Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Charlton CB pairings

Comments

• Options
    In all my fifty six years of watching Charlton I think the best partnership was Went and Reeves.
  • Options
    Webster and Gatting was an excellent pairing
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Webster and Gatting 91/92
    Thompson and Pender 85/86
    Berry and Shaw 80/81
    Shirtliff and Thompson/Miller/Pates 86 - 89
  • Options
    Morrison and Taylor or even better Morrison and Leon Cort!
  • Options
    Gordon Jago and Marvin Hinton (if they played together)
  • Options

Alan Kernaghan was quality during 90/91 season....can't recall who he was paired with....Balmer?

Webster
  • Options
    Flanagan and Hales as a forward duo when they weren't fighting !
  • Options

Morrison and Taylor or even better Morrison and Leon Cort!

These guys really were genuine class in league one and with Derive joining the next year we certainly had depth and quality at CB. Shame it all went to pot after that.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Colin Pates was a great Centre half. Who can forget Bobby Goldthorpe!!

Certainly not me!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2016
    kentred2 said:

Went and Reeves

For people of a certain age (i.e. my age) those two were the best.
  • Options

Rufus and A N Other

This was my first thought too

If I have to pick a partner for him it's either Youds for the million clean sheets they had in a row in the championship or Costa in the prem
  • Options
    Defo Colin Pates and Joe McLoughlin for me. Had a few ex Chelsea then. John Bumstead in midfield too!
  • Options

Webster and Gatting was an excellent pairing

Certainly was. Gatting reminded me a bit of Colin Pates.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    iaitch said:

Kap10 said:

Rizzo said:

Not a pairing but Fish Costa Fortune was always a favourite of mine

Still got the hat "Young, Fish, Costa, Fortune"

Colin Pates was a great Centre half. Who can forget Bobby Goldthorpe!!
    Pates and Joe McLoughlin were a decent pairing.
    For Chelsea definitely but not so hot for Charlton (we were relegated in McLoughlin's only season for us)..

Pates and Shirtliff for me.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Sarr's on a 5 year deal according to Wikipedia - mental if that's true. Think his agent and the club will be keen to get him away though - cost £1.5m (pffft!), can't be on small wages.

I think Lennon will be first choice next season, which is fine with me. I hope not to see Johnson in a Charlton shirt ever again - I'd rather they picked someone out of the crowd to partner Lennon, although that would only give us a choice of Katrien, Richard Murray, PL54 and Colin. Maybe there's someone else in the youth team.

Difficult one, Colin is good in the air but pl54 has more pace and better on the ball
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    old timers ...
    Haydock and Tocknell
    Reeves and Went (already mentioned in dispatches by a few old uns like moi)
  • Options
    Rufus and either Costa or Youds for me.
  • Options
    Lender and Thompson
    Webster and Gatting
    Rufus and Balmer
    Rufus and Youds
    Morrison and Taylor
    Morrison and Cort
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    O
    seth plum said:

A good shout may be for a home grown pairing.

Steve Brown and Richard Rufus.

This. 12 wins in a row ?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    JohnnyH2 said:

Lender and Thompson
    Webster and Gatting
    Rufus and Balmer
    Rufus and Youds
    Morrison and Taylor
    Morrison and Cort

Don't remember him, did we have him on loan? :smile:
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Alan Kernaghan was quality during 90/91 season....can't recall who he was paired with....Balmer?

Webster
    Webbo was one quality centre half. I might be way off but seem to remember him pairing up with Tommy Caton?
  • Options
    red_murph said:

shirty5 said:

Webster
    Webbo was one quality centre half. I might be way off but seem to remember him pairing up with Tommy Caton?
    Start of the 90/91 season
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Some good shouts for centre half pairings, I was looking at the league tables today, and boy have we shipped in some goals this season! Let alone the amount of goals we have scored ( or not scored).

If we are going to have any modicum of success in league 1 next season we need a rock solid defence that hates conceding goals ( look at the amount of goals Burton Albion have conceded this season, it's frightening!).

We also need creativity in midfield, and an attack that can score goals, & close out winning positions in matches, I'm not filled with confidence I'm afraid, given the track record of this administration & shambles of this season, it's going to be a tough gig.

Oh and by the way I can't make up my mind between Morrison and Taylor and Balmer and Rufus, but I can't remember if they both played at the same time, I think so?
  • Options
    Haven't seen Farmer Giles mentioned yet :smiley:
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

red_murph said:

shirty5 said:

Webster
    Start of the 90/91 season
    Thanks JH2, my memory is shocking. Was just looking up Caton on Wiki to see if the dates worked. So so sad that he passed away at 30.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

For a limited time only I thought Bikey and Ben Haim looked like absolute class. Then it all went to shit!

You mean Bikey went to shit.
  • Options
    Rufus and Primus is the partnership that got away!

A great name for an R&B duo too
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Sarr and rhys Williams