Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    kimbo said:

Anyone got any recommendations for shed company. Looking for a workshop really

What about building your own? Relatively cheap to do and you then get exactly what you want.
  • Options

I've got a really poor tomato crop this year. In greenhouse, fed regularly etc.

Outside courgettes and beans doing well (except beans getting covered in blackfly now)

You’re ahead of me, mine basically died, I have dug them up and disposed of the plants. I grew tomatoes from seed this year and gave some away to three other people - all of which are ok.

I’ve grown tomatoes for years and last years crop broke all records. This year’s seedlings looked strong and the young plants grew on well in the soil, but something then happened and I don’t know what. The plants stopped growing, leaves curled and went brown. I also note the root system was weak.

I don’t use weed killer, but the plants looked like they were affected by some chemical attack. I am unable to question my neighbour as to whether he was a bit careless with his spraying, as the press do not take kindly to octogenarians being slammed up against the garage door and threatened with a straight fingered jab to the eyes. Only kidding (I think).

Useful info here though, good luck next year!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=391
    Tomatoes blight I would think.
    Air borne pathogen apparently.
  • Options
    I've had tomato blight in past years. Completely wiped them out. Seem OK this year but not many of them. I keep meaning to try some of those blight resistant varieties.
  • Options
    Has anyone managed to over-winter dahlias successfully? I tried last year but the tubers (?) rotted. Bought more this year and they've been really lovely so would like to try and keep them for next year.
  • Options
    I find some dahlias make it over winter and some don't, for me it depends on where they're placed, we have a lot and a couple always don't make.
  • Options
    My father used to dig up the tubers a few weeks after the first frosts, let them dry out and store them in a shed. He used to replant them the following spring.
  • Options

My father used to dig up the tubers a few weeks after the first frosts, let them dry out and store them in a shed. He used to replant them the following spring.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Your father probably had green fingers though!
  • Options
    Buy The Lawn Expert by Dr D G Hessayon (ISBN: 0043967000485)
  • Options

Has anyone managed to over-winter dahlias successfully? I tried last year but the tubers (?) rotted. Bought more this year and they've been really lovely so would like to try and keep them for next year.

As happyvalley says. Dig them up.

I remember my father hanging them up in the shed (to keep them dry) and if I can remember correctly, he also gave them a dusting with flowers of sulphur.

Myself, plants either live or die where I plant them. I don't have many things die on me though but that's more down to luck and the fact that my garden is very sheltered with very high fencing on 3 sides and my house on the 4th.

My Canna lilies have gone mental this year, they are easily 7 foot high and still producing leaf. First time I've grown them in this garden, fresh dirt, plenty of water and lots of feed seems to do the trick. They may or may not over winter depending on the ground temperature, I know they can be a bit fussy. I cut them right down to ground level and give them a good mulching over the top.
  • Options

I remember my father hanging them up in the shed (to keep them dry) and if I can remember correctly, he also gave them a dusting with flowers of sulphur.

Myself, plants either live or die where I plant them. I don't have many things die on me though but that's more down to luck and the fact that my garden is very sheltered with very high fencing on 3 sides and my house on the 4th.

My Canna lilies have gone mental this year, they are easily 7 foot high and still producing leaf. First time I've grown them in this garden, fresh dirt, plenty of water and lots of feed seems to do the trick. They may or may not over winter depending on the ground temperature, I know they can be a bit fussy. I cut them right down to ground level and give them a good mulching over the top.
    I've never grown canna lilies but love them. Would like to give them a try but we live at the bottom of a field and it's a frost pocket. Could I did them up and store them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've never grown canna lilies but love them. Would like to give them a try but we live at the bottom of a field and it's a frost pocket. Could I did them up and store them?
    I don't see why not. Or you could grow them in a large pot and bring them in the winter.
  • Options
    We're hoping to dig up some heather from our woods and replant it on the banks along the drive. I'd have thought it would be okay as it is quite a hardy plant, but has anyone got any advice? Cheers
  • Options

We're hoping to dig up some heather from our woods and replant it on the banks along the drive. I'd have thought it would be okay as it is quite a hardy plant, but has anyone got any advice? Cheers

yes, have your Butler trained at the British Butler Institute.
  • Options

yes, have your Butler trained at the British Butler Institute.
    Butler?
  • Options
    Anyone with their own woods and drive surely would have a butler..

