Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pronunciation rant

Comments

• Options
    When did because start being pronounced becuzz. Hate it.
  • Options
    I used to annoy someone I worked with by saying the following:

'I see me Mum yesterday'. 'I SAW MY Mum' he would shout and although I know it is wrong it just sounds right.
  • Options
    I don't know why this of all things gets me so good but I've not been able to stop thinking 'tomateo' all day now
  • Options
    Not sure if its just a Canadian thing, our friends down south mght be able to confirm but up here they say

Erbs (ie Curbs without the C) instead of Herbs

It pisses me right off.
  • Options

I've never heard anyone say Jessica Rennis

Sue Barker does it all the time as does Barry Davies.
    It's actually the same case as the ones I mentioned above, right? An imaginary letter 'r' added to the end of a word which subsequently affects the pronunciation of the next word? Am I right?

It's because we run the words into each other, essentially saying "idearof" instead of two separate words, "idea of", which is how someone who had elocution lessons, or was brunged up proper, would say it.
    Er... I think you missed my point. I know how to 'run words into each other', but I always think that usually it's only when the word ends with a consonant and the following word begins with a vowel that you can link the two words to pronounce? For example, 'tear apart' can be pronounced /'tɛərə'pɑ:t/, because the word 'tear' ends with the rhotic R. It's the same with 'for example', 'stare at', 'for us', etc. But! The word 'idea' ends with 'ea'. It's a non-rhotic word so if you pronounce it like /ai'diərəv/ it means you have specifically changed the syllable structure of the word 'idea' and added the rhotic R to the end of it....

Not sure if I'm being clear enough here. But the OP SillyBilly must know what I'm talking about. :wink:
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Not sure if its just a Canadian thing, our friends down south mght be able to confirm but up here they say

It pisses me right off.

I guess it's the same as some English people dropping/deleting 'h' from the beginning of a word? Like pronouncing 'here' just /iə/.
  • Options

Yanks who omit the final letter 'i' when saying Aluminium. Drives me nuts.

Related to but, in my opinion, worse than this was that fecking car hire advert a couple of years ago with the annoying american and british salesmen jumping on every yank/brit stereotype bandwagon possible before the payoff line:
    Yank: "Aluminum"
    Brit: "Aluminium - it's got a 'u' in it."

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
    A 'U'? A fecking 'U'????? You're all idiots.

I'm still wondering whether this unbelievably stupid mistake was actually deliberate to try to make people like me remember the brand.
    (It worked - it was Enterprise Car Hire - but then again, I've never used them, so maybe it didn't work.)
    :confused:
  • Options
    Oakster said:

It pisses me right off.

Same down here. Drives me nuts.

Now that "oot and aboot" problem Canadians have is an odd one.
  • Options
    Whist raising the kids I was guilty of encouraging them to use their crowns to do their colouring in. It was my eldest son’s girlfriend who delicately pointed out that our family should try using the correct word i.e. crayons.

My three kids all went to university and have professional jobs and my son’s girlfriend is now my daughter-in-law - so not too much harm done. The one true victim in all this is me. I have learnt to say colouring pencils, but the word crayon really sticks in my craw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aks instead of ask?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Aks instead of ask?

Yup. That one gets me too
  • Options

Oakster said:

It pisses me right off.

I guess it's the same as some English people dropping/deleting 'h' from the beginning of a word? Like pronouncing 'here' just /iə/.
    It comes from the latin roots of our language. The Romans didn't pronounce the 'h', nor should we. Well done all you aitch-droppers, you are keeping to the true spirit of our language.
  • Options
    Got mentioned earlier but the way Americans replace the U in words with an O

Was watching Man City v PSG game on Kodi last night and it was a Fox Sports stream, god did their version of Ed Chamberlain sound annoying!!... We've got moolti games coming up (God it sounded like someone dragging their finger down a board)
  • Options

It's actually the same case as the ones I mentioned above, right? An imaginary letter 'r' added to the end of a word which subsequently affects the pronunciation of the next word? Am I right?

It's because we run the words into each other, essentially saying "idearof" instead of two separate words, "idea of", which is how someone who had elocution lessons, or was brunged up proper, would say it.
    Er... I think you missed my point. I know how to 'run words into each other', but I always think that usually it's only when the word ends with a consonant and the following word begins with a vowel that you can link the two words to pronounce? For example, 'tear apart' can be pronounced /'tɛərə'pɑ:t/, because the word 'tear' ends with the rhotic R. It's the same with 'for example', 'stare at', 'for us', etc. But! The word 'idea' ends with 'ea'. It's a non-rhotic word so if you pronounce it like /ai'diərəv/ it means you have specifically changed the syllable structure of the word 'idea' and added the rhotic R to the end of it....

