Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Good call AT, lots going on here as usual, all the usual suspects in the greenhouse ,which will be emptied of the tropical stuff over the next few weeks, freeing up space up space for the peppers and chillies that love the heat. 
  • Options
    Planted some runner seeds yesterday 
    Started some potatoes in bags ..Will grow carrots in tubs 

Haven't had much luck with aubergines in the past ...I had trouble getting the flowers to germinate 

Have strawberries and chillies in a pot 

Mention it quietly but we could do with a bit of rain 
  • Options
    Delete an up. 😁
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Haven't had much luck with aubergines in the past ...I had trouble getting the flowers to germinate 

The first year I did aubergines was a very hot summer years ago. I got a good crop - and these were grown outside. Never managed the same since, even when trying in a greenhouse. I get carried away buying seeds from my winter reading of seed catalogues !

ive not tried carrots in tubs - do they do well? Again ive only ever had one really good crop of carrots. Last year I tried those fancy different colour ones which didn’t do well
  • Options
    I've got radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and red spring onions all to be planted. Problem is I don't have enough compost so have ordered some coir blocks online. I'll plant them all saturday and look to cover as best as I can with the materials I have 

Can I just plant normal potatoes in the ground or a tub as opposed to waiting on these seed potatoes? 
  • Options
    Peas, courgettes, cucumbers and tomatoes have all germinated and are growing under cover. Took on an allotment this year but can't get down there due to a touch of the old C19 for the last two weeks. 
  • Options
    It going to be a nice Sunday this week. Definitely a good gardening weekend with plenty of fresh air and maybe a cold beer Sunday afternoon.
  • Options
    I think so Carter. I managed to accidentally grow some potatoes in my compost bin a few years ago after chucking in a baking potato that had started sprouting before I'd had a chance to use it, so I think it should work.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Urgh if only I could enjoy my Garden - Just had some decking installed, everyone we spoke to prior to the work being down had said that Planning Permission wasnt required

One set of neighbours are now complaining that their privacy has been compromised and are basically demanding that we confirm with the council if we need permission or not

Basically makes us feel as though we cant enjoy our garden now what with them able to see us regardless from their own kitchen even before work was done (which makes the whole "privacy" argument a joke)

None of this has been done out of spite from us, we feel as though we've adhered to planning regs

We even spoke to the neighbours saying we'd have the work done (conversations they've denied ever happened as there is no paper trail)

We just feel if we dont confirm with the council that they'll try and take legal action which we cant afford
  • Options
    For those looking to buy plants or seeds, this might be helpful:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    @ForeverAddickted Presumably it's the raised platform of the decking that now means you can see more into their garden? We had some installed last year but with some slatted fence panels too so although can see more in gardens there's still some privacy.
    Pretty sure they've not got a leg to stand on, it's only really the height/size of fencing/buildings that require planning. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Talal said:
    @ForeverAddickted Presumably it's the raised platform of the decking that now means you can see more into their garden? We had some installed last year but with some slatted fence panels too so although can see more in gardens there's still some privacy.
    Pretty sure they've not got a leg to stand on, it's only really the height/size of fencing/buildings that require planning. 
    Can see into their Garden prior to the decking, the issue is their kitchen sticks out so we can see in

We've offered to add a trellis which we'll do anyway for the privacy (ironically creates more privacy than what there was before the decking went in) but they're not interested in it being the resolution

Its laughable as been out on the grass now and they can see us from their kitchen regardless of where we're standing

I've taken a look on the planning portal and it appears to say that decking higher than 30cm (which ours is) requires planning so its potentially a fuck up from us

We've paid for pre-planning advice from Medway Council and have just privately discussed with my wife about plans to lower it should any planning applications fail (as just know the neighbours will be objecting based on the privacy) - Its just frustrating as they obviously want us to clarify with the council (they've not said that but its pretty obvious) but also want a quick and amicable decision, well its not going to be quick because of the issues with coronavirus, its certainly not amicable partly because we've offered to communicate face to face with them (whilst keeping a safe distance) yet again is something they're refusing to do
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    lolwray said:

The first year I did aubergines was a very hot summer years ago. I got a good crop - and these were grown outside. Never managed the same since, even when trying in a greenhouse. I get carried away buying seeds from my winter reading of seed catalogues !

ive not tried carrots in tubs - do they do well? Again ive only ever had one really good crop of carrots. Last year I tried those fancy different colour ones which didn’t do well
    Yes funnily enough I tried those last year ..they were coming nicely until the wildlife pecked the top shoots off but previously had success...think keeping them watered in decent ish soil is the trick ...Will put nets over them this year ...

