Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drinking at football

Comments

• Options

brentford for example its a non alcohol ground something to do with size.

Not for home fans.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a governing body rule, but then I'm sure I've been to away league games where they just don't serve beer?

A couple of years ago Bristol City didn't serve to away fans and last season Fulham stopped serving beer just before the end of half time.

Do friendly matches have different rules?

For instance, pre-season at welling it's pretty common to see people enjoying the sun with a pitcher of beer - and there are even beer sellers in the stand.

Then in the KSC at Bromley you weren't allowed to take Alcohol out of the bar, and shutters came down just before kick-off.

Judging by the rules summarised in this thread, both of those matches aren't eligible to have alcohol in view of the pitch because there is a member of the Football League playing?
  • Options
    It enough to drive you to drink...
  • Options
    I need the old hip flask more than ever these days.
  • Options
    I guess the "trendy" experience of throwing beer everywhere in pubs etc. soon be seen in the stands...
    Thats as welcome as Vuvuzelas, someone throws a drink on me at football they are getting hit 
  • Options
    The ridiculous thing about UEFA's ban on the ground selling alcohol is that FIFA do the exact opposite. I went to the World Cup in Brazil and, for its beer sponsor, FIFA forced Brazil to change its law banning the sale of alcohol in stadiums. It was sold on the concourse and you could take it to your seat, it was brilliant. How can UEFA justify their ban if FIFA do the complete opposite? Although doing the opposite of FIFA would not normally be seen as a bad thing.
    At the Euros in Ukraine I remember being able to take beer to my seat, and that's a UEFA event. Possibly a case of them not caring, or an exception being made because of sponsorship. (Or being too drunk to remember it correctly)
    Probably non-alcoholic. Plenty of Eng away games I’ve done where that has been the case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The ridiculous thing about UEFA's ban on the ground selling alcohol is that FIFA do the exact opposite. I went to the World Cup in Brazil and, for its beer sponsor, FIFA forced Brazil to change its law banning the sale of alcohol in stadiums. It was sold on the concourse and you could take it to your seat, it was brilliant. How can UEFA justify their ban if FIFA do the complete opposite? Although doing the opposite of FIFA would not normally be seen as a bad thing.
    At the Euros in Ukraine I remember being able to take beer to my seat, and that's a UEFA event. Possibly a case of them not caring, or an exception being made because of sponsorship. (Or being too drunk to remember it correctly)
    Probably non-alcoholic. Plenty of Eng away games I’ve done where that has been the case.
    the euro's was sponsored by Heineken 0% which Pogba removed from the interview desk as muslims don't drink
  • Options
    in Scotland you still cant get a beer on the concourse never mind at your seat
  • Options
    the euro's was sponsored by Heineken 0% which Pogba removed from the interview desk as muslims don't drink
    They must get proper thirsty 
    genuine little LOL at my desk there
  • Options
    My past experience of the beer in the Valley is that it’s awful.  To be honest think I have had 1 pint in past 10 years or so because of this and people I know who still persist in having a beer at half time haven’t convinced me that it’s changed for the better. 
    I love a beer as much as anyone but wouldn’t want to drink during the game. 
    I much prefer a few decent pints beforehand and not to drink a poorly kept pint at inflated prices.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Carter said:
    I guess the "trendy" experience of throwing beer everywhere in pubs etc. soon be seen in the stands...
    Thats as welcome as Vuvuzelas, someone throws a drink on me at football they are getting hit 
    Oh, so you're the bloke who punched me when I played my vuvuzela recently.
  • Options
    I'm with Mr Golfaddick on this. 20/20 cricket is a proper nuisance because of shifting so people can get to the bar and go for a piss. This seems to be mostly so hipsters at Dulwich Hamlet can buy some Thruxtons Old Dirigible from a tent and drink it. We got a few kiddies watching us who keel over at one sniff of the barmaid's apron so let's leave things as they are. And some people will do the pints in the air thing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Always makes me laugh when people think that because you can't take your drink into the stands it must mean everyone is sober.

People spend 3 hours in the pub before the game, a couple of extra pints of watered down lager doesn't make any difference.
  • Options
    I’ve been watching rugby league for years.
    Never an issue taking beer in & it’s all very pleasant.
  • Options
    The beers are shite at the valley, they should really look at partnering up with a local brewery. I always try and get a pint at half time but it's madness that you have to leave your seats 4 or 5 minutes early just to have a decent chance of getting one in cross bar. Then when you finally do get served there is security telling you it's time to finish up 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    One word. Respect. Something much of the football going fraternity dont have unfortunately 
    Too much cnuts watch football 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Drinking before the game was all part of the ritual for me as a young man.
    The Lads of the Village, The Victoria, Watermans Arms and mostly the Horse and Groom.
    By the time we went to Selhurst I was getting plastered before games.
    Seems like another lifetime now.
    In the last 25 years I reckon I've only had a drink before the game about half a dozen times.
    Can't take the volume anymore.
    I like a Red Wine or 6 on a  Friday and Saturday night, but not at a game.
    I'd hate to be surrounded by tanked up punters at my seat in the ground, spilling drink on all and sundry.

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited September 2021
    I can say one thing, despite what some “experts” may claim, organised football hooliganism has never been driven by drinking, never was.
    individuals who kick off because they’ve had a few beers either before or at a game are exactly that, individuals, normally the ones who would do that in their local as well, two completely different things.

• Options
    I love a beer and a sesh and the football is more about that social side than the actual game for me on most occasions.

However I don’t think it’s a good idea as 1.it acts as a useful break when on an all day sesh. 2. Plenty of pricks will either throw it up in the air over everyone as is the recent fad or lob it on the pitch/into the other end. 3. I like to go mad when we score, but I won’t be able to let myself go if I’m two sips into a £5 larger. 4. The beer is often shit and over-priced.
  • Options
    I love a beer and a sesh and the football is more about that social side than the actual game for me on most occasions.

However I don’t think it’s a good idea as 1.it acts as a useful break when on an all day sesh. 2. Plenty of pricks will either throw it up in the air over everyone as is the recent fad or lob it on the pitch/into the other end. 3. I like to go mad when we score, but I won’t be able to let myself go if I’m two sips into a £5 larger. 4. The beer is often shit and over-priced.
    Basically all the things that I’ve been thinking about this announcement. I love beer, and I love football, but I’m pretty satisfied with the way it works at the moment.
  • Options
    You need a beer to get through rugby though. Tragically dull sport.