Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell attacks RD's statement

Comments

• Options

Question for @PL54: #haveyoumetroly?

Have you me, Troly?
  • Options
    25May98 said:

'The' statement on the official website mentions 'some wanting the club to fail' in the same paragraph as 'we want Charlton to remain in the championship'.

My opinion of this is that the club view failure as relegation which is the point PL54 was trying to make (I think, you do say some daft things but I'm happy to defend you here).

Roland doesn't do failure so if we are relegated he will be very determined to get us promoted to prove a point. I hate him but he ain't selling just yet so my only hope is he floods the squad with quality players next season and forgets all about the break even - ffp etc....

Like he has done this season?
  • Options

PL54 said:

I am flattered by all the interest in my viewpoint, I really am.

I posted my thoughts a little while back when asked by someone else and I can't be arsed to write it all out again but in summary:

Some good
    Some bad
    Mixed results of late
    RD has shown no intent to sell
    I believe there's quite a bit of "look at me" in and around the protests and a few personal agendas
    Not of high enough importance in my life to justify getting upset over

And the survey now conforms my assertions (above) that people want failure for the club.

If relegation forces the current owner to sell up or re-think his current plan then I am all for it, dress it up and call it what you want but that is my bottom line. In all my years of supporting Charlton I have never been so angry, frustrated and despondent all of which is being caused by the circus the current owners call a "plan"

I am also privy as to what goes on behind the scenes as well and the culling of the experienced staff, especially in the facility's department is very worrying indeed.

I saw my first home game in 1967, fifty years next year, traveled all around the country watching the lads well before the M25 and motorway service centers were built.

I went to Selhurst Park, I went to Upton Park, stood in the rain for as long as I can remember on the East terrace and got equally wet whilst having a half time piss due to the lack of a roof on the toilet.

I was on the pitch against Stoke, I was back on there clearing up and building the famous bonfire, I was inside Woolwich Town Hall and I had three season tickets in the North stand from the return game against Pompey whilst the East stand was being debated.

I have cried tears of joy supporting Charlton and I have cried tears of disappointment, there were times when I would have given a limb if it would have helped my beloved club achieve the ambitions I craved for the football club I love.

I am not sure what your agenda is PL54 but the laid back, nonchalant, sometimes sarcastic approach you portray in your comments do not apply to every supporter, and certainly not me.

I am exactly the type of "customer" that KM does not want around, Male, in my 50's and full of historic memories from my past of supporting Charlton Athletic.

Do I want Charlton to be relegated.............of course I don't, do I want to join the season ticket boycott next season..........of course I don't. However I cannot stand by and watch a loved one, which is what Charlton are to me be torn apart and to be made the laughing stock of English football by a man and a women who do not have a clue how to run an English football club.
    Heartfelt and passionate sentiments Mike.
    As for PL54, it's not of high enough importance in his life, which is fine we can't all feel the same - but you do have to wonder about the mentality of somebody who comes on to a dedicated Charlton Forum, where inevitably passions will run high, with the apparent intent stoking those emotions for his own amusement.
    When we finally see this crackpot dictatorship off, the victory will be sweeter for the likes of you Mike.
    Keep the faith
    who? PL54?
  • Options
    Mackle said:

25May98 said:

Roland doesn't do failure so if we are relegated he will be very determined to get us promoted to prove a point. I hate him but he ain't selling just yet so my only hope is he floods the squad with quality players next season and forgets all about the break even - ffp etc....

Bizarre statement from Katrien as Uncle Roland does indeed do failure - other network clubs have been relegated, it's part of network life.

And fans of Standard Liege view mediocrity as failure too, they believe they should be challenging for honours.
    Who said that RD considers relegation as a failure, the only thing he considers a failure is not making money
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Being rich just means he's in a position to impose his ideas on all of us.

Ego AND wealth, dangerous combination

• Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

I am flattered by all the interest in my viewpoint, I really am.

