Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luzon: I never had final say on transfers

Comments

• Options
    And he didn't work this out when he was Roly's puppet at Standard Liege?
  • Options

"The Network Scout".....One person? I thought there was a network of scouts.
    Do we have a name for this all-powerful and much travelled individual with such great knowledge of the need of five clubs in five different leagues?

Some Belgian Geezer on Football manager trying out different permutations no doubt.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

How can it be that we have Sunday league men like Karel Fraeye scouting for an ex-premier league side. Barry the plumber could pull off some shit rabona and Fraeye would think he's good enough for England, such is his pedigree in the game.

Barry the plumber! He plays for Leek Town.
  • Options

How can it be that we have Sunday league men like Karel Fraeye scouting for an ex-premier league side. Barry the plumber could pull off some shit rabona and Fraeye would think he's good enough for England, such is his pedigree in the game.

Every team needs a water carrier...
  • Options
    Safe to say Luzon won't be in the running as next Újpest manager.
  • Options
    Okay you know what I am going to say but it is not an opinion or a 'probably' but it is true. Karel Fraeye was not responsible for either recruitment for the network or scouting for Charlton players in particular. As part of the network he may have been asked on occasions to familiarise himself with individual teams and was more involved with the Spanish club.
    The 'recruitment' was/is done by 2 guys abroad whose names have not been disclosed (for obvious reasons). All I know is that one has 'funny hair'........
    Anyway I am enjoying the discussion about management set ups!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

And he didn't work this out when he was Roly's puppet at Standard Liege?

Have to agree with this, my sympathy for Luzon, Fraeye and Riga is extremely limited. They knew who they were getting into bed with.
    Exactly. Won't stop them from turning up at one of Roly other experiments either.
  • Options

Every team needs a water carrier...
    Stop it now, you're starting to sound like a busted flush.
  • Options

Just a bitter ex-employee so we can stick our fingers in our ears say "la la la la la" loudly and pretend we didn't hear this.

Move on.

Nobody says this anymore, they haven't for ages, you don't have to do it on every thread.
    Sorry, didn't realise this was still a sore point for you : - )

I enjoy doing it so if it is OK with you, while I don't have to do it, I will.

And as you can see from the John Little thread a few people are still trying to ignore this huge elephant in the room
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These "network scouts" are unquestionably the same people who identified Hamer, Solly and Kermorgant as the people to replace on buying the club too. I don't doubt that Karel has played a significant role in it all, he has himself said Roland has used him as the recruiter at other clubs.
  • Options

Okay you know what I am going to say but it is not an opinion or a 'probably' but it is true. Karel Fraeye was not responsible for either recruitment for the network or scouting for Charlton players in particular. As part of the network he may have been asked on occasions to familiarise himself with individual teams and was more involved with the Spanish club.
    The 'recruitment' was/is done by 2 guys abroad whose names have not been disclosed (for obvious reasons). All I know is that one has 'funny hair'........

management set ups and Charlton - the irony (:
  • Options
    Come on newshopper get hold of Bob Peters now let's see what he has to say. Or will he never say anything against the president to keep his options open like the mugs Riga and Luzon.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Come on newshopper get hold of Bob Peters now let's see what he has to say. Or will he never say anything against the president to keep his options open like the mugs Riga and Luzon.

Bob Peeters is occupied with his current club, unlike Luzon ...
  • Options

Wouldn't expect Luzon to have final say on transfers, else we would have a team with Messi,Ronaldo,Lewandowski and half the Barcelona team.

It's arguable whether they'd want to come though.
  • Options

Sorry just too much to resist!

• Options
    edited March 2016

Fraeye was unquestionably reporting on the team back to Roland. I accept that he might not have been the one suggesting players, but he was definitely part of the set-up that identified three of our strongest players as those who needed to be replaced. And he was clearly totally unqualified to be doing so.

Does anyone know for sure if our Belgium laptop guys are still involved?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just a bitter ex-employee so we can stick our fingers in our ears say "la la la la la" loudly and pretend we didn't hear this.

Move on.

Nobody says this anymore, they haven't for ages, you don't have to do it on every thread.
    I think it's worth reminding those who were so vociferous about it so often, most of whom have never held their hands up and admitted that they were wrong...
    Like who? Ive asked this before.
  • Options
    In other news, the sky is blue and the grass is green.
  • Options

Why should any manager have the final say (given average managerial tenure is about one third of the average contract length of new signings)?

What?!?! Because the manager manages players he bought. He lives and dies by the players he brings to the club.

The manager not having control of signings undermines his authority
    The club's interests and the manager's interests are not aligned - the former is perpetual (in most cases) and the latter has an average career of just a few years.

Managers will always bang the table asking for signings with a near term impact rather than consider the longer term implications for the club.

The concept here is not flawed only the execution.
    I don't agree with you. I agree that Harry Redknapp is the living breathing example of what can go wrong with the English system. So the continental system has a Head Coach and a Director of Football, which prevents that abuse of power. But we don't have the latter. No one therefore explains to the Network Coach the particularities of our club and our league. This 'system' bestows ridiculous power and responsibility on one man. And probably, it was as @Weegie Addick suggests, Fraeye.

I strongly suspect that it is not how it works in Watford's network.

As someone else said, it's the execution, not the model, that is flawed. We don't have a chief scout on our books, nor do we have a Director of Football. I've long said that these are, for me, up there with the most criminally negligent acts of the regime.

For me, Luzon is an excellent example of why a manager should never be solely in charge of signings. He was a strict 4-4-2 manager. As such, we signed forwards (Watt, Mak) who needed to play up front with someone else. We also almost exclusively have wingers who provide creativity, like Bulot and JBG did last year, while we still have no creativity from someone who can play centrally.

A good director of football would take the current manager, and their system and preferences into account, but also consider the balance of the squad, the ability to change tactics, injuries, players' personal strengths and weakness (including, very importantly, the ability to settle), etc. This information should come from the scouting team. The Director of Football will also consider the budgetary and financial structuring and implications of signings, advantages of signing one player versus another, as well as potential sell-on value and those kinds of concerns.

There is no manager in the British game, probably few if any managers in the top leagues of world football who are capable of doing the above in addition to coaching a team. DoF should not just be a stand-alone job, it should be a person supported by various people.

Again, this is all how it should be executed.

For what it's worth, I doubt that Fraeye was the "Network Scout" in charge of signings. He had a job managing a club outside the network when we scooped him up, and he was pretty adamant that he had little to do with scouting players for Charlton (in spite of what was said about him). I suspect there's a chief scout attached to STVV who we've never even heard of who makes these decisions.
  • Options

"The Network Scout".....One person? I thought there was a network of scouts.
    Do we have a name for this all-powerful and much travelled individual with such great knowledge of the need of five clubs in five different leagues?

Baden Powell
  • Options
    This should have been a very short thread, because ONLY ONE PERSON MAKES FINAL DECISIONS at the moment, but you can bet that he will not be taking the blame when we hit the bottom of League Two. He is a complete disgrace.
  • Options
    Wasn't Kashi a Luzon signing?
  • Options
    Luzon’s ten-month spell at the Valley makes him the longest-serving manager under Duchatelet.
    These systems depend entirely on how good the scouting system is. For example, 5 years ago Graham Carr at Newcastle was lauded as a the genius responsible for bringing in all those great and excellent value French based players, now he's hated for lumbering Newcastle with a team of gutless French based players!