Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luzon: I never had final say on transfers

Comments

• Options
    Brentford are a club, which recruits players based on a sophisticated stats model (their owner was a whizz in the City)

It worked very well last season, combining this with Mark Warburton, but they then let Warburton go as he wouldn't rely solely on this model, and have struggled ever since. Dean Smith (a manger many of us would have liked at The Valley) seems mired in a struggle to stay up (7 points from the last 10 games)
  • Options
    as an aside while we're talking about Fraeye

Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 5h5 hours ago England, United Kingdom
    @DessieValley He was never interim. Had a permanent deal.

• Options

Funny how Luzon didn't go out of his way to apportion credit to the "network scout" after Diarra, Johnson, and Watt showed up in Jan/Feb 2015 and he took us from 20th to 12th last May!

And Pardew showed us how it works when the manager is in control of transfers. Thankfully he is repeating his standard pattern at Palace such that we might meet in the Championship in 18 months time?

I think the issue at Charlton is that we don't know who the faceless people are doing the scouting, so there is no accountability. And I don't think the budgets were high enough last summer. As @Garrymanilow and @newyorkaddick articulate the issue isn't the model but the execution.

When looking at the train wreck that this season has become I would put failure down to several factors:
    1) not compensating for the sale of Liege - they supplied four first team players in 2014/15 - Buyens, Bulot, Ben Haim and Watt - no transfer fees
    2) not completing the squad - we bought players in July 2015 but nothing after that - I suspect that was because we played so well in August
    3) not using the Autumn loan window to cover for injuries to Kashi etc.
    4) The appointment of the interim one.

Even after all that we had a chance when Riga arrived and he was given new defenders including Teixeira who played for him at Liege.

But I'm afraid that too many of our more valuable players have been injured or out of form. A director of football might have written up a list of players to improve the outcome and ensure that we were in better shape?

The simple fact is we are bottom six payers so a bottom six outcome is to be expected. What has caught the board out is that the Championship standard has improved. We cannot even compete with teams just up from League 1.

So Luzon having a moan about the guy who employed him for three years tells us very little about why we are where we are. And what happens next.

Curbishley also showed us how it works. As did Chris Powell. Three promotions in the Football League between them.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The interview is missing the key follow up question.

Were any players Luzon flat out said he didn't want/rate signed anyway against his will?

Without knowing that it's a bit difficult to assess how dastardly this system is.

A manager shouldn't, in my opinion, have to sign new players he simply doesn't want, but they do also need to be able to work with players they didn't sign - for example those already at the club when they took over.

In these days of high manager turnover (even allowing for the fact that is partially down to the club itself), and hyper inflated transfer fees and player wages, I'm not sure the manager should have the level of autonomy over transfers that the old British model allowed. They must have a strong voice, but very few managers are in the Curbs and Powell mould of taking care and responsibility for the club's long term health and clubs should protect themselves from Dowie and Pardewesque wide boys.

As with so many of the things this current regime is doing though, although the fundamental idea is not such a bad one, the execution is hamstrung by a lack of a coherent medium to long term strategy, too many silly short term mistakes, and a general lack of suitably qualified and experienced people in key roles (and in some cases no one at all in key roles, such as director of football).
  • Options

Permanent deal as what and with which company?
  • Options

rikofold said:

Let's not pretend Curbs did it all alone. He had a network of scouts and worked transfers with Murray and Varney. The big difference is that no player came into the squad without his agreement, and crucially he was always seen as a long term appointment who was building something.

I agree the execution has been appalling, but I think we've allowed that to hide the reality that there is no strategic plan and probably not even a vision that embraces footballing ambition as its number one priority. If there's any kind of model, it's as loose and ill-informed as it could be.

Let's be honest - when putting together that presentation, even Meire couldn't articulate the strategy - some half arsed soundbites around certain areas of focus and a nod to what we wanted to hear, nothing more.

"For lack of vision, the people perish" - could a proverb be more relevant?

