Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++++ Official manager rumours thread! ++++ (ed. Slade confirmed)

Comments

• Options

Madz said:

colin1961 said:

JohnnyH2 said:

So we now enter June and still no one appointed, Great work KM the saving on wages must delight your boss

Lot of clubs trying to fill positions .... which makes it harder to get managers to commit .....like players they won't commit themselves till end of June
    This is not a "Colin" dig so I apologise if it comes across as this because I do listen to a lot of things you say, but that has to be crap. What time of the year a manager is appointed is completely irrelevant, contracts or not. Players yes. Managers no. Managers are sacked and hired all year round. I agree with you that lost of clubs trying to fill positions at the moment which is probably holding things up ( or simply because nobody wants to work for the regime). But because they want to wait until the end of June? Really!!!?
    Exactly. Identify your man and go get him.
    And if you don't succeed you then go after the next best choice - pretty simple really.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Given Steve Evans is available I'm not longer as opposed to Slade. Don't really understand why him, and what he brings to the coaching side that we couldn't get elsewhere. I know I think more highly of Riga than some, but I'm not convinced Slade, or Wilder, would be drastic improvements on Riga.

I think you have a point but the real issue for me is having a coach / manager that's knows league one and what's needed to play effective winning football in that division. I liked Riga too but I think league one is a very different division to what any of our previous RD coaches are used to.

• Options
    DA9 said:

Evans on talksport this morning saying his agent received a few calls last night from clubs of various levels

I'm just staggered that any football club owners are so desperate that they actually know who his agent is, let alone what his 'phone number might be!

(Meire [on the 'phone first day back in the office after her latest holiday]: "Thanks for my new Samsung S7 Edge Mr Duchâtelet, now I just need to get Steve Evans' agent on speed dial and we are all set to go.")
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Given Steve Evans is available I'm not longer as opposed to Slade. Don't really understand why him, and what he brings to the coaching side that we couldn't get elsewhere. I know I think more highly of Riga than some, but I'm not convinced Slade, or Wilder, would be drastic improvements on Riga.

I think you have a point but the real issue for me is having a coach / manager that's knows league one and what's needed to play effective winning football in that division. I liked Riga too but I think league one is a very different division to what any of our previous RD coaches are used to.

I don't necessarily disagree. I think that the Champo is now of a technical and tactical standard that having experience there is not as important as it used to be, because it's become more continental. That's certainly not the case with League one, where it's still based a lot around pace and power and physicality. For as puritanical as I like to be about coaches and tactics, I do have to remind myself that it's a horses for courses scenario.

That said, there isn't anyone we've gone after who has had unparalleled success in the lower leagues, with the exception of Adkins. If we're going to pick a manager with experience, I feel like it should at least be one with experience of success.
  • Options

DA9 said:

Evans on talksport this morning saying his agent received a few calls last night from clubs of various levels

Steve Evans. The 'go to' man of Micky mouse football club owners.
    Please don't say that, it means he's nailed on cert to come to us.

Also, Steve Evans is the type of man who would say his agent got loads of calls whether it was true or not.
  • Options
    I don't think the SMT will be using laundry baskets anymore if Steve Evans puts his dirty smalls in there. Yikes!
  • Options
    It is becoming pretty clear that the reason the regime got its managers/players from Belgium/network is that it knew how to recruit those managers relatively quickly and it just didn't have the competence/knowledge on how to obtain them from elsewhere. I'm afraid a one hour conversation with Lennie Lawrence will not be a sufficient remedy. I wonder if RD is daft enough to employ lawyers to do the work of software engineers in his company?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'Can I have control over the playing budget'
    'Sure'
    'I mean direct control not like a share in the control of the budget'
    'Um ok I'm sure we can work something out on that.'
    'Great, so in this contract I see you have reduced the playing budget over which I have control to £30k and there is this new budget called 'owners perogative', what's that for?'
    'Don't worry about that, you'll be consulted before that's spent.'
    'Arggh arghhh its all true you are insane, how did you think I wouldn't notice that? You're a moron'

Prospective manager #14 leaves (not running as it was Mr Evans).
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I'm not so sure that it was ever a matter of plan A Wilder and then no plan B. I suspect they have been in discussions with several candidates and every one has baulked at a) Charlton's now stinking reputation in the football world and b) a failure by RD/KM to give any assurances over the degree of control the new head coach would have.

CARD's goal was to make this club unmanageable. That appears now to be quite literally the case.

Certainly true about the unmanageable bit.

I personally wonder if having full control over transfers and getting it in writing is as big a sticking point as it allegedly was for Wilder. We seem to have been linked with a handful of managers, and the likes of Slade and Adkins don't seem to have gone away, as much as there hasn't been any progress. I do suspect some of that is down to the fact that a lot of people will be taking their holidays now, with the Euros coming up and then pre-season straight afterward.

