Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    I went out for a walk yesterday and managed to get a couple of small bags at a local DIY shop.
  • Options
    I went out for a walk yesterday and managed to get a couple of small bags at a local DIY shop.
    Arrest him!
  • Options
    Just nipped to B&Q to pick up a click and collect that I ordered yesterday

Been told its a 45min wait as all emails that went out told everyone not to collect until after 1pm the next day
  • Options
    @Uboat whereabouts are you? Perhaps you could sell on the excess to someone local to you on here.
  • Options
    Helped my good lady do some gardening today, apparently one doesn’t use a reciprocating saw to dead head various plants and bushes! 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    @Uboat whereabouts are you? Perhaps you could sell on the excess to someone local to you on here.
    North London. Unfortunately it's not arriving until 24th April, so a friend is giving me some of hers and I'll pay her back then. 
  • Options

Seems to be plenty of slug activity in the greenhouse. Sweet Pea seeds in loo rolls were doing nicely then a few nibbled to the ground overnight.

Outside I've started on the nematode treatment. It seemed to help last year along with wool pellets.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Seems to be plenty of slug activity in the greenhouse. Sweet Pea seeds in loo rolls were doing nicely then a few nibbled to the ground overnight.

Outside I've started on the nematode treatment. It seemed to help last year along with wool pellets.

You give your sweet pea sees loo rolls. 
    You spoil them😁
  • Options
    I have a monstrous pampas grass that has been virtually untouched for years, so this is the year it goes, only trouble is we have a fair few hedge hogs that have been with us over the years, so it's a case of careful does it in case they have over wintered in it.
  • Options
    Here's a collage of daffs that I grew in containers this year.  Pretty much got all the bulbs from Wilkinson's didn't cost a fortune. 

Mind you the best investment I made was making up a layered pot of tulips, daffs and snowdrops with my three year old grandaughter.  It was great fun doing - apart from planting - there was the trowelling in of mud and getting dirty.  I can't tell you the excitement that little girl has had watching her labour come to fruition.  She has phoned me to check how many snowdrops I've got (always one less than her) and to tell me as the daffs came up and finally when the tulips bloom. 

they are stunning mate. Daffs are so cheap yet you get some great colour at a gloomy time of year. Stacking them with other bulbs is such a clever way of getting the most out of one pot. Great way of getting your grand daughter involved. Saw a piece on Gardeners World about daffs and was bowled over by the variety available. But I always replace them every year as the second year always seems so disappointing
  • Options
    Here's a collage of daffs that I grew in containers this year.  Pretty much got all the bulbs from Wilkinson's didn't cost a fortune. .......
    Daffs are so cheap yet you get some great colour at a gloomy time of year. Stacking them with other bulbs is such a clever way of getting the most out of one pot. Great way of getting your grand daughter involved. Saw a piece on Gardeners World about daffs and was bowled over by the variety available. But I always replace them every year as the second year always seems so disappointing
    Unless you've got a really small garden and tight for space, you can plant this season's old daff bulbs around a fruit tree on the lawn, beside shrubs or in a corner where they can naturalise and multiply ..... and you'll always have daffs every spring.

But you need somewhere where they won't be disturbed by digging. If you put them in grass, you do need to let the leaves die down naturally - if you cut them before the bulbs replenish themselves, you won't have many flowers the next year.

That might also explain why your 2nd year is disappointing. They do need to replenish the bulbs before lifting. 
    Anyway, daffs planted in the right place can be the gift that keeps on giving .... every spring.

• Options
    *note to dog owners*
    bulbs, particularly daffodil bulbs are highly toxic to dogs. 😭
  • Options
    I have a monstrous pampas grass that has been virtually untouched for years, so this is the year it goes, only trouble is we have a fair few hedge hogs that have been with us over the years, so it's a case of careful does it in case they have over wintered in it.
    Swinging days over then ? 

On a serious note a mattock is the best tool for the job
  • Options
    Have planted 50 perennials in our postage stamp garden today. Hopefully some will survive 😨😱
  • Options
    Have planted 50 perennials in our postage stamp garden today. Hopefully some will survive 😨😱
    Remember, it's quite a long dry spell at the moment.

Newly planted plants mustn't dry out at the roots and will need water.
    And no, don't just spray the leaves pretending to be Fireman Sam. That won't do.

No need to use a hose at all ........ better to fill a watering can, take the rose off the spout, and give the base of each plant a good soaking.
    And if you do it properly, you'll only need to do it every few days, until the new leaf growth comes.

