Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Konchesky

Comments

• If Powell was not around at the same time, Konchesky would have made 300 appearances for us.
  • cafctom said:

wmcf123 said:

cafctom said:

Konchesky at Left Back and Holmes Dennis at LM would have worked.

Fox could have still been Left Back in the changing room.

Not a Fox fan but I wouldn't replace him with Konchesky . He was really good on debut (anyone else recall that really hot day against Oxford?) and had some useful games in midfield . Pretty average left back
    The guy has spent the best part of the last 15 years playing in the Premier League and has represented England. Any League One side (and most Championship sides) would be welcome a player of that experience with open arms.

Huge opportunity missed.
    A mystery as to how that happened really. Good on him
  • Dave2l said:

We have terrible scouts.

If gillingham can afford him surely we could.

The bloke must have pain in the ass wages though.

Ex Liverpool is still ex Liverpool....and obviously QPR.

Does Slade want him though... People will laugh but I'd rather have a young Morgan Fox who should do well at League One level rather than a team full of players on their way out and are looking for their last pay cheque.

Paul Konchesky didnt really enthuse me much when we played Queens Park Rangers last season anyway
  • cafctom said:

wmcf123 said:

cafctom said:

Not a Fox fan but I wouldn't replace him with Konchesky . He was really good on debut (anyone else recall that really hot day against Oxford?) and had some useful games in midfield . Pretty average left back
    The guy has spent the best part of the last 15 years playing in the Premier League and has represented England. Any League One side (and most Championship sides) would be welcome a player of that experience with open arms.

Huge opportunity missed.
    He represented England and lost 3-1 against Australia (also played 45mins against Argentina) thats like saying we should sign Michael Ricketts because he's an England International
  • edited July 2016

cafctom said:

wmcf123 said:

cafctom said:

Huge opportunity missed.
    He represented England and lost 3-1 against Australia (also played 45mins against Argentina) thats like saying we should sign Michael Ricketts because he's an England International
    Or Francis Jeffers......

TBF Konchesky has had a decent career.
  • cafctom said:

wmcf123 said:

cafctom said:

Huge opportunity missed.
    Or Francis Jeffers......

He's had a decent career but think this is a signing for Gillingham that proves he's slowly on the way out

Cant add Franny Jeffers though as he's got an England goal to his name... Would snap him up in an instant for that reason
  • cafctom said:

wmcf123 said:

cafctom said:

Huge opportunity missed.
    Or Francis Jeffers......

He's had a decent career but think this is a signing for Gillingham that proves he's slowly on the way out

Cant add Franny Jeffers though as he's got an England goal to his name... Would snap him up in an instant for that reason
    Agreed.
  • cafctom said:

wmcf123 said:

cafctom said:

Huge opportunity missed.
    He also played for England in a game where they beat Argentina.

Besides, he still spent the majority of his career at the top level and we are in the third division.

• If we were relying on Archie Edwards to be our first choice Left-Back this season then I'd say sign him.

As it is we've got Morgan Fox whose career is on the way up with every appearance he makes (i.e. why else would Birmingham be interested in him) and then we've got Tarieq Holmes-Dennis who will also be excellent at this level.

At present for me Left-Back is the last position we need to worry about
  • Sponsored links:

• I still cant believe people thought Konchesky was not up to playing left back, he was never going to be first choice, but then we did have the luxury of one of the best defenders in the country at that time. As cafctom has written he played 15 years in the top division. That's a good career, better than most. Take away the meaningless England cap, which he got as a bit of a thank you for services to the U21's and his career stands up against most.
    At our level he would read the game so well it wouldn't matter if he has lost a yard or two of pace.
  • Brilliant debut against Oxford. But I remember him getting beaten for pace by Alan Maybury 8n his early twenties. Not sure we have enough pace in the squad. I'd rather not see him anywhere near us.
  • Ironically, around the time he got his England cap, Konch was the effectively the third choice left back at Charlton, behind the Hermanator and Chris Powell.

I'm pleased he's had a good career and that he's managed to get a contract with Gillingham. However, left back is probably the only position in the entire squad where we have adequate cover with Morgan Fox and THD. He's also 35.
  • cafctom said:

Spent most of his career playing in the Premier League. We would never be able to afford his wages.

He must now be set up for life now; if it was me, I'd return to me old club and play for peanuts and enjoy a couple of years giving back to the sport that sorted me out for life.
    So off to Norwich?
  • If he wasn't an ex player would people be saying the same things?

He's 35, looking at his last contract in football.

Crofts is 32 and getting lots of flack about his age and whether he could do a job for us.
  • cafctom said:

wmcf123 said:

cafctom said:

Huge opportunity missed.
    Or Francis Jeffers......

Playing for the caravan dwellers surely means you are rapidly on the way out.
  • iaitch said:

If he wasn't an ex player would people be saying the same things?

He's 35, looking at his last contract in football.

Crofts is 32 and getting lots of flack about his age and whether he could do a job for us.

Exactly this...
  • Strong rumour down here that he's about to sign for Billericay town.
  • Strong rumour down here that he's about to sign for Billericay town.

My friends a Billericay fan and he thinks they've got some money behind them so could well be true.
  • edited February 2017
    se9addick said:

Strong rumour down here that he's about to sign for Billericay town.

My friends a Billericay fan and he thinks they've got some money behind them so could well be true.
    They have. A fella called Tamplin who is absolutely minted.

Soon to be The non league Man City.
  • Sponsored links:

• They've taken a couple of players from Bromley who are two leagues above them.
  • LouisMend said:

They've taken a couple of players from Bromley who are two leagues above them.

And Woking I think.
  • se9addick said:

Strong rumour down here that he's about to sign for Billericay town.

They have. A fella called Tamplin who is absolutely minted.

Soon to be The non league Man City.
    Tamplin says he's had lots of offers of help from the fans and he will use them all. It's their club. Just like Roland then, oh no hang on.....
  • LouisMend said:

Considering Konch was playing for the current champions of England less than two years ago,this would be quite a coup.
  • LouisMend said:

Considering Konch was playing for the current champions of England less than two years ago,this would be quite a coup.
    I bet that's how Konchesky's agent introduces him !
  • Billericay Chairman is putting in £50k per month....will be interesting to see how long he lasts there.

It's become a handy outlet for clubs who want to shift high earning/poor performing players out of their squad.
  • Billericay Chairman is putting in £50k per month....will be interesting to see how long he lasts there.

It's become a handy outlet for clubs who want to shift high earning/poor performing players out of their squad.

I've heard that their wage bill is now up to £13k/week.

They've got one bloke on £1k/week....one on £950 and another on £800.

• I wonder if he's not chosen to play his mum will go storming into the managers office???????

I thought that was Charltons role
    Yes we led the way at (currently) a higher level.