To me it feels like our conversations with managers doesn't seem to thrill either side. It wouldn't surprise me if we've strung along some candidates, and vice versa, to wait and see if a better option becomes available. What I feel we know is that, in truth, this regime doesn't want the old fashioned "British Manager" because they're never going to give all the day-to-day decision making over to someone. But the problem is they keep pursuing those types, and I suspect it's because they don't know what they're doing or what they want. As a result, this is likely to go in circles for some time, especially with no DoF to instill a vision.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

DA9 said:

Please don't say that, it means he's nailed on cert to come to us.

Also, Steve Evans is the type of man who would say his agent got loads of calls whether it was true or not.
    The one slight positive about our wonderful owners is that you don't need to get too down if you don't like the next manager they appoint because he'll only be there for a few months.

I don't want Evans either - he's a fat, obnoxious tosser - but if we do get him then I'll just concentrate on looking forward to Gary Johnson/Nobby Vinegar/Random Belgian's arrival in mid-October.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Anyone know who Barry O' Mahoney is?!

Barry O' Mahony ‏@barryomahony4 10m10 minutes ago
    I understand Russell Slade is close to being appointed Charlton manager. Slade is currently on holidays, expected to be finalised after that

He followed me this morning. Maybe he thinks I know who the next manager is. Mind you he follows 23,800 others.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

I understand Russell Slade is close to being appointed Charlton manager. Slade is currently on holidays, expected to be finalised after that

He followed me this morning. Maybe he thinks I know who the next manager is. Mind you he follows 23,800 others.
    Reliable enough for the Sevenoaks Chronicle to sanction putting an article on their website that appears to be based solely on the content of his tweet. I still don't think there's anything in it. After his experiences with the bonkers Italian who's busy ruining Orient, and then working for Tan at Cardiff, he'd have to be certifiable to voluntarily take employment at Charlton.
  • Options
    Slade has been interviewed in the last couple of days for the Blackburn job so I assume he's holidaying in Lancashire
  • Options
    Stig said:

I'm thinking of starting a new thread a bit like @3blokes one: 25 days with out a manager, oh flip!

https://staddickstics.wordpress.com/2016/06/01/whats-taking-so-long/

And from that blog, here's the quote of the day:

"Meanwhile Charlton are stuck in a quagmire of their own making".

• Options
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Reliable enough for the Sevenoaks Chronicle to sanction putting an article on their website that appears to be based solely on the content of his tweet.
    He looks about 12 years old!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    colin1961 said:

Madz said:

colin1961 said:

JohnnyH2 said:

So we now enter June and still no one appointed, Great work KM the saving on wages must delight your boss

Lot of clubs trying to fill positions .... which makes it harder to get managers to commit .....like players they won't commit themselves till end of June
    This is not a "Colin" dig so I apologise if it comes across as this because I do listen to a lot of things you say, but that has to be crap. What time of the year a manager is appointed is completely irrelevant, contracts or not. Players yes. Managers no. Managers are sacked and hired all year round. I agree with you that lost of clubs trying to fill positions at the moment which is probably holding things up ( or simply because nobody wants to work for the regime). But because they want to wait until the end of June? Really!!!?
    Players wait till end of June ......

Normally managers don't have a number of vacancies to chose from so at the moment they can be fussy ... Plus of course holidays most players , managers are away till middle of June
    Colin told you he was on holiday

Charlton 'close' to appointing new manager with Championship experience.

• Options
    Please don't post links to the Sevenoaks Chronicle on here please, one of their links screwed up this site before + they seem to be the biggest click bait entity around
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

Steve Evans ? Could this be the what the delay was .....and could he have been the mystery interview last Thursday ???

Evans said on Talksport that he had been on holiday with his family and returned to work yesterday to be given the sack .
  • Options
    No Manager, No Sofa, No netting but we are getting a new pitch...image
  • Options
    And as well we should be. Pitches are usually relaid once, if not twice a year. For all the things this regime has gotten wrong, and that basically comes down to "everything but the pitch and the scoreboard," they have done well to improve the playing surface of The Valley.
  • Options
    BR3red said:

What a lovely stadium we have! Shame about the owner!!!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

And as well we should be. Pitches are usually relaid once, if not twice a year. For all the things this regime has gotten wrong, and that basically comes down to "everything but the pitch and the scoreboard," they have done well to improve the playing surface of The Valley.

And the new red seats...
  • Options

DA9 said:

Katrien: Steve, heard you don't mind how you're mugged off after a few months in a job.
    Evans: No, if the jacket fits I'll wear it.
    Katrien: Perfect Steve. It's a 5-yr contract. Welcome to my club…
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I fear you might incur the wrath of Mr Largo by praising the efforts to improve the pitch since the takeover! It wasn't optional!!!

Given the lack of news of the Head Coach appointment, I find it amusing that the Club sees fit to post advice on the OS site for how supporters can watch the grass grow during the close season!

• Options
    Okay, well I feel like the scoreboard was an improvement, but we can agree to disagree.

As for the pitch, yes he probably had to relay it but didn't have to do the work to improve drainage and overall infrastructure of it all. I'm not saying we laud them for this, I'm just saying we reserve criticism for just about everything else, which they've gotten wrong.
  • Options
    BR3red said:

Can't help thinking that would be much improved by a few thousand beachballs, stress balls and balloons all over it. I kind of got used to that look.....