I posted my thoughts a little while back when asked by someone else and I can't be arsed to write it all out again but in summary:

Some good
    Some bad
    Mixed results of late
    RD has shown no intent to sell
    I believe there's quite a bit of "look at me" in and around the protests and a few personal agendas
    Not of high enough importance in my life to justify getting upset over

And the survey now conforms my assertions (above) that people want failure for the club.

and horse racing?
    It'd be fine if the horses didn't keep dieing
    That's kind of like watching Charlton, which would be fine if the opposition didn't keep scoring more goals than us.
  • Options

PL54
    I'm not sure how you define 'failure for the club.' Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win a war. From what I have read, this is what those who are prepared to accept relegation (which is nigh-on inevitable) have in mind.

For me, 'failure for the club' would be ignoring the history of CAFC, employing an incompetent CEO, loading the squad with inadequates, has beens and never-will-be players, having a carousel of coaches each of whom is said to be better than the last but who have proved themselves to be on a par with the CEO and treating CAFC as nothing more than a player-farm while the first team slides down the league and into anonymity.

As we all know that Duchatelet 'doesn't do failure' I must assume that the previous paragraph is his measure of success.

Isn't that something that can only be determined with hindsight?

i mean, you can conclude that losing a certain battle led you to make the decisions that won the war but i don't think any war has been won by saying "lets give up on this battle, it'll make us stronger"
    To paraphrase: "Let's give up defending France, if we can get as many men as possible out via Dunkerque, it'll make us stronger".
  • Options
    I think SF and RD have an end game (nobody knows what it is except them) but PL/Championship/L1/L2 doesn't affect it. Despite all their problems, Bolton players were trying and got some results - since they've chnged manager and today Head Coach - clearly the new owner knows they're L1 but anyway..... Bristol sign Om.... you know the guy -Omegwwenbe? - Rotherham get Warnock, everybody's trying to do SOMETHING to avoid relegation. And we play Reze and don't even look further than 0-0 in any game home or away. Welcome to Greenwich Gints, home of the PL strs of the future. Your boat back to London leaves from Greenwich Pier at 6.15 - a full range of post match cocktails will be availble.
  • Options
    PS - can someone cut and paste me an 'a' - mine's gone AWOL!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mackle said:

LoOkOuT said:

Ego AND wealth, dangerous combination

Ego AND wealth AND incompetence outside of the sphere where wealth was earned, the titanic sinks.
  • Options

25May98 said:

'The' statement on the official website mentions 'some wanting the club to fail' in the same paragraph as 'we want Charlton to remain in the championship'.

My opinion of this is that the club view failure as relegation which is the point PL54 was trying to make (I think, you do say some daft things but I'm happy to defend you here).

Like he has done this season?
    Soz, probably quoted the wrong person, but I didn't get that either - wanting Charlton to remain in the Championship.... complete lack of ambition (wasn't that why Kerr left?)
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

It's not about making money. He has more than enough already and there are plenty of much better ways to make money than at Charlton Athletic.

It's about making a social and political point. It's a challenge. It's about his legacy beyond commodity electrical components.

Football appeals to the masses in a way that party Politics (his previous entry into which made no significant impact) doesn't. He thinks he can make a point about changing the business of football that will reflect well on his social and political ideas and, thus, his legacy.

Spot on.

RDs ownership constantly raises questions. I think it's basically more or less as simple as what you have explained.

Roland's version of his successful Charlton is being the team that has the lowest budget, spends the least amount per year but just about stays in the league or achieves midtable.....year after year after year.

It's showing that hard graft of cutting back and saving every penny in football is worth it and it's still achievable to be relatively successful or exceed the expectations of limited finances.

He believes that football carries so much unnecessary costs where everyone involved is an idiot and he has the solutions to the problems of football being a major non profit business for clubs in our division.

My question to you Roland ...who is going to be impressed? Is it worth it? It's just rather sad.

"Oh look this guy is limiting a football clubs costs but because the fans don't want to go anymore he's also managed to reduce the clubs revenue maybe all clubs should do the same and replicate this model....the genius" said no one, ever.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    LoOkOuT said:

It's not about making money. He has more than enough already and there are plenty of much better ways to make money than at Charlton Athletic.

It's about making a social and political point. It's a challenge. It's about his legacy beyond commodity electrical components.

Football appeals to the masses in a way that party Politics (his previous entry into which made no significant impact) doesn't. He thinks he can make a point about changing the business of football that will reflect well on his social and political ideas and, thus, his legacy.