So true because the "plan" has been about buying cheap and selling high. They forgot the playing and winning football games in-between and the human factors as mentioned by Tutt Tutt.

Unfortunately for Roland and disastrously for us, football players are, unlike electronic components, human and unpredictable.

I was told last week that the search for the new head scout will soon be over and that people would be impressed. No name but inference was that is was someone British. We shall see but we had a very good and experienced British chief scout who we let slip away and haven't bothered to replace since he left in October. I assume that he resigned before that so in effect we've waited all season to fill one of the most important posts at any football club.

Are you sure you were told "impressed", because the regime may mean as "impressed" (speechless at the complete farce...)?

But, it is good to see that they are actively seeking the next tranche of bitter ex-employees.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Let's not pretend Curbs did it all alone. He had a network of scouts and worked transfers with Murray and Varney. The big difference is that no player came into the squad without his agreement, and crucially he was always seen as a long term appointment who was building something.

I agree the execution has been appalling, but I think we've allowed that to hide the reality that there is no strategic plan and probably not even a vision that embraces footballing ambition as its number one priority. If there's any kind of model, it's as loose and ill-informed as it could be.

Let's be honest - when putting together that presentation, even Meire couldn't articulate the strategy - some half arsed soundbites around certain areas of focus and a nod to what we wanted to hear, nothing more.

The other aspect about having a manager who's the main player in signing players, is that they may be the reason why someone joins the club. I'm sure many players have joined us, rather than another club after talking to Curbs, and being impressed with his vision. And occasionally, rejected us!

With an anonymous network scout, who does the actual signing? Who is it that takes the player around the training ground and tries to impress them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Bring back Dana

Bit too skinny.
  • Options

Another porkie from the club, will they ever tell us a truth?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Bring back Dana

Bit too skinny.
    Mind you she's looking better for her age than she did in those election posters, south of the Border, down Sligo-Leitrim way...

Botox must be a real wonder drug (particularly if it leaves her unable to sing "All kinds of everything").
  • Options
    edited March 2016

We have the wealthiest owner we've ever had now and we never brought in cover, short term or otherwise, for Makienok when we had the chance.

The closest you could say we got was bringing in Vaz Te in November to cover Igor's eternal injuries, and his contribution was absolutely nil.

That would have meant an extra player on the payroll - and the budget didn't allow for that.

Vaz Te was signed to replace Tony Watt, who was lined up to be permanently transferred to Cardiff; the loan was only intended to facilitate the move outside of the transfer window.

• Options
    It's nothing new and nothing we don't already know bit boring.

He is obviously wound up but doesn't want to say the truth as he wants/needs another job as a head coach and RD is his most likely employer...as RD knows luzon is at least agreeable to the sad unique weird methods.

Luzon won't ever amount to anything serious in football management. Is it wasted talent? Possibly but probably not.

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Bring back Dana

Bit too skinny.
    Mind you she's looking better for her age than she did in those election posters, south of the Border, down Sligo-Leitrim way...

Botox must be a real wonder drug (particularly if it leaves her unable to sing "All kinds of everything").
    Blimey, a flashback of forty years! I do seem to recall she was quite pleasant.

I always preferred the Nolan sisters from that era though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2016

rikofold said:

So true because the "plan" has been about buying cheap and selling high. They forgot the playing and winning football games in-between and the human factors as mentioned by Tutt Tutt.

Unfortunately for Roland and disastrously for us, football players are, unlike electronic components, human and unpredictable.

I was told last week that the search for the new head scout will soon be over and that people would be impressed. No name but inference was that is was someone British. We shall see but we had a very good and experienced British chief scout who we let slip away and haven't bothered to replace since he left in October. I assume that he resigned before that so in effect we've waited all season to fill one of the most important posts at any football club.

No harm in buying cheap selling high if the players in question are good enough and not injury prone. There's a reason our signings have been cheap. See Moussa and Kashi.