Heather is very fussy about the soil, i think it has to be acidic.
  • Options

lol, in the UK they would, but I bought this place here with 2 houses, a lake and a couple of hectares of woodland for the price of a family car in the UK. lol

Went out and had a look at the heather when I was with the dogs earlier and I think it's too spindley. We need summin that gonna hold the bank. We bought more lavender for along the bottom of the bank, so maybe its gotta be back to the juniper and and catoniastor type plants. Gonna cover the bank with that membraine stuff first.

Are you a gardener, Baldy?
  • Options

lol, in the UK they would, but I bought this place here with 2 houses, a lake and a couple of hectares of woodland for the price of a family car in the UK. lol

Went out and had a look at the heather when I was with the dogs earlier and I think it's too spindley. We need summin that gonna hold the bank. We bought more lavender for along the bottom of the bank, so maybe its gotta be back to the juniper and and catoniastor type plants. Gonna cover the bank with that membraine stuff first.

Bloody hell, you got your own bank as well?
  • Options

No but i spend a lot of time in the wilds of Scotland.
  • Options

I don't see why not. Or you could grow them in a large pot and bring them in the winter.
    I've over-wintered cannas in pots two years running. After the first frost (or before if you like) cut them down and take them out of the soil they were in. Then keep them in pots in loose soil in a shed or somewhere. Unlike some things they like to be kept a little damp throughout winter. But don't over do it! Divide and plant them up into the pots they will flower in in the spring. But new growth would need frost protection or taking back into the shed.

I've not been brave enough to leave them out over winter although they give the impression that they'd survive a mild year if mulched. I'd guess the snag would likely be a late frost hitting the tender leaves and if not killing them setting back the growth.
  • Options
    Rhs.org.uk
    Steep banks and slopes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No but i spend a lot of time in the wilds of Scotland.
    Love it up there, great shooting country
  • Options
    Simon Church would love it
  • Options
    In what folk are calling the great disaster of the gardening world, my heater chimney fell off, resulting in several new variety of plants, this year was pencilled in already for a new bigger all singing and dancing set up, think Kew, plans are being brought forward and the dusty cheque book has appeared.
  • Options
    Rotivate to improve the texture of your existing soil and don't bother with weed killer. Rotivate with all the weeds still there and cover the soil with thickish newspaper. The paper will stop the weeds from coming back and will also mulch in after a few weeks. The dead weeds will turn into fantastic soil and you'll save on the cost of weedkiller and cut out some of the digging work too. Google it, there are lots of articles including:-
    http://ravallirepublic.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/article_05e1c476-f386-11e4-81c5-b389245cb95d.html
    http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2013/05/how-to-smother-weeds-with-newspaper/

If you seed rather then turf, seeding will give you a better result as long as it's done well......lots of great advice above.

Turf will give you a quicker result and if you do use it, do some research and choose a quality supplier, the grass will be nicer and there'll be a lot less weed in the turf.
  • Options
    Talk to cblock he is your man
  • Options
    Ive just destroyed the rancid shed at the back of my garden, i was surprised to learn that the previous owner had put in a course of "shingle" before putting the thing down. I'm not looking for another shed, just want to grass it over but do i need to remove all the stones/pebbles first or can i just throw some mud and grass seed down and hope for the best?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Ive just destroyed the rancid shed at the back of my garden, i was surprised to learn that the previous owner had put in a course of "shingle" before putting the thing down. I'm not looking for another shed, just want to grass it over but do i need to remove all the stones/pebbles first or can i just throw some mud and grass seed down and hope for the best?

If it were me I would dig out all the crap and replace with fresh topsoil. Shouldn't take you long, it's just getting rid of the rubbish is a bit of a bind.
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

If it were me I would dig out all the crap and replace with fresh topsoil. Shouldn't take you long, it's just getting rid of the rubbish is a bit of a bind.
    Depends what the soil is like tbh as if you're on sticky clay then dig the shingle in as it will improve drainage. Any salt on the shingle will have already washed off by now. Whatever you do don't try anything whilst these frosts are around... there's a reason why gardener read seed catalogues in the winter!
  • Options

Maybe time to revisit this thread. I imagine those with gardens have been spending much more time in them lately. With the panic buying I would think 'grow your own' will be more popular than ever.

I've been starting seeds off in the greenhouse the last few weeks. Tomatoes, chillis, aubergines (only one germinated) etc. Anyone else growning veg this year?

Although being flat dwellers we have pots in the communal gardens. Last year we had a nice crop of strawberries and tomatoes so will do the same again.