Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evans Conviction overturned (ed. signs for Chesterfield)

Comments

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

Genuinely pleased with this as I always thought he had been wrongly convicted anyway.

Would love to know what all the people on here who claimed he was guilty just because a court of law said so (regardless of evidence to the contrary) think now. Do they stick by their guns and admit that a jury's decision is not always the correct one? Or change their opinion becaude a different 12 jurors returned a different verdict?

The contradiction in that sentence is phenomenal.
  • Options
    From the report of the trial, which seems to have been held in a 1986 vortex.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/14/footballer-ched-evans-cleared-of-in-retrial?CMP=share_btn_tw

- During the appeal case that led to the retrial, lawyers for the crown suggested the two new witnesses may have been “fed” information by those close to Evans. This claim was rejected by Evans’s side.
    - Evans’s fiancee, Massey, was accused in legal argument during the second trial of offering an “inducement” to a key witness. The prosecution said this had “the flavour of a bribe”. The trial judge disagreed with this description.
    -The appeal court judges, whose decision can be reported for the first time, expressed “a considerable degree of hesitation” before allowing in the new evidence of the former partners because it resulted in the complainant’s sexual behaviour being subject to forensic scrutiny – which is almost always banned.
    - The complainant continues to be named and abused on social media though the law gives her lifelong anonymity. The police are investigating one blog that identified her during the trial.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options

He's an innocent man.

A court hasn't been able to prove his guilt - doesn't make him innocent
    Actually that is the perfect description of why he is innocent.
    No it isn't - not guilty does not mean innocent.

Dear oh dear. Using that logic. Finding him guilty the 1st time doesn't make him guilty of the crime either!!
    To quote supreme court judge Baroness Hale in 2011 (speaking about proposed plans to change the rights to claim for miscarriages of justice):

‘Innocence as such is not a concept known to our criminal justice system.

'We distinguish between the guilty and the not guilty.

‘A person is only guilty if the state can prove his guilt beyond reasonable doubt… if it can be conclusively shown that the state was not entitled to punish a person, it seems to me that he should be entitled to compensation for having been punished.

‘He does not have to prove his innocence at his trial and it seems wrong in principle that he should be required to prove his innocence now.’
  • Options
    let's hope that's the end of a VERY sad and sorry, sordid business
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see what happens in relation to the girl who he was accused of raping. Could she now face perjury charges?

At this this stage nothing can be proved in this case. But talking in general a woman who falsely accuses a man of rape should face the same time in prison for someone who is convicted of rape. Obviously this would have to be proved at a seperate trial but if proved they need the same sentence as a rapist because they are trying to ruin a person.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

Genuinely pleased with this as I always thought he had been wrongly convicted anyway.

Would love to know what all the people on here who claimed he was guilty just because a court of law said so (regardless of evidence to the contrary) think now. Do they stick by their guns and admit that a jury's decision is not always the correct one? Or change their opinion becaude a different 12 jurors returned a different verdict?

Where's the contradiction?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016

It would be interesting to see what happens in relation to the girl who he was accused of raping. Could she now face perjury charges?

At this this stage nothing can be proved in this case. But talking in general a woman who falsely accuses a man of rape should face the same time in prison for someone who is convicted of rape. Obviously this would have to be proved at a seperate trial but if proved they need the same sentence as a rapist because they are trying to ruin a person.

She woke up in a strange room with no memory of the night - hard to see how she perjured herself and once the police pieced together the actions especially of Evans, it was hardly surprising the CPS pursued the case.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

Where's the contradiction?
    You imply that being being found guilty by a court of law doesn't mean you are guilty, when it is reality it is the dictionary definition of guilt.

Once an individual has been found guilty, they can appeal, however until their conviction is overturned they are guilty.

If not you could go around saying nobody was guilty, and the justice system would be completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    You've missed the point.

When he first went down there were a lot of different opinions on here. Those saying he was innocent were giving reasons - her story didn't add up, she had sex with his mate right before, she was able to walk heels etc etc. those saying he was guilty had very little argument beyond 'he was found guilty in a court of law'. I'm not even saying one is right and one is wrong, I'm just genuinely interested in what the latter will say now, given what's just happened.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

You've missed the point.

When he first went down there were a lot of different opinions on here. Those saying he was innocent were giving reasons - her story didn't add up, she had sex with his mate right before, she was able to walk heels etc etc. those saying he was guilty had very little argument beyond 'he was found guilty in a court of law'. I'm not even saying one is right and one is wrong, I'm just genuinely interested in what the latter will say now, given what's just happened.

As you can see, they will say that he is still guilty, but now just not guilty in a court of law.

Let's just hope none of them every get accused of something they didn't do.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I heard on Twitter that they're already building a pyre.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

JaShea99 said:

You've missed the point.

As you can see, they will say that he is still guilty, but now just not guilty in a court of law.

Ooop. You've jumped to that conclusion.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

JaShea99 said:

You've missed the point.

Just read some of the comments above.
  • Options
    My £5 on Evans to be L1 top goalscorer is looking better. I'm not shallow :wink:
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

You've missed the point.

I take your point. Many of those who claimed that "he was guilt because he was found guilty" did so in complete ignorance of the facts that were presented against them. But that isn't an unreasonable thing to do following a guilty verdict from a court of law. The general populous needs to have that faith in the justice system, otherwise it completely undermines the process.

But, in the same way, those people who did that now have to put their hands up and say, I was wrong, the first trial was wrong, he is not guilty and justice has been done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

JaShea99 said:

You've missed the point.

Fair point, thought it was a little dig ;)
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

JaShea99 said:

You've missed the point.

Fair point, thought it was a little dig ;)
    Not at you! :)
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

You've missed the point.

To reiterate, it's perfectly reasonable to have accepted both the 1st & 2nd verdicts based on events - we don't always have the desire or time to read case notes, and in any case the jury are entitled to consider other signals not reflected in print (body language, the tone in which evidence is given, etc.) in making up their minds. So there's no inconsistency here. Yes juries can make mistakes or be prejudiced in some way, but in our system they can only make a judgment as best they can based on the facts.

As a bystander you're entitled to disagree with any verdict, I don't believe that i or anyone else here characterised your disagreement at the time as 'child-like'
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise if Sheffield United signed him in January.
  • Options

Wouldn't surprise if Sheffield United signed him in January.

I would... He's back playing under Danny Wilson (who was his Manager @ Sheffield United)
  • Options
    It was all a misunderstanding in the end I guess?

As for him leaving via the fire exit, maybe his friend told him to use the back door and poor old Ched got confused?
  • Options
    A horrible, sordid affair.

And the original incident didn't sound much better either
  • Options
    Just wait until I get my hands on the innocent person that broke into my car last night