Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adam Johnson

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2016

Can somebody enlighten me.

Johnson pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child under 16 and one count of grooming.

In the reporting of the trial which was about two further charges of sexual activity with a child under 16, they refer repeatedly to the guilty plea as "kissing" the girl.

At the trial he only admitted kissing during his testimony. I have looked at the law on this and "kissing on the mouth" is not a definition of sexual activity - so what did he actually do?

Sorry guys with respect you may have missed the point. He pleaded guilty (and therefore there was no prosecution or defence made) to an act of sexual activity with a child under 16.

He was then found guilty of a second act (which was reported as putting as putting his hand inside her pants) and not guilty of a third act (which was reported as her giving him oral sex). What I am trying to establish is what was the sexual activity to which he pleaded guilty? The press have reported it as kissing but kissing is not a sexual activity (as defined in Law) unless it involves penetration of the victims body other than her mouth. So what did he do?

Can somebody enlighten me.

Johnson pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child under 16 and one count of grooming.

In the reporting of the trial which was about two further charges of sexual activity with a child under 16, they refer repeatedly to the guilty plea as "kissing" the girl.

At the trial he only admitted kissing during his testimony. I have looked at the law on this and "kissing on the mouth" is not a definition of sexual activity - so what did he actually do?

'digital penetration' was the main thing I believe.
    If it was that VG, why did he plead not guilty to the second sexual activity count of which he was found guilty which was putting his hands down her pants? Unless I am being very naive here and "digital penetration" was accepted as being achieved without putting his hands inside her pants which he denied?
    I think from what I've read, the four charges are:
    Grooming: Johnson pleaded guilty;
    Kissing: Johnson pleaded guilty;
    Touching/digital penetration/fingering: Johnson denied it but is found guilty;
    Oral sex: Johnson denied it and is found not guilty.
    That's what I have read but "kissing" (mouth to mouth) is not sexual activity (as defined in law) - so what did he actually do?
    Don't think you're getting an answer, give it up mate...
    A bit creepy constantly asking this. You don't need to know.
    That is bordering on the offensive.

I didn't realise I had to clear all my questions with you before asking them.

I'm bored with this now.
  • Options
    How come Graham Rix got 12 months for having sex with an under age girl of 15 and Adam Johnson is looking at 4-10 years?
  • Options
    Sentencing guidelines may have changed since then
  • Options
    I think Rix was a one off drunk night after a party in a hot tub rather than grooming and offering signed shirts in return for a kiss etc.

*I am not saying getting drunk and sleeping with a child is any better just trying to think of why it might be seen differently by the law.
  • Options

I think Rix was a one off drunk night after a party in a hot tub rather than grooming and offering signed shirts in return for a kiss etc.

*I am not saying getting drunk and sleeping with a child is any better just trying to think of why it might be seen differently by the law.

This - although both are abhorrent.

With Johnson it was planned and calculated - malice aforethought. Pretty much the differential between murder and manslaughter.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Am I missing something or is the Fulham thing a story about 16-17 year old boys sending innocent messages to a 16 year old girl.

Hold the front page.

Edit. Seen others mention same above now.
  • Options
    16 is legal even of it'd be weird if they were in their mid to late twenties... Therefore this is even more of a non story seeing as they targeted the under 18's...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder how they picked Fulham of all clubs... simply because if they'd decided to go after Charlton presumably the dropped case against Cousins a few years back would suddenly be resurrected, which would be extremely unfortunate and probably reported with a slant besides.
  • Options
    Hope Nla doesnt read Katie Hopkins' article on this story.

I feel badly about reading it myself.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Hope Nla doesnt read Katie Hopkins' article on this story.

I feel badly about reading it myself.

She does seem to be free of the shackles of offending people that have a very strong opposing view.

Much of what she says makes sense but she speaks as though she has a lot more information, than I do, on the girl that was involved. Some of the 'suggestions' as to the behaviour of the 15/16 year old are credible but in the absence of actual facts I have no idea if they are true or just supposition on behalf of Ms Hopkins.

Either way it does look as though the Ms Hopkins (and many of those that commented) believes that fifteen year old girls are not to be excluded responsibility for their actions, even if a grown man needs to be responsible for his.
  • Options
    I sometimes agree with Hopkins' points but they are delivered in such an antagonising way it becomes obvious attention seekng.
  • Options

I sometimes agree with Hopkins' points but they are delivered in such an antagonising way it becomes obvious attention seekng.

This, no doubt she speaks her mind, and does get a lot of people saying "she's got a point".
  • Options
    Sunderland CEO resigns as a result of the Johnson case
  • Options
    Maybe that will give our CEO a hint on what to do.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Maybe that will give our CEO a hint on what to do.

The similarities are uncanny.....backgrounds in law, female, aged in their 30s, useless etc..
  • Options
    A CEO takes responsibility and resigns.
    Hint Hint.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Sunderland CEO resigns as a result of the Johnson case

According to the BBC, the Sunderland CEO earns £630,000 pa. She is also a former solicitor.

Now that's a good job for KM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Hmm, I can't see this campaign taking off personally. I certainly hope it doesn't:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/08/footballer-adam-johnson-sister-justice-for-johnson-facebook

The sister of disgraced footballer Adam Johnson has posted a “Justice for Johnson” photograph on Facebook following his child sex offence convictions.

