Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pronunciation rant

Comments

• Options
    St Pancreas and Westminister.
    Grrr!
  • Options
    Margit
  • Options
    Would of instead of would have.
  • Options
    Glad I started this. All the classics are coming out now.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Lieutenant is pronounced Leftenant. It's not difficult America.

And Jagger, it's 'Off my cloud' not 'Off of my cloud'.

I've always said..Loou-tenant rather than left-tenant
  • Options
    Caribbean as in CariBBEan & not CaRIBbean
  • Options
    Dynasty rather than die-nasty
  • Options
    Sam lloyd said:

You haven't been watching Come Dine With Me have you?
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Sorry to break this to you Micky, but the guy who founded Nike says it's pronounced Nikey, as in, to rhyme with Micky.

Trouble is he only seemed to correct everybody about 25 years later. Old boys like me got used to the old pronunciation! A bit like Kim Bassinger later becoming Kim "Bay-singer".
    Really old boys back in ancient Greece pronounced it rhyming with Mikey. Nike (Νίκη) is the Greek goddess of victory so I think they probably new how to say it.
    Having looked at this in more detail, at the time Nike was named, the 'η' (now eta, then heta) was used to indicate rough breathing, meaning it probably would be more like Nikhgh than Nik-e, but certainly not just one syllable like Mike.
    Will you be my friend? My four credits short of a Classics minor is used far too infrequently.

For what it's worth I'm in the process of moving to Eugene, OR where Nike was founded. We pronounce it "Nike-ee," but I try to be pretty laissez-faire about pronunciation given that I pronounce things strangely.

That said, "Knockaert" and "Belgiums" have been driving me MENTAL thank you so much for saying what is in my heart @Sillybilly.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Yanks who omit the final letter 'i' when saying Aluminium. Drives me nuts.

Me too, but I think they even spell it without the I.
    We do, but I'd hate to let facts get in the way of a perfectly pedantic argument (genuinely, see above, I love me some pedantry).

Also, @Stig there are a lot of English idioms that would be understood here, but people will not understand you when you pronounce Yoghurt that way. It just does not resonate.

Lastly, FA, that qualifies you to be president of my country and have control over the largest nuclear armament in the world.

To quote Homer Simpson, "It's nucular dummy, the 's' is silent."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Addickted said:

Okay so I've found myself answering all the Americanisms. WHERE'S THE "F"?!?!?! Do you same "in 'left' of" or "in 'loo' of" for lieu? It's a word with what I guess are French roots, and in French I believe it would be "oo" not "ef."

@Oakster, that's a North American thing. It's ironic because it seems to be the only "h" some of my English friends pronounce.

https://youtu.be/cs5H7cgcpkg
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Not sure if its just a Canadian thing, our friends down south mght be able to confirm but up here they say

Erbs (ie Curbs without the C) instead of Herbs

It pisses me right off.

Think our yank cousins do that too. Bay-sil instead of Basil too.

People who pronounce Trousers as Pants as well.

Compared to the Yanks what the Canadians have done to our wonderful language is pretty mild, but still plenty of stuff that annoys.
  • Options
    Sam lloyd said:

As I understand it, Ker-rib-Ian is actually the correct way, but most English say Carrib-Ian.
  • Options
    Bay-ta instead of bee-ta
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SDAddick said:

Addickted said:

Okay so I've found myself answering all the Americanisms. WHERE'S THE "F"?!?!?! Do you same "in 'left' of" or "in 'loo' of" for lieu? It's a word with what I guess are French roots, and in French I believe it would be "oo" not "ef."
    It's because it is.

You all manage to pronounce the 'F' in Elephant.

And you don't want to listen to what the French say - it's all made up 'Le' weekend my arse.

• Options

Oakster said:

Not sure if its just a Canadian thing, our friends down south mght be able to confirm but up here they say

It pisses me right off.

Compared to the Yanks what the Canadians have done to our wonderful language is pretty mild, but still plenty of stuff that annoys.
    Although, according to Bill Bryson, American English is more how English used to be spoken on these shores. (Remember many colonists were from areas like Suffolk, Essex [a genuine Essex accent is very similar to the Suffolk one], Devon and Cornwall.) It's just that we're continually moving on and they are not. For example, the Essex dialect is now almost dead south of Colchester and replaced by Estuary and Cockney.

To give you a flavour, listen to these accents from Tangier Island Virginia. It's only a couple of minutes. https://youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E
  • Options
    One thing I never realised aboot Canada was the whole Newfoundland accent thing! Incredible....

Very well illustrated in this somewhat bizarre video about a shark.... The interviews with the locals gives us that full on Newfie sound

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjW3rSZ6Ovs
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SDAddick said:

Addickted said:

@Oakster, that's a North American thing. It's ironic because it seems to be the only "h" some of my English friends pronounce.

https://youtu.be/cs5H7cgcpkg
    Anyone who starts a sentence with 'Okay so' sic, has no right to comment on anything.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Oakster said:

It pisses me right off.

Although, according to Bill Bryson, American English is more how English used to be spoken on these shores. (Remember many colonists were from areas like Suffolk, Essex [a genuine Essex accent is very similar to the Suffolk one], Devon and Cornwall.) It's just that we're continually moving on and they are not. For example, the Essex dialect is now almost dead south of Colchester and replaced by Estuary and Cockney.

To give you a flavour, listen to these accents from Tangier Island Virginia. It's only a couple of minutes. https://youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E
    Bryson's version is correct, I believe. But when have we let inconvenient facts get in the way of a hugely entertaining CL rant?
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

cafcfan said:

Oakster said:

It pisses me right off.

Bryson's version is correct, I believe. But when have we let inconvenient facts get in the way of a hugely entertaining CL rant?
    Too true. Frankly seeing Izzard while trying to eat my Marmite on toast, has meant I've lost all perspective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

I think the Yanks have that one right to be fair. Who spells Leftenant as Lieutenant ensuring there is no F?

Nope, it's got to be Loo-tenant then.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Sam lloyd said:

Do you mean Caribb-ian or carry-bee-un?
  • Options
    Sam lloyd said:

Dynasty rather than die-nasty

once again think you mean

Din-nisty
    or
    Die-nasty
  • Options
    posting without reading

have we got onto botswain and other nautical terms yet ?
  • Options
    some think something is pronounced somethink
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

I think the Yanks have that one right to be fair. Who spells Leftenant as Lieutenant ensuring there is no F?

Because thems the rules. As I said earlier, there's no F in Elephant.

It's pronounced Leftenant amongst our armed forces.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

Because thems the rules. As I said earlier, there's no F in Elephant.

It's pronounced Leftenant amongst our armed forces.

No but there's a "Ph" which is pronounced as an "f" like in phonetic or Philadelphia or pedoPHile or phuck off ;)
  • Options
    Magdalene being pronounced maudlin. Cholmondeley as chumley.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

some think something is pronounced somethink

Steady on. If you are going down that route there is no 'th'.

Somefink.
  • Options

Magdalene being pronounced maudlin. Cholmondeley as chumley.

These both wind me up every day!