Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Privately-educated Premiership footballers

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

Tony Watt.

No. He went to St Andrew's High, a comprehensive in North Lanarkshire.

Edit: and isn't a Premiership footballer.
    It was a joke pal, remember Jackson claimed he was the thickest in the squad as did church.
  • Options

I believe that Lawrie Wilson went to Millfield.

He went to Millfield Prep, but I don't think he went to the main school.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Victor Moses and how old are you really?

Victor Moses was born in Lagos, Nigeria, the son of a Christian pastor. When he was 11, his parents were killed. A week later, with his travel being paid for by relatives, Moses came to Britain as an asylum seeker.

A terrible start to life, i agree, but in the local Paper at the time he was head and shoulders above his team mates when he was 13 and playing for Croydon schools.

See him now at 25 ? and he the same height now as he was at 13.

Not sure if Palace paid his school fees at Whitgift or he got a Bursary.

Do you remember the name of your school football coach ?
    Whitgift had Colin Pates and John Humpheys !
  • Options
    While we're one the subject, did anyone see James Blunts exchange on Twitter with some Liberal about this?
  • Options
    .....'Toffs' in music, not sport
  • Options

Chizz said:

There are many - possibly a majority, at some clubs - privately-educated players in rugby and cricket. But far fewer footballers (in percentage and actual terms) have come from "Public Schools".

Frank Lampard went to Brentwood
    Diego Poyet - Eltham College
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - St John's
    Victor Moses - Whitgift

Anyone else..?

Who gives a fuck?
    Well, for one, I find it quite interesting. There re two differences between football in England and rugby and cricket. One is the fact that so few footballers in England go though a private education. (I listed four, assuming there would be many, many more, but it seems not). The other is that England are among the world's best teams in cricket and rugby; but not football.

It might be interesting to see if there is a correlation. Although, apparently you don't think so.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Tony Watt.

It was a joke pal, remember Jackson claimed he was the thickest in the squad as did church.
    Attending a Public School doesn't make you intelligent. There are plenty of cases where parents' cash eases the way through a fee-paying school for the most empty-headed dullards.
  • Options
    It's "few", not "best"
  • Options
    IA said:

It's "few", not "best"

That wouldn't make sense!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Tony Watt.

Attending a Public School doesn't make you intelligent. There are plenty of cases where parents' cash eases the way through a fee-paying school for the most empty-headed dullards.
    Thanks for that I'll bear that in mind..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

Raheem Sterling.

No, he went to a comprehensive in Brent
    Was a tongue in bum cheek comment.
    you definitely went to private school
    I wish you hadn't gone to your mums for dinner the other night. You've really changed since then.
    you try getting wanked off by your dad at the dinner table, see if you come out normal...
  • Options
    Stewart Robson ex Arsenal, didn't he go to Eton or Harrow or one of the top schools?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Chizz said:

Raheem Sterling.

No, he went to a comprehensive in Brent
    Was a tongue in bum cheek comment.
    you definitely went to private school
    I wish you hadn't gone to your mums for dinner the other night. You've really changed since then.
    you try getting wanked off by your dad at the dinner table, see if you come out normal...
    I didn't realise it was at the dinner table. Now I know why your mum uses plastic table cloths.
  • Options
    Joe Pigott maybe?

Someone said last season that he doesnt have the drive like other players because his family is loaded...
  • Options
    Chizz said:

iamdan said:

Samir Carruthers

Which Public School?
    Public urinal?? Glass half full??
  • Options

Mido

Vialli
  • Options
    Duncan Watmore and Patrick Bamford both went to private school.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

IA said:

It's "few", not "best"

"England are among the world's few teams in cricket and rugby"

Makes perfect sense and is correct.