I agree with your sentiment but it doesn't explain his "I don't care about winning" quote. If he was trying to make a point about how to run a football club differently, winning would be the proof he needed.
  • Options
    He can't afford to care about winning all the time that the others are spending to win. With FFP blown out of the water in the Championship he had no chance.

My understanding is that in League One there is a salary cap of 60% (75% for us newly relegated sides). Roly's model stands a better chance of being competitive in this framework. Except that a season ticket boycott will cut into that badly.

Around the turn of the century, it looked like Charlton could become a yo-yo club between the Premiership and Division 1 (Meaning Div 2 really). Now perhaps the best we can hope for under the regime is a team that yo-yos between the Championship and League One.

I don't want that, and I don't know any Charlton fan that does. We have to get this man out.
  • Options
    Stig said:

He can't afford to care about winning all the time that the others are spending to win. With FFP blown out of the water in the Championship he had no chance.

My understanding is that in League One there is a salary cap of 60% (75% for us newly relegated sides). Roly's model stands a better chance of being competitive in this framework. Except that a season ticket boycott will cut into that badly.

Around the turn of the century, it looked like Charlton could become a yo-yo club between the Premiership and Division 1 (Meaning Div 2 really). Now perhaps the best we can hope for under the regime is a team that yo-yos between the Championship and League One.

I don't want that, and I don't know any Charlton fan that does. We have to get this man out.

My bold.

So in essence, the season ticket boycott is required - otherwise the relegation potentially supports his business model.
  • Options
    Last year, we had a little survey based on a question that Big Rob raised. Given that we are again in a perilous position, I thought it would be worth replicating it:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3RXVSRM
  • Options
    Stig said:

Last year, we had a little survey based on a question that Big Rob raised. Given that we are again in a perilous position, I thought it would be worth replicating it:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3RXVSRM

Wasn't he banned? Wonder where he is now.
  • Options
    78 responses so far, 22 to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just done mine, Stig.

• Options
    Thanks to everyone who voted. Here are the responses from the first 100 people (sorry, but I'm on a freebie account so I can't see any after that):

Screenshot 2017-04-02 22.14.54

If I posted the results last year it wasn't on this thread, but I can tell you that then it was 90 to 10 in favour of the relegation with freedom option. On those figures it looks as though there's a slight change. Either some are softer on the regime, more fearful of a drop to the 4th tier or perhaps just there's a difference due to changes in sampling.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Thanks to everyone who voted. Here are the responses from the first 100 people (sorry, but I'm on a freebie account so I can't see any after that):

If I posted the results last year it wasn't on this thread, but I can tell you that then it was 90 to 10 in favour of the relegation with freedom option. On those figures it looks as though there's a slight change. Either some are softer on the regime, more fearful of a drop to the 4th tier or perhaps just there's a difference due to changes in sampling.

Personally, last year I voted that I would accept relegation if he left.

We'd been to League One before recently after all, and it actually provided us with a great team, a brilliant set of memories and a brilliant feeling around the place.. all after a takeover too!

When voting this time I had a good think and found it more difficult though: League Two seems so much further, and it honestly feels like the club would be dying if we were to find ourself on the very bottom rung of the league ladder..

Then I realised it feels like it's dying anyway.
  • Options
    whoa
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Bad new is he could stay AND we could go down. Worst of both worlds.
  • Options
    It's barely a statistically significant difference, @stig - I think on a sample of 100 you are looking at +/-3% though I would need to check my model.

I didn't vote this year but must admit to being terrified of relegtion to L2. It is a long, long way back from there.
  • Options
    I would like to see Duchetelet sell us and we stay up. I can't vote for either of the two options given.
  • Options
    Neither option represented my views.
    My concern is that if we drop to L2, reducing the selling value of the club even further, the Stupid Old Bugger will show himself to be a Spiteful Old Bugger & take us out of the league the following season before casting us adrift.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Stig said:

I reluctantly voted go down if he sells up. Because obviously I would rather stay up and he goes. I just want him gone. He and Meire have made the club toxic.
  • Options
    I have been saying it for months. The loony's running the club firmly believe they can achieve 2 x promotions thus making the promised land of the Premiership.

Get relegated to League Two and I think even they will see 3 x promotions is beyond them and sell up.