Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Charlton CB pairings

124»

Comments

• Options
    Diawara was a solid CB, he was just here at the wrong time in a poor side.
  • Options

The late Alan McDonald when on loan from QPR. Didn't matter who his partner was, he was class on his own !

Ditto for Peter Shirtliff, seemed to get the best out of those around him.

iaitch said:

Didn't Pates go to Arsenal mid season and McLoughlin just disappeared (bit like our players today) and ended up at Watford.

Think we signed Pates for £430k and sold him for £500k. McLaughlin was a disaster £650k (?) and sold to Watford for £350k - we did well to get that. Remember him scoring an OG at Selhurst - may have been against Villa.
    At the time I think Joe M was our record signing. Happy to be corrected on this.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

The late Alan McDonald when on loan from QPR. Didn't matter who his partner was, he was class on his own !

Ditto for Peter Shirtliff, seemed to get the best out of those around him.

iaitch said:

Didn't Pates go to Arsenal mid season and McLoughlin just disappeared (bit like our players today) and ended up at Watford.

Think we signed Pates for £430k and sold him for £500k. McLaughlin was a disaster £650k (?) and sold to Watford for £350k - we did well to get that. Remember him scoring an OG at Selhurst - may have been against Villa.
    At the time I think Joe M was our record signing. Happy to be corrected on this.
    Indeed he was.
  • Options
    Is it just me who doesn't remember Morrison being very good? Reasonably capable at Championship level but really slow and very limited as a player. Obviously a completely mad decision to sell a competent CB at the time we did without bringing in a decent replacement, but I think the (obviously legitimate) hatred of RD & KM has made some customers remember him as better than he really was...
  • Options
    To answer the question of the OP, it'd be Rufus with either Youds or Fish - those were the days...
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Is it just me who doesn't remember Morrison being very good? Reasonably capable at Championship level but really slow and very limited as a player. Obviously a completely mad decision to sell a competent CB at the time we did without bringing in a decent replacement, but I think the (obviously legitimate) hatred of RD & KM has made some customers remember him as better than he really was...

In the nicest possible way I think it is just you.

He was sometimes exposed on the occasions he played wide right as a replacement for Solly or when we went to three at the back when chasing a game but in his proper position of centre back he was pretty solid and good for the odd goal too.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Diawara was a solid CB, he was just here at the wrong time in a poor side.

He was excellent on the deck but not very good in the air.