Not sure if I'm being clear enough here. But the OP SillyBilly must know what I'm talking about. :wink:
    Absolutely Jessie. Bang on the money. Do you mind if I just ask - are you really Chinese? Your English and knowledge of the language is better than anyone else on here (ere) :-)
    LOL... Thanks. :wink:
  • Options

Got mentioned earlier but the way Americans replace the U in words with an O

Was watching Man City v PSG game on Kodi last night and it was a Fox Sports stream, god did their version of Ed Chamberlain sound annoying!!... We've got moolti games coming up (God it sounded like someone dragging their finger down a board)

THANK YOU. It's so irritating.

I first noticed it watching the film, Wreck It Ralph:

"I got that medal from the game Hero's Duty!"
    "Hero's doody? What a stoopid name!"

The joke doesn't work cos they don't rhyme, I thought. Duty and doody is a tenuous connection to us Then, like when you spot an ant, then another ant, and realise you are in a nest of ants, I came to notice the OO everywhere. It's so, so lazy.

It's also part of the problem with aluminium. Look at how many Us are in that word. It's no wonder they fuck it up.
  • Options
    I hate it when people say 'They give me that'.......drives me nuts.
  • Options

Absolutely Jessie. Bang on the money. Do you mind if I just ask - are you really Chinese? Your English and knowledge of the language is better than anyone else on here (ere) :-)
    it's coz she learnt it proper-like, we woz just brought up wiv it

• Options

Has any of this ever caused any genuine confusion?

Yes and a lot of hate crime
  • Options
    Recently I was listening to Radio 2 and Sara Cox was talking about kids "curding" - I was fascinated by this because I had no idea what it was - what was this latest craze? Then it dawned on me - coding, it was coding she was talking about! And me an old computer programmer!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    By the way, I still would.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Katrien just told me the sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.
  • Options

Haitch instead of aitch.

I'm with you Laurie. It really grates with me.
    I've told my grandchildren it's Aitch, but they won't have it. Their teacher pronounces it Haitch so they say it must be right.
    I asked my daughter about this, she teaches primary school children to read using phonics. The letter is definitely called Aitch and the sound is 'huh' as in a breath. The children hold their hand up and breathe (huh) into their palms to help remember. They have different sounds and actions as an aide memoire to all the letters.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Haitch instead of aitch.

I'm with you Laurie. It really grates with me.
    I've told my grandchildren it's Aitch, but they won't have it. Their teacher pronounces it Haitch so they say it must be right.
    I asked my daughter about this, she teaches primary school children to read using phonics. The letter is definitely called Aitch and the sound is 'huh' as in a breath. The children hold their hand up and breathe (huh) into their palms to help remember. They have different sounds and actions as an aide memoire to all the letters.
    Jeez, they are teaching kids to sound like Roland now?

Just out of interest, are there any linguists out there who can tell us whether, for example, the French or Germans have issues with riff-raff pronunciation?
    (For some reason I'm assuming that the Japanese don't.)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I haven't seen that before - a classic. In a way I sympathise with him. I got ribbed continuously by my mates when I returned from Newcastle after working up there for two years and was speaking in a dreadful, mangled London/Geordie combo. It was like I'd invented my own dialect.
    This is quite good fun if you haven't seen it before.rinkworks.com/dialect/

This is what I typed above in "Swedish Chef":

I hefen't seee thet beffure-a - a clesseec. In a vey I sympetheese-a veet heem. I gut reebbed cunteenoouoosly by my metes vhee I retoorned frum Noocestle-a effter vurkeeng up zeere-a fur tvu yeers und ves speekeeng in a dreedffool, mungled Lundun/Geurdeee-a cumbu. It ves leeke-a I'd infented my oovn deeelect. Um de hur de hur de hur
  • Options
    Re McLaren - the "what you call...underdogs" bit is amazing. At that point he's completely turned the language situation on its head. He actually thinks the presenter is English and he is Dutch.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

My mother-in-law tried to pick up my daughter on the fact that there is a t in Charlton yesterday. YES, BUT IT IS SILENT.

I think most of us are guilty of 'gunna' if from around these parts. 'I'm just gunna pop down the shops' etc...

My missus who is not common (and if she had married someone else could almost claim to be middle class) always says 'je' instead of 'do you'. 'Je want a blowjob darling?' Well, not if you are going to speak in that South Bermondsey accent I reply. I have standards.

I know.
  • Options
    Lieutenant is pronounced Leftenant. It's not difficult America.

And Jagger, it's 'Off my cloud' not 'Off of my cloud'.