Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drinking at football

Was just wondering, when looking at the Target 20K thread and thinking of sarcastic replies to how we could improve the 'Matchday Experience'

Does anyone know why:
- Some clubs don't sell beer/alcohol at all?
- Why it's only allowed in concourses, this only applies to football I think?
- Which competitions don't allow alcohol to be served? (and why?)

Comments

• Options
    There's a silly rule at T20 County Cricket whereby no one can buy more than 4 drinks at each purchase occasion. So, if you are in a group of 5, two people have to go to the bar. It doesn't stop the number of visits though, so a group of 4 could each visit three times and consume 12 pints.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    I didnt think it was up to the clubs?

I thought it was law enforced by the Government / UEFA / FIFA / FA or whoever
  • Options
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a governing body rule, but then I'm sure I've been to away league games where they just don't serve beer?
  • Options

Was just wondering, when looking at the Target 20K thread and thinking of sarcastic replies to how we could improve the 'Matchday Experience'

Does anyone know why:

1) the only clubs in England that don't sell alcohol are where the sales kiosks are in view of the pitch (like Watfords away end) - they must lose a fortune. In Scotland all league grounds are dry (apart from the corporate) !

2) alcohol is not allowed to be consumed in view of the pitch from 15 mins before to 15 mins after the game, that's why it's only sold on the concourses. I was in Hamburg las week and a guy walks up and down the aisle with a back pack full of beer and when you want one, at any time, you just give him a shout and he hands you a pint.

3) i believe UEFA competitions don't allow alcohol to be served inside the stadium (again, apart from in the corporate areas) - I have no idea, I'm sure Heineken are a major sponsor of the Champions League
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Does anyone know why:

1) the only clubs in England that don't sell alcohol are where the sales kiosks are in view of the pitch (like Watfords away end) - they must lose a fortune. In Scotland all league grounds are dry (apart from the corporate) !

2) alcohol is not allowed to be consumed in view of the pitch from 15 mins before to 15 mins after the game, that's why it's only sold on the concourses. I was in Hamburg las week and a guy walks up and down the aisle with a back pack full of beer and when you want one, at any time, you just give him a shout and he hands you a pint.

3) i believe UEFA competitions don't allow alcohol to be served inside the stadium (again, apart from in the corporate areas) - I have no idea, I'm sure Heineken are a major sponsor of the Champions League
    That may explain why you can only get served at The Emirates if you're in the 'Club' area for Champions League games! Things are starting to make sense...
  • Options
    I've been to England Qualifiers at Wembley and couldnt get served whilst have had a beer at a Friendly.

Same with Sheffield United away one year they have yellow boxes in front of the entrance to the seats, stood in there for a second as I was drinking a beer to see if the players had come out for their warm up and got told off by a steward
  • Options

There's a silly rule at T20 County Cricket whereby no one can buy more than 4 drinks at each purchase occasion. So, if you are in a group of 5, two people have to go to the bar. It doesn't stop the number of visits though, so a group of 4 could each visit three times and consume 12 pints.

Not limited to T20 county cricket, similar rules at most major events.
  • Options
    brentford for example its a non alcohol ground something to do with size.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Does anyone know why:

It's this, it's an FA rule saying that alcohol cannot be sold or consumed within view of the pitch. The same also applies to UEFA matches.

If you look at this weekend, where a coin was thrown at Chris Brunt from his own supporters, and at Manchester City players celebrating a goal at Chelsea, I don't know that supporters are ready to be *trusted* with alcohol during the match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dortmund was a surreal experience being able to have a cigarette and drink a pint whilst sat in your seat, the bars in the stadium open 2 hours before kick off and its a real social event, they had music on stages outside numerous beer tents.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

Does anyone know why:

It's this, it's an FA rule saying that alcohol cannot be sold or consumed within view of the pitch. The same also applies to UEFA matches.