As for the chief scout, I have a friend of a friend who is a scout at a top half Championship club. He said no one wants to work for Charlton at the moment and that the salary on offer for that position is about half of what it should be.
  • Options

rikofold said:

No harm in buying cheap selling high if the players in question are good enough and not injury prone. There's a reason our signings have been cheap. See Moussa and Kashi.

As for the chief scout, I have a friend of a friend who is a scout at a top half Championship club. He said no one wants to work for Charlton at the moment and that the salary on offer for that position is about half of what it should be.
    That's Championship wages though. Soon be the right wages for a league 1 scout who doesn't have to do much anyway.

All the scouting and decisions will still come from whoever replaced Fraeye in his role "co-ordinating" the scouting and analysis.
  • Options
    "All the scouting and decisions will still come from whoever replaced Fraeye in his role "co-ordinating" the scouting and analysis".
    Sorry Henry, I let a lot go but you keep on recycling your interpretation of what KF said to you or someone and spinning it ad finitum.
    He had a role in the regime but he did not scout players for Charlton or decide who should be bought. He has a little more input with the Spanish club as I understand
    In fact KD did not start working for RD until early March 2014, before that he was not working for him. He was asked by RD to visit all of his clubs which he did (to Ujpest, to Madrid/Alcorcon and so to the Charlton-Birmingham game) to get an idea of the network. I repeat that player recruitment was down to two guys in Belgium who relied heavily on laptop data…. So there is no change at all or perhaps never will be!
  • Options

"All the scouting and decisions will still come from whoever replaced Fraeye in his role "co-ordinating" the scouting and analysis".
    Sorry Henry, I let a lot go but you keep on recycling your interpretation of what KF said to you or someone and spinning it ad finitum.
    He had a role in the regime but he did not scout players for Charlton or decide who should be bought. He has a little more input with the Spanish club as I understand
    In fact KD did not start working for RD until early March 2014, before that he was not working for him. He was asked by RD to visit all of his clubs which he did (to Ujpest, to Madrid/Alcorcon and so to the Charlton-Birmingham game) to get an idea of the network. I repeat that player recruitment was down to two guys in Belgium who relied heavily on laptop data…. So there is no change at all or perhaps never will be!

But then doesn't your interpretation come from what Karel Fraeye apparently said to you?
    Yes the totally unbiased and no way trying to salvage his reputation Fraeye.

The "Bell is ringing for me" Fraeye

The in the stands and directors box talking to Charlton fans about his scouting role before Powell was sacked Fraeye.

The "I'm going back to coordinating his network" Fraeye

The "I scouted Bauer" Fraeye

The I don't need to scout Colchester I can just ask Harriot Fraeye

The there are two blokes in Belgium but I can't tell you their names Fraeye.

Yes, that Fraeye.
    Sorry to take sides here Pete, but I think you have lost this one.
  • Options

Sorry Pete, but I just checked my emails and somebody on this thread reported on 9 Febthat he had met Karel Fraeye at a game with another Belgian. Both had their laptops and were working. This Lifer received Fraeye's email address.

I will leave it up to the Lifer whether he wishes to chip in himself, so I won't identify him, but his mails at the time are very clear.

• Options

Sorry Pete, but I just checked my emails and somebody on this thread reported on 9 Febthat he had met Karel Fraeye at a game with another Belgian. Both had their laptops and were working. This Lifer received Fraeye's email address.

I will leave it up to the Lifer whether he wishes to chip in himself, so I won't identify him, but his mails at the time are very clear.

You tease! Dish the dirt.
  • Options

You tease! Dish the dirt.
    It wasn't me ;- )

But as Prague yet again shows the version of events that Fraeye spun when he was head coach was not the same as when he was previously working for the network. He tried to pretend he wasn't involved and then not heavily involved in the network scouting but all the evidence points the other way.

The unanswered question is who are these two people with lap tops in Belgium. What seems odd is that Fraeye must know but won't say. Why is that?