Faye Johnson posted a black-and-white image of her brother with his one-year-old daughter wearing a Sunderland AFC shirt with “Daddy” on the back.

The Facebook picture is titled “Justice for Johnson” and urges followers: “Change your profile picture to support Adam Johnson’s appeal. Facebook removed our group but we will not stop publicising our support #TeamAJ”.

It is the first public comment from Johnson’s family since he was found guilty at Bradford crown court last week of sexual activity with a child.

The former England and Sunderland player, 28, is facing a custodial sentence later this month. The judge said his preliminary view was that the case fell into the category of a five-year prison sentence with a range of four to 10 years. Johnson admitted kissing and grooming the 15-year-old schoolgirl and was found guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child. He was cleared of one further count.

Johnson’s barrister, Orlando Pownall QC, told the court he intended to appeal against the guilty verdict for child sexual activity. He was convicted after a jury returned a majority verdict of 10 to two.

Faye Johnson attended almost every day of her brother’s three-week trial, sitting in the public gallery alongside her father, Dave, and Johnson’s ex-girlfriend Stacey Flounders.

Her public show of support for her brother came hours after a Facebook page in support of Johnson was removed from the site.

More than 1,000 people “liked” the Adam Johnson Appeal Fight page before it was taken down. The page featured comments about his victim that angered members of the public, who complained to Facebook and asked for it to be removed.

Among those angry about the appeal page were the anonymous paedophile hunters, Dark Justice. One of the Tyneside-based pair said: “We think it’s crazy such a page even got made and some of the stuff said on there was sick. There was no need at all. We’re glad it’s gone.”
  • Options
    Do you think she's intelligent enough to understand that he pleaded guilty to two of the four counts?
  • Options

Do you think she's intelligent enough to understand that he pleaded guilty to two of the four counts?

No

• Options

Hmm, I can't see this campaign taking off personally. I certainly hope it doesn't:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/08/footballer-adam-johnson-sister-justice-for-johnson-facebook

The sister of disgraced footballer Adam Johnson has posted a “Justice for Johnson” photograph on Facebook following his child sex offence convictions.

Faye Johnson posted a black-and-white image of her brother with his one-year-old daughter wearing a Sunderland AFC shirt with “Daddy” on the back.

The Facebook picture is titled “Justice for Johnson” and urges followers: “Change your profile picture to support Adam Johnson’s appeal. Facebook removed our group but we will not stop publicising our support #TeamAJ”.

It is the first public comment from Johnson’s family since he was found guilty at Bradford crown court last week of sexual activity with a child.

The former England and Sunderland player, 28, is facing a custodial sentence later this month. The judge said his preliminary view was that the case fell into the category of a five-year prison sentence with a range of four to 10 years. Johnson admitted kissing and grooming the 15-year-old schoolgirl and was found guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child. He was cleared of one further count.

Johnson’s barrister, Orlando Pownall QC, told the court he intended to appeal against the guilty verdict for child sexual activity. He was convicted after a jury returned a majority verdict of 10 to two.

Faye Johnson attended almost every day of her brother’s three-week trial, sitting in the public gallery alongside her father, Dave, and Johnson’s ex-girlfriend Stacey Flounders.

Her public show of support for her brother came hours after a Facebook page in support of Johnson was removed from the site.

More than 1,000 people “liked” the Adam Johnson Appeal Fight page before it was taken down. The page featured comments about his victim that angered members of the public, who complained to Facebook and asked for it to be removed.

Among those angry about the appeal page were the anonymous paedophile hunters, Dark Justice. One of the Tyneside-based pair said: “We think it’s crazy such a page even got made and some of the stuff said on there was sick. There was no need at all. We’re glad it’s gone.”

Faaaarrrrrrrkin' hell, that is the most ill-advised campaign ever. What the hell is their angle?!
  • Options
    Katie Hopkins is a twat but her piece on this story does to be fair make a lot of sense. Reluctantly saying that.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

This - although both are abhorrent.

With Johnson it was planned and calculated - malice aforethought. Pretty much the differential between murder and manslaughter.
    All sentencing guidelines have aggravating and mitigating factors which will adjust the length or type of any sentence from a starting point somewhere in the middle of the range.

I would imagine in Johnson's case there are few mitigating factors and plenty of aggravating ones - particularly given the intimate nature of the text conversations, pre-arrangement of meeting and his google searches.

Can't remember the circumstances around Rix, but if it was one drunken occasion and nothing was premeditated there would almost certainly have been far more mitigation than aggravation.
  • Options

Faaaarrrrrrrkin' hell, that is the most ill-advised campaign ever. What the hell is their angle?!
    They're obviously trying to use his daughter to gain sympathy from people. #Team AJ....... Why isn't there a throw-up emoticon for me to post on here?
  • Options

Presumably it'll be the usual social media/internet campaign against a sex-crime conviction.

Blame the victim
    Present an idealised version of the guilty person's personality
    Use innocent bystanders, especially children
    Lots of smiling photographs
  • Options
    In their defence what he did was not right but there is some controversy over the sequence of events - Katie Hopkins is not the only one that thinks that there was less 'grooming' and more willingness on behalf of the teenage girl who would have been legally allowed to enter into a full sexual relationship in other countries in Europe.

However, the most significant factor in this, irrespective as to if we agree or not, is that his sister wants to keep him out of prison for a crime that 'suggests' that he is no danger to society.