If you look at this weekend, where a coin was thrown at Chris Brunt from his own supporters, and at Manchester City players celebrating a goal at Chelsea, I don't know that supporters are ready to be *trusted* with alcohol during the match.
    For anyone unsure that means its a rule set out by the Football Association rather than a rule I've set before anyone wants to blame me
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

Does anyone know why:

I'm not sure, if it's to avoid drunken bad behaviour then I think it actually makes things worse because people neck far more before the game than they would if kick off didn't curtail their drinking.

I think it's just another example of football fans being victimised, I'm too young to have known much about the hooligan stuff of the 1980's/early '90s (which, let's be honest, is where these rules come from) yet for some reason I'm penalised for things that happened decades ago.
  • Options
    Dartford FC have a very well stocked bar serving real ale. The bar has panoramic windows with views of the pitch, but I believe shutters come down when the game starts and you have to vacate the bar.
  • Options

dortmund was a surreal experience being able to have a cigarette and drink a pint whilst sat in your seat, the bars in the stadium open 2 hours before kick off and its a real social event, they had music on stages outside numerous beer tents.

Most West European countries are similar, they let you drink and smoke at your seat. To be honest having a break for an hour or two has often proven good for me.

In Argentina and Uruguay I've been breathalysed before going in. I don't know what the limit is but if you're drunk you're not getting in. Brazil only sold non-alcoholic beer.
  • Options
    The ridiculous thing about UEFA's ban on the ground selling alcohol is that FIFA do the exact opposite. I went to the World Cup in Brazil and, for its beer sponsor, FIFA forced Brazil to change its law banning the sale of alcohol in stadiums. It was sold on the concourse and you could take it to your seat, it was brilliant. How can UEFA justify their ban if FIFA do the complete opposite? Although doing the opposite of FIFA would not normally be seen as a bad thing.
  • Options
    Anyone know what the thinking behind the UEFA rule is ?
  • Options
    Cant wait to see FIFA forcing Qatar to allow beer to be sold... Oh to be a fly on the wall in that meeting
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    cafcinse6 said:

The ridiculous thing about UEFA's ban on the ground selling alcohol is that FIFA do the exact opposite. I went to the World Cup in Brazil and, for its beer sponsor, FIFA forced Brazil to change its law banning the sale of alcohol in stadiums. It was sold on the concourse and you could take it to your seat, it was brilliant. How can UEFA justify their ban if FIFA do the complete opposite? Although doing the opposite of FIFA would not normally be seen as a bad thing.

At the Euros in Ukraine I remember being able to take beer to my seat, and that's a UEFA event. Possibly a case of them not caring, or an exception being made because of sponsorship. (Or being too drunk to remember it correctly)
  • Options

Cant wait to see FIFA forcing Qatar to allow beer to be sold... Oh to be a fly on the wall in that meeting

I think there's a few other laws FIFA should also be encouraging Qatar to repeal at the same time !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

I think there's a few other laws FIFA should also be encouraging Qatar to repeal at the same time !
    Nah they're not bothered about the Human Rights issues in Qatar, there's no money in it for them
  • Options
    I thought the alcohol in view of the pitch thing came about as part of the Taylor Report, post Hillsborough? Which is undermined by the 'revelation' that alcohol had little, if anything to do with the events that unfolded.

But as mentioned above, there's plenty of evidence available - our own supporters as well as those on TV at the weekend - to counter any argument that the ruling should be changed.
  • Options

First off, you can pretend like no booze on the pitch has nothing to do with you, but we all know you're an enemy of football!

Also, FIFA have already reached an agreement with Qatar that booze will be served. If we have learned nothing else from the last couple decades, we should all know that FIFA is more powerful than any sovereign nation or the religious practices therein.

http://web.archive.org/web/20091115172536/http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10112009/58/world-cup-qatar-2022-green-lights-israel-booze.html
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I thought the alcohol in view of the pitch thing came about as part of the Taylor Report, post Hillsborough? Which is undermined by the 'revelation' that alcohol had little, if anything to do with the events that unfolded.

But as mentioned above, there's plenty of evidence available - our own supporters as well as those on TV at the weekend - to counter any argument that the ruling should be changed.

