Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Charlton CB pairings

Comments

• Options
    Jorge Costa and Mark Fish or Costa and John Fortune.
  • Options
    Rufus and the bloke we gave away to Leicester would have been a good pairing - then again Rufus and A N Other was always a good pairing - with Andy Todd as sweeper in a 5 man defence with Powell left back & Luke Young right back.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    iaitch said:

Kap10 said:

Rizzo said:

Not a pairing but Fish Costa Fortune was always a favourite of mine

Still got the hat "Young, Fish, Costa, Fortune"

Colin Pates was a great Centre half. Who can forget Bobby Goldthorpe!!
    Pates and Joe McLoughlin were a decent pairing.
    JM was one of the biggest donkeys ever to play at the back. Pates total class, poached by Gooners who never played him. Doubt he could down a gallon of beer in two hours. Counted against him.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Kap10 said:

Rizzo said:

JM was one of the biggest donkeys ever to play at the back. Pates total class, poached by Gooners who never played him. Doubt he could down a gallon of beer in two hours. Counted against him.
    George Graham collected decent CBs, unlike Wenger who er doesn't :smile:
  • Options
    Both been mentioned but not as a pair: Webster and Balmer.
  • Options
    Chris Perry one of best centre backs
  • Options
    Remember Perry against Crouch, Perry won everything that night even in the air.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Haven't seen Farmer Giles mentioned yet :smiley:

One of my favourites mainly because he was such a character. I remember my Dad's disbelief when he made his debut (I think it was away to Cambridge or Aldershot) that someone quite so ungainly could be a pro footballer.

Jimmy definitely wasn't the worst and was a wholehearted footballer. Something that the modern day journeyman that we see so frequently "turn out" for us nowadays. And I hadn't realised 'til very recently that he was a fast bowler at cricket and turned out for Worcs 2nd X1.

Just goes to show that you can't tell a sportsman by first impressions. Unless your name happens to be Lepoint, Nego, Parzyszek, Petrucci, Thuram, Vaz Te, Johnson or Onyewu that is.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Sarr's on a 5 year deal according to Wikipedia - mental if that's true. Think his agent and the club will be keen to get him away though - cost £1.5m (pffft!), can't be on small wages.

I think Lennon will be first choice next season, which is fine with me. I hope not to see Johnson in a Charlton shirt ever again - I'd rather they picked someone out of the crowd to partner Lennon, although that would only give us a choice of Katrien, Richard Murray, PL54 and Colin. Maybe there's someone else in the youth team.

Lennon and Thomas. Thomas has looked confident and solid captaining U21s this season. Reckon he could do a job in League One.

Tex and Bauer with Lennon and Thomas for me next year if they all stay, Staunton too. The young lads are miles better than Johnson and Sarr. I know we need experience heads but partnering the youngsters with Bauer or Tex would be great experience.
  • Options
    Markg2004 said:

MrLargo said:

Sarr's on a 5 year deal according to Wikipedia - mental if that's true. Think his agent and the club will be keen to get him away though - cost £1.5m (pffft!), can't be on small wages.

I think Lennon will be first choice next season, which is fine with me. I hope not to see Johnson in a Charlton shirt ever again - I'd rather they picked someone out of the crowd to partner Lennon, although that would only give us a choice of Katrien, Richard Murray, PL54 and Colin. Maybe there's someone else in the youth team.

Lennon and Thomas. Thomas has looked confident and solid captaining U21s this season. Reckon he could do a job in League One.

Tex and Bauer with Lennon and Thomas for me next year if they all stay, Staunton too. The young lads are miles better than Johnson and Sarr. I know we need experience heads but partnering the youngsters with Bauer or Tex would be great experience.

Baeur and Texeira will not be here next Season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:

Chris Perry despite being a tiny bloke was excellent when it came to battling in the air because he had his really good leap to him... Chris Solly reminds me of him in a sense
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Markg2004 said:

MrLargo said:

Baeur and Texeira will not be here next Season.
    True, my post was ideal scenario for me. Those young lads are pretty decent. Just need guidance and not thrown in without backup like Fox.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Kap10 said:

Rizzo said:

Cost about £1,000,000 between them which was serious money for us then (would be now, too, of course, seeing as we're going down to the third division) but we ended up getting relegated that season.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Defo Colin Pates and Joe McLoughlin for me. Had a few ex Chelsea then. John Bumstead in midfield too!

Not at the same time...

Edit: the Bumstead part i mean. However if you can choose CB's that were not of the same time then Andy Todd and Paul Miller would take a bit of beating...
  • Options
    Didn't Pates go to Arsenal mid season and McLoughlin just disappeared (bit like our players today) and ended up at Watford.
  • Options

The late Alan McDonald when on loan from QPR. Didn't matter who his partner was, he was class on his own !

Ditto for Peter Shirtliff, seemed to get the best out of those around him.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Didn't Pates go to Arsenal mid season and McLoughlin just disappeared (bit like our players today) and ended up at Watford.

Think we signed Pates for £430k and sold him for £500k. McLaughlin was a disaster £650k (?) and sold to Watford for £350k - we did well to get that. Remember him scoring an OG at Selhurst - may have been against Villa.
  • Options

The late Alan McDonald when on loan from QPR. Didn't matter who his partner was, he was class on his own !

Ditto for Peter Shirtliff, seemed to get the best out of those around him.
    What a fantastic centre half. And a proper leader as well. Would have loved to have seen him partner Rufus. That would have been a formidable partnership.
  • Options
    Bobby Goldthorpe's ability to try to dribble the ball out of the penalty area and lose it was uncanny. Thankfully his partner (Shipperley?) was decent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:

Perry always amazed me to be honest. Tiny in CB terms, but on his day, nobody won anything in the air against him.
  • Options
    Looking at the thread title I thought this was going to be about Charlton fans who met over CB radio.
  • Options
    The thing I never got about Young Fish Costa Fortune, is what the hell was Jon Fortune doing playing left back? How did we get away with that??
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Looking at the thread title I thought this was going to be about Charlton fans who met over CB radio.

Judging by the photo you posted here; http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2484468/#Comment_2484468 I'm guessing it's where you met your missus :smile:
  • Options

The thing I never got about Young Fish Costa Fortune, is what the hell was Jon Fortune doing playing left back? How did we get away with that??

we didn't.........coz that formation never took the field.

it was Young, Fish, Costa, Fortune, Powell as a 5 man defence.
  • Options

Bobby Goldthorpe's ability to try to dribble the ball out of the penalty area and lose it was uncanny. Thankfully his partner (Shipperley?) was decent.

Always ranked Bobby in the "so bad he was good" category. Reckon he would have been playing alongside David Young - and he was good enough to play in a CAFC team promoted from the third tier.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Hinton and Jago in the early 60's, Went and Reeves in the 70's Shirtliff and Thompson in the 80's, Webbo and Sweaty the 90's Rufus and Costa in the noughties.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Perry always amazed me to be honest. Tiny in CB terms, but on his day, nobody won anything in the air against him.
    Chris Perry was excellent. Couldn't believe it when Dowie got rid of him just for being 30+ years old - such a moron.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

iaitch said:

Chris Perry was excellent. Couldn't believe it when Dowie got rid of him just for being 30+ years old - such a moron.
    And replaced him with £3.75m signing who wore gloves in August.

To be fair, the player in question has had a fairly good career since leaving us.
  • Options
    Marvin Hinton and Brian Tocknall. Went & Reeves were top notch to. Would have liked to have seen Colin Pates with Rufus - dream pairing.