They say that you can't grow carrots in the same soil 2 years running..Dt know if that's true 

Good luck with it all!
  • Options
    I had no idea about the 30cm law, pretty sure ours is higher than that too but the installer never mentioned it, will go measure. Just have to hope our neighbours don't kick up a fuss too.
    Sounds like a right pain in the arse after the expense of getting it done. I'd just go out there and enjoy it now you have it, sounds like they'll be complaining whether you're out there or not. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I had no idea about the 30cm law, pretty sure ours is higher than that too but the installer never mentioned it, will go measure. Just have to hope our neighbours don't kick up a fuss too.
    Sounds like a right pain in the arse after the expense of getting it done. I'd just go out there and enjoy it now you have it, sounds like they'll be complaining whether you're out there or not. 
    Imagine that if yours has been up for a while then your neighbours are fine with it

Reckon we've just been unlucky with who we have living next to us

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/11/decking
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I would guess that the neighbours think that with decking you'll spend more time in that area and therefore have more opportunity to see through their window.

You should be ask at the council offices /town hall whether planning permission is required ( get it in writing if possible).
  • Options
    Sounds like it. Just measured, the majority of it is under 30cm but because of the way our ground lies a higher part near the end is just over. As you say if they haven't complained now then hopefully they won't.
    Hope it works out for you, it's one more stress you don't need at this time. 
  • Options
    A garden centre was open this morning for the first time in weeks : I bought tomato plants, pepper plants, cucumber and beetroot. Going to plant them in the greenhouse this arvo.
  • Options
    I’ve just planted tomatoes and chard in our seed thingies yesterday. Will start some peas off in the new bigger seed thingy that arrived today.

had 200 litres of compost delivered yesterday so going to dig over the tired garden and replant. Ordered a decent number of perennials from Claire Austin plants that should arrive early next week with any luck. 

Also plan to finally j stall the irrigation system I’ve had in the shed for four years 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    I would guess that the neighbours think that with decking you'll spend more time in that area and therefore have more opportunity to see through their window.

You should be ask at the council offices /town hall whether planning permission is required ( get it in writing if possible).
    Yeah its what we've basically gone and done, put in the request for pre-planning advice yesterday as they'll also confirm if planning permission is likely to be accepted or not

Just a shame that its costing us a further £180 which'll really anger me if the council confirm that permission isnt required

Talal said:
    Sounds like it. Just measured, the majority of it is under 30cm but because of the way our ground lies a higher part near the end is just over. As you say if they haven't complained now then hopefully they won't.
    Hope it works out for you, it's one more stress you don't need at this time. 
    Sounds a lot like my garden, in the majority of places its a lot less than 30cm between ground and decking

Unfortunately the garden then slopes away due to us living on a hill

As I joked with the council yesterday (who were extremely helpful), the way to get around this would be to keep the deck 30cm from the ground all the way but then we'd have a slide not decking
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Imagine that if yours has been up for a while then your neighbours are fine with it

Get ya budgie smugglers on on Sunday and parade on the decking,  that'll give them something to moan about. 
    Dont see why the neighbours wife would be complaining when she gets a sight o... Yeaaa maybe not
  • Options
    Talal said:

Get ya budgie smugglers on on Sunday and parade on the decking,  that'll give them something to moan about. 
    Dont see why the neighbours wife would be complaining when she gets a sight o... Yeaaa maybe not
    @ForeverAddickted , tell your neighbours to get some net curtains. 

:smile:

• Options
    @ForeverAddickted might be wrong here but your neighbours sound like dickheads 
  • Options
    Fortunate enough to have an allotment off the back of the garden so we're planting all the standard veggies.  Have strawberries and (eventually) tomatoes in hanging baskets.  Potatoes go in a stack of old tyres.  Hoping I didn't over prune the grape vine as it's not showing much sign of life yet.  Our main battle is with our chickens as they are too impatient to wait for anything to grow and want to eat anything green.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:

@ForeverAddickted , tell your neighbours to get some net curtains. 

:smile:

Or maybe a magnifying glass ?

Just saying......

:-)

• Options
    It's good to get back to watching Gardeners World at last. I recon Adam Frost will be the next in line after Monty. His garden is still in it's early stages of development so ideal. I do wish he'd stop using the word 'space' so often though.
  • Options

had 200 litres of compost delivered yesterday 
    From where? Compost is the new toilet roll (not literally, obvs).
  • Options
    Ordered it a week ago from Amazon.