Yes, I know you've got 50 plants. But you can practise all the lyrics of "The Red, Red Robin", and thoroughly annoy the neighbours. :smile:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    All planted. Beetroot, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and peppers. Origan and chives still from last year.

Tips for planting tomotoes:

1. Cut off lower growth and plant these under the soil. They will then become roots.
    Try to have it so that the lowest growth still above ground does not actually touch the ground at least in a way that they don't get wet when watering.

2. Below the roots and a lower of soil put some stingy nettles which are a good fertilizer.

3. Mix up 3 part soil from garden, compost, and algue.

4. Put in a cane at planting stage.

5. Play it by ear. Talk to them. Their reply is your gut feeling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All planted. Beetroot, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and peppers. Origan and chives still from last year.

1. Cut off lower growth and plant these under the soil. They will then become roots.
    Try to have it so that the lowest growth still above ground does not actually touch the ground at least in a way that they don't get wet when watering.

2. Below the roots and a lower of soil put some stingy nettles which are a good fertilizer.

6. Make sure to keep the door closed so your rabbits can't get in !!
  • Options
    addix said:
    Fortunate enough to have an allotment off the back of the garden so we're planting all the standard veggies.  Have strawberries and (eventually) tomatoes in hanging baskets.  Potatoes go in a stack of old tyres.  Hoping I didn't over prune the grape vine as it's not showing much sign of life yet.  Our main battle is with our chickens as they are too impatient to wait for anything to grow and want to eat anything green.
    Over pruning a grape vine is from my experience almost impossible. I've been trying to kill one off for about three or four years. If you're taking care of it, it should grow again.
  • Options

Ha! I like to let them in if I'm around and see what they do. I might let Chester nibble on the origan but chase him out when he dares go to the lettuce. It's interesting to watch their behaviour because when he gets near the lettuce I swear he takes a look at me. They generally stay near the door and nibble at the weeds when I'm there. The biggest problem with them is they like the eat the rose bushes. The good thing is they like to poo around the apple trees.

I'd like to know if anyone on here has tried their own poo and / or piss on their plants. 
  • Options

Ha! I like to let them in if I'm around and see what they do. I might let Chester nibble on the origan but chase him out when he dares go to the lettuce. It's interesting to watch their behaviour because when he gets near the lettuce I swear he takes a look at me. They generally stay near the door and nibble at the weeds when I'm there. The biggest problem with them is they like the eat the rose bushes. The good thing is they like to poo around the apple trees.

I'd like to know if anyone on here has tried their own poo and / or piss on their plants. 
    Well, I try to pee on the hanging baskets at least once a week but doing a poo there is problematic …...
  • Options

I have a 5 litre screen wash bottle that I urinate into until it is full and then pour round the boundaries of the garden to keep cats and fixes away. Apparently lion piss is good but any Male urine does the trick 

As for faecal matter, I wouldn't recommend it. Humans don't consume anywhere near enough of the good stuff for that to be anything other than a protest. 

I saw someone debunking Matt Damon's home grown fertiliser method from the Martian and that convinced me I dodnt need to be shitting on the vegetable plants 
  • Options
    Interesting Carter. I might try that idea on the cats here. Maybe I should even try it with water pistol,😁.

Regarding poo, maybe a vegetarian's poo is ok (?)
  • Options
    Just a thought for those living in Bexley who have recently had new bins delivered and have been left with three large plastic boxes kicking around.  

I reckon with a few drainage holes drilled in the bottom they could be repurposed for growing things in.  Particularly useful for potatoes because of their depth and carrots where the extra height will help ward off the dreaded carrot fly (who tend to keep to a low altitude).

I know at this present time it is difficult to obtain the compost and seeds etc. ... maybe next year?   

The boxes (mine at least) are marked with a number 5 which is considered a safe plastic to use.

• Options

I’m not much into growing from seed. I found this in the back of one cupboards. 
    Job done, 5 minutes. 
  • Options
    Just a thought for those living in Bexley who have recently had new bins delivered and have been left with three large plastic boxes kicking around.  

I reckon with a few drainage holes drilled in the bottom they could be repurposed for growing things in.  Particularly useful for potatoes because of their depth and carrots where the extra height will help ward off the dreaded carrot fly (who tend to keep to a low altitude).

I know at this present time it is difficult to obtain the compost and seeds etc. ... maybe next year?   

The boxes (mine at least) are marked with a number 5 which is considered a safe plastic to use.

Brilliant idea. 

Where are you getting the seed potatoes/tomato plants?
  • Options
    Popped out to the greenhouse and a slug has chewed away at my cucumber seedlings. How can a slug get into a propagator???!!