That's what I thought Jimmy. The Taylor report and the subsequent Football Act 1992.
    Ipswich don't serve alcohol (or didn't at least when I last went), but there again I can't recall if their bar at the away end is in view of the pitch.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

Does anyone know why:

I haven't looked to see if the FA say anything on this topic. But if they do it's merely to underpin the Govt. legislation.

The Sporting Events (Control Of Alcohol Etc) Act 1985 is the relevant legislation.

That act provides provisions to prevent:-

drunken entry into a football ground (which, in practice, to be an arrestable offence includes disorderly behaviour);

the consumption of alcohol within view of the playing area including, during the restricted period (15 minutes before the start of the event to 15 minutes after the end of the event), rooms within the ground from which the event may be directly viewed;

the consumption of alcohol on certain coaches, trains and motor vehicles travelling to a designated football match;

the possession of fireworks or flares.

The Act applies to the following sporting events:-

Association football matches in which one or both of the participating teams represents a club which is for the time being a member (whether a full or associate member) of the Football League, the Football Association Premier League, the Football Conference National Division, the Scottish Football League or Welsh Premier League, or represents a country or territory.
    Association football matches in competition the Football association Cup (other than in the preliminary or qualifying round).

The Act does not apply at grounds where a match is being watched on a screen as part of a 'beam back'.

Penalties vary according to the offence they range from a fine to a fine and/or a jail sentence of up to three months. It is noteworthy that an individual, say, stewarding coach travel can be guilty of an offence as well as the drinker.
  • Options
    At Conference North/South and below, local FAs can ban alcohol (and council licensing departments can do their thing too). Irritatingly, all FA Cup/Trophy/Vase matches have to be alcohol-free, even if you're at a non-league club where you can merrily swig booze at for league matches. Some clubs just ban it anyway.

Crowds at Dulwich Hamlet have ballooned recently - it's nice to be able to watch a match with a pint, especially at night, and they've opened a little pitchside bar (tokens only while they deal with a couple of issues with Southwark licensing).

They used to turn a blind eye to the odd can being brought in, but they've had to start enforcing a ban on booze being taken into the ground because of idiots bringing bottles in and leaving them around the place, and the number of twats who swan in with cases of Stella they'd bought from the Sainsbury's next door.

I went to St Pauli last year - like most German grounds you can get a drink and take it to your seat. You pay a deposit on the cup, so cheapskates can grab a few discarded cups and get the cost of their beer back ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So, Roly's plan is to get us into the Conference South, get the fanbase up to 20k, then sell us shitload of Belgian beer and he makes £££ ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO8jpo5E48Q
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

Does anyone know why:

I haven't looked to see if the FA say anything on this topic. But if they do it's merely to underpin the Govt. legislation.

The Sporting Events (Control Of Alcohol Etc) Act 1985 is the relevant legislation.

drunken entry into a football ground (which, in practice, to be an arrestable offence includes disorderly behaviour);

the consumption of alcohol within view of the playing area including, during the restricted period (15 minutes before the start of the event to 15 minutes after the end of the event), rooms within the ground from which the event may be directly viewed;

the consumption of alcohol on certain coaches, trains and motor vehicles travelling to a designated football match;

Association football matches in which one or both of the participating teams represents a club which is for the time being a member (whether a full or associate member) of the Football League, the Football Association Premier League, the Football Conference National Division, the Scottish Football League or Welsh Premier League, or represents a country or territory.
    Association football matches in competition the Football association Cup (other than in the preliminary or qualifying round).

The Act does not apply at grounds where a match is being watched on a screen as part of a 'beam back'.

Penalties vary according to the offence they range from a fine to a fine and/or a jail sentence of up to three months. It is noteworthy that an individual, say, stewarding coach travel can be guilty of an offence as well as the drinker.
    I guess that's why you cant drink on the valley express.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

Does anyone know why:

I guess that's why you cant drink on the valley express.
    Correcting - that's why you can't get caught drinking on the Valley Express !