, Breacon Beacons or the Gower.
  • Options
    Blimey when was the last time you lot went to Barry Island?! It's had a huge makeover and it's quite smart now. I've pm'd you some suggestions @paulie8290
  • Options
    Last year I worked there for aweek
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not called Barry's island. It doesn't belong to a man called Barry.
  • Options

Last year I worked there for aweek

How does it compare to, say, Coventry ?

Poor Pauli, has a weekend away with the bird planned and everyone's pissed all over his chips, although my sympathy is limited because he should be going to the very important match at the Valley anyway !
  • Options
    Coventry is the biggest shit hole in the world ever

Charlton life is like TripAdvisor you ask you get told
  • Options

Stay in Barry, spend your time in Cardiff, Breacon Beacons or the Gower.

I've never been in Barry myself, but can confirm that all of Exiled Addicks suggestions are good.
  • Options

Last week I worked there for a year

:smile:
  • Options
    Best take a trip into Cardiff city centre for the nightclubs. Barry will be cold and wet.
  • Options
    Went to Butlins on my first secondary school trip (probably around 1978). Remember abseiling down a building, pony-trekking nearby up in the hills/woods. One horse bolted down the hill, through the trees with a screaming classmate hanging on for dear life. He was a wreck for the rest of the week, while we pissed ourselves laughing. First of many school trips with some illicit booze nights :smile:

Sorry though Paulie. Nothing since then, so I've missed out on the joyful place it became. Enjoy :smile:
  • Options

Best take a trip into Cardiff city centre for the nightclubs. Barry will be cold and wet.

So will Barry's missus!! :wink:
  • Options
    not as bad as people make out .. met some lovely girls when I was there (but Paulie .. you're married with a new little un) .. great big park in the centre (or is that just Barry Town) .. there are far worse places in Britain .. hotels were/are cheap ... great seascapes .. enjoy