You're welcome.
  • Options

Nug said:

Chizz said:

Rio Ferdinand

He went to Blackheath Bluecoat.
    Don't think it was a private school, CofE I think. Closed down in the last couple of years.
    Voluntary Aided. Shithole as well. Ferdinand was a first year when I left I think. It most definitely was not a public school...
    I thought he went to Forest Hill Boys
  • Options
    IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

It's "few", not "best"

You're welcome.
    But not if you include the whole sentence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nug said:

Chizz said:

Rio Ferdinand

Don't think it was a private school, CofE I think. Closed down in the last couple of years.
    Voluntary Aided. Shithole as well. Ferdinand was a first year when I left I think. It most definitely was not a public school...
    my old graphics teacher was there and used to teach him before he taught at mine. Said he was a c***
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    cabbles said:

Nug said:

Chizz said:

Rio Ferdinand

my old graphics teacher was there and used to teach him before he taught at mine. Said he was a c***
    A very fair assessment.. It appears he hasn't changed much.
  • Options
    my old graphics teacher Mr Russell Bonus Pastor, used to be a truck driver and loved bridges? I remember for my graphics gcse project I redesigned the Charlton kits. 2 years just drawing different kits - ridiculous. I could've been learning code or Chinese.

Instead I'm colouring in football shirts.

Still, turned out alright in the end
  • Options
    cabbles said:

my old graphics teacher Mr Russell Bonus Pastor, used to be a truck driver and loved bridges? I remember for my graphics gcse project I redesigned the Charlton kits. 2 years just drawing different kits - ridiculous. I could've been learning code or Chinese.

Instead I'm colouring in football shirts.

Still, turned out alright in the end

You're just great, Cabes
  • Options
    Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

It's "few", not "best"

You're welcome.
    The whole sentence isn't correct the way you have it. England are clearly one of the best teams in football (a sport played at a competitive level by over 100 nations), and one of the few teams in rugby (12 nations). 5th or 6th out of 12 is clearly not "one of the best"
  • Options
    Gotta give this one to @IA , and when it comes to grammar and punctuation, I know my onions, as you all know.....
  • Options
    John Scales must have been
  • Options
    IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

It's "few", not "best"

You're welcome.
    The whole sentence isn't correct the way you have it. England are clearly one of the best teams in football (a sport played at a competitive level by over 100 nations), and one of the few teams in rugby (12 nations). 5th or 6th out of 12 is clearly not "one of the best"
    OK. So you understand my point that changing replacing "best"with "few" doesn't make sense. But, if you don't understand the point I am making, I'll re-word it.

England are ranked 2nd in the world at rugby and have recenetly been ranked 1st in Test cricket; however, they have never reached the top three in football, are currently 9th and average 10th.

I don't think 9th is good enough (do you?) - but first (cricket) and second (rugby) are achievable, realistic and creditable rankings.

So, in my view, we're broadly good enough in rugby and cricket; and not good enough in football.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited March 2016
    Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

It's "few", not "best"

You're welcome.
    OK. So you understand my point that changing replacing "best"with "few" doesn't make sense. But, if you don't understand the point I am making, I'll re-word it.

England are ranked 2nd in the world at rugby and have recenetly been ranked 1st in Test cricket; however, they have never reached the top three in football, are currently 9th and average 10th.

I don't think 9th is good enough (do you?) - but first (cricket) and second (rugby) are achievable, realistic and creditable rankings.

So, in my view, we're broadly good enough in rugby and cricket; and not good enough in football.
    Replacing 'best' with 'few' doesn't make sense only because the statement 'England are not one of the few teams in football' is incorrect (there are many teams, and England are one of them). 'Few' is definitely correct for rugby and cricket though.

If England are ranked 2nd in rugby, that shows that the rugby rankings are a load of shit - the 4 top SH teams are obviously better than anyone in Europe.

But maybe you're right about 9th not being good enough. Obviously in football, that means England are better than over 90 serious sides, but in rugby (with very few teams), that would not be good. I mean rugby has only 12 serious teams. Imagine if there was a World Cup in rugby and England finished outside the top 8. Imagine there were quarterfinals, and 8 other teams were in them, many of them nations with small populations. Now that would be bad.
  • Options
    Pmsl