Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pronunciation rant

Comments

• Options

MrLargo said:

Jesus I'd hate to be the one to ask you whether it should be pronounced tomato or tomateo, scone or sgone ;)

The traditional debate is whether it's pronounced "tomayto" or "tomarto". I dread to think what kind of low-life, gutter-dwelling subhuman scum would call it a "tomateo". Truly sickening.
    Look 'ere!!... Its not easy to try to spell something the way you'd pronounce it.

Tomayto / Tomateo... Whats the difference when you try to say them!! ;)
    I think the problem is "Tomateo" looks like you're saying Tomat-e-o (indeed, that's what I read it as), hence MrLargo's comment.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Jesus I'd hate to be the one to ask you whether it should be pronounced tomato or tomateo, scone or sgone ;)

The traditional debate is whether it's pronounced "tomayto" or "tomarto". I dread to think what kind of low-life, gutter-dwelling subhuman scum would call it a "tomateo". Truly sickening.
    Look 'ere!!... Its not easy to try to spell something the way you'd pronounce it.

Tomayto / Tomateo... Whats the difference when you try to say them!! ;)
    I think the problem is "Tomateo" looks like you're saying Tomat-e-o (indeed, that's what I read it as), hence MrLargo's comment.
    Nah I was saying it... Too-mate-o
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Sorry to break this to you Micky, but the guy who founded Nike says it's pronounced Nikey, as in, to rhyme with Micky.

Trouble is he only seemed to correct everybody about 25 years later. Old boys like me got used to the old pronunciation! A bit like Kim Bassinger later becoming Kim "Bay-singer".
    Really old boys back in ancient Greece pronounced it rhyming with Mikey. Nike (Νίκη) is the Greek goddess of victory so I think they probably new how to say it.
  • Options

I've never heard anyone say Jessica Rennis

Sue Barker does it all the time as does Barry Davies.
    It's actually the same case as the ones I mentioned above, right? An imaginary letter 'r' added to the end of a word which subsequently affects the pronunciation of the next word? Am I right?

It's because we run the words into each other, essentially saying "idearof" instead of two separate words, "idea of", which is how someone who had elocution lessons, or was brunged up proper, would say it.
  • Options
    The other day I only realised I've been saying nuclear wrong (been saying it as newk-cu-lar) my entire life. Literally my world has turned upside down and I don't know what's real anymore
  • Options
    People who use the word "Generally" when they mean "Genuinely" can join the bonfire with Palace and Millwall.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

My wife drives me nuts with her 'sumfink' and 'nuffink'. She's not even 'common' and speaks quite well generally.

My girlfriend is the same no matter how many times I've tried pointing it out, so now when she does it I just act confused until she says it correctly. I must really piss her off.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

The other day I only realised I've been saying nuclear wrong (been saying it as newk-cu-lar) my entire life. Literally my world has turned upside down and I don't know what's real anymore

https://youtu.be/OoASZyihalc
  • Options
    Tomarto / Tomayto / Tomateo

What about people who pronounce it Tomeighto ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Da eye-tail-eeyens pranance it tomb-eh-tow
  • Options
    Haitch instead of aitch.
  • Options

Haitch instead of aitch.

I'm with you Laurie. It really grates with me.
    I've told my grandchildren it's Aitch, but they won't have it. Their teacher pronounces it Haitch so they say it must be right.
  • Options
    A friend I've lost touch with used to really get on my wick by saying "brought it" when he meant "bought it" and the bugger was always buying and selling stuff!
  • Options
    Yanks who omit the final letter 'i' when saying Aluminium. Drives me nuts.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Sorry to break this to you Micky, but the guy who founded Nike says it's pronounced Nikey, as in, to rhyme with Micky.

Trouble is he only seemed to correct everybody about 25 years later. Old boys like me got used to the old pronunciation! A bit like Kim Bassinger later becoming Kim "Bay-singer".
    Really old boys back in ancient Greece pronounced it rhyming with Mikey. Nike (Νίκη) is the Greek goddess of victory so I think they probably new how to say it.
    Having looked at this in more detail, at the time Nike was named, the 'η' (now eta, then heta) was used to indicate rough breathing, meaning it probably would be more like Nikhgh than Nik-e, but certainly not just one syllable like Mike.
  • Options
    It's not ongion, it's onion
    It's no arks, it's ask
    It's not Millwall, it's Millwank
  • Options
    Eurgh I hate it when people say tomato and not pomodoro.
  • Options

Haitch instead of aitch.

I'm with you Laurie. It really grates with me.
    I've told my grandchildren it's Aitch, but they won't have it. Their teacher pronounces it Haitch so they say it must be right.
    Get down with the kids Haitchyaddick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southern Hemisphere English.....

South African especially Boer Saffa accents are a real problem for me. Every word they say grates across my consciousness.

I can just about cope with New Zealand and Australia (preference for the Kiwi).
  • Options
    How is Palarse pronounced?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Solidgone said:

How is Palarse pronounced?

However Brian Cole wants.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Having looked at this in more detail, at the time Nike was named, the 'η' (now eta, then heta) was used to indicate rough breathing, meaning it probably would be more like Nikhgh than Nik-e, but certainly not just one syllable like Mike.
    Likey.
  • Options
    I heard a rumour schools now teach "haitch" which is annoying if true. The letter I think is spelt 'aitch' in the dictionary. There's no reason whatsoever to call it haitch, is there!?
  • Options

Yanks who omit the final letter 'i' when saying Aluminium. Drives me nuts.

Me too, but I think they even spell it without the I.
  • Options
    My pet hate is hearing people pronouncing us as uz