Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Australia

124»

Comments

• Options

Roy taking only 3 CBs will be a big problem. You can tell how uncomfortable Dier is playing CB against a team with zero ability in Australia, so imagine what will happen if he ends up playing in the later stages after an injury.

From the friendlies so far I'd drop Sturridge (injured/hasn't trained), Barkley (overrated) and Delph.

"Zero ability" like Australia? Not sure what game you were watching mate?

That was the base of the Aussie team, that gave both Chile and the Dutch hard games at the last WC - they are no mugs I can assure you, and of course are current Asian champions.

Another point as well is that football's popularity over here is rocketing, especially at youth level. Don't be surprised to see the Aussies make a big impact in the Qatar World Cup, in conditions they will be familiar with.
    Has Oz recently moved to Asia ?
    Been in the Asian group since 2006, giving an easier route to the World Cup after no qualifications from 1978-2002 from Oceania where they would routinely win their group but then get beaten in a sudden death game vs the lowest ranked South American team.

Did they sledge everyone on the way ?
  • Options

Australia have totally dominated us in this game...i mean....Australia !!!

And yet, they lost... How unique.

Talk to me about Rooney everyone. ( Not digging you here, Pres )

Cannot be bothered to trawl back on some of the pelters I and others have had supporting England's number one goalscorer, because I will be given stick for being the kind of sad case that goes trawling back and digging out people who have given England's number one goalscorer pelters. But I really think he played well tonight, and I also think he looked genuinely delighted at Rashford's goal. I still would not start him up front, but only a fool would not have him in the squad, in my opinion.
    I wouldn't say I have given you pelters. But I have been one saying I wouldn't start Rooney. Yes I'd take him and yes he played well on Friday. But with the systems we play I just don't think he fits into the starting 11.
  • Options

Aussies are no mugs and gave England a hard game. Rooney is quality and must have the number 10 role.

But Ali has made that role his over the last few months? You wanna drop him for Rooney?.
  • Options

Roy taking only 3 CBs will be a big problem. You can tell how uncomfortable Dier is playing CB against a team with zero ability in Australia, so imagine what will happen if he ends up playing in the later stages after an injury.

From the friendlies so far I'd drop Sturridge (injured/hasn't trained), Barkley (overrated) and Delph.

That was the base of the Aussie team, that gave both Chile and the Dutch hard games at the last WC - they are no mugs I can assure you, and of course are current Asian champions.

Another point as well is that football's popularity over here is rocketing, especially at youth level. Don't be surprised to see the Aussies make a big impact in the Qatar World Cup, in conditions they will be familiar with.
    Ye, just in time for the Asiavision song contest.
  • Options
    That Aussie right back who came on for the last 20 mins or so was a cracking player. He can cross the ball incredibly well too.
  • Options
    That was Milos Degenek, in his debut game as well, looked very decent certainly a better player than Josh Risdom, whom he replaced.

Currently plays in the German second division for TSV 1860 Munich.

The Aussie player who would do very well in England, would be Mark Milligan, who almost moved to Palace a few years ago. Similar player to Mile Jedinak, in that he is a big tough bastard, who can play at the back or midfield - actually reminds me a little of Andy Todd!
  • Options

Aussies are no mugs and gave England a hard game. Rooney is quality and must have the number 10 role.

But Ali has made that role his over the last few months? You wanna drop him for Rooney?.
    Definitely

• Options

Been in the Asian group since 2006, giving an easier route to the World Cup after no qualifications from 1978-2002 from Oceania where they would routinely win their group but then get beaten in a sudden death game vs the lowest ranked South American team.

It's sort of easier, but it's not at the same time. The initial group is relatively easy. However, when it comes to the second qualifying group there's the likes of Japan and South Korea. Although both those countries aren't world beaters they are extremely competitive and would make life difficult for many European 'super powers'. Individually Oz has no world beaters, but the likes of Mooy and Jedinak are quality. However, as a team Oz holds up really well and tries to play good football

• Options
    Mooy is a very solid player, has been excellent for Melbourne City this year... Ange (the manager) is the most successful manager in Australia after spells with Brisbane and Melbourne Victory and has engineered Asian Cup success with mainly A League (Australian League) players.

Australia are not the threat they were with Viduke, and Kewell etc... but they are solid.
  • Options
    Tim Cahill was a great player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's sort of easier, but it's not at the same time. The initial group is relatively easy. However, when it comes to the second qualifying group there's the likes of Japan and South Korea. Although both those countries aren't world beaters they are extremely competitive and would make life difficult for many European 'super powers'. Individually Oz has no world beaters, but the likes of Mooy and Jedinak are quality. However, as a team Oz holds up really well and tries to play good football

The problem with the Oceania route was they'd end up playing a two leg decider against a really top side and went out to the likes of Argentina and Uruguay over the years.

There are better teams in Asia than Oceania but at least you can't get bundled out after one bad game.
  • Options

It is odd how many of those Aussie players play at such a low level and outposts of the game, yet managed to make our celebrated stars look pedestrian.

For example if Aaron Mooy isn't a better player than Jordan Henderson, then I am a bi-sexual Dutchman called Glenda!!

Similarly someone like Robbie Kruse seems to drift around the lower end of the Bundesliga, yet whenever he plays for his country, he looks excellent.

Just noticed that Aaron Mooy was in the Championship Team of the season, and has swept up all of the POTY trophies at Huddersfield.

We could have picked him for a song any time in the last two or three years, but obviously our scouting network doesn't get past Belgium.

Another one that should be on our radar is Jamie McClaren, who has top scored in the past two A League seasons, is very sharp and would score bucket loads of goals in the lower leagues of England.

Rumoured to be going to the German Second tier, but would probably prefer England.
  • Options

It is odd how many of those Aussie players play at such a low level and outposts of the game, yet managed to make our celebrated stars look pedestrian.

For example if Aaron Mooy isn't a better player than Jordan Henderson, then I am a bi-sexual Dutchman called Glenda!!

Similarly someone like Robbie Kruse seems to drift around the lower end of the Bundesliga, yet whenever he plays for his country, he looks excellent.

Just noticed that Aaron Mooy was in the Championship Team of the season, and has swept up all of the POTY trophies at Huddersfield.

We could have picked him for a song any time in the last two or three years, but obviously our scouting network doesn't get past Belgium.

Another one that should be on our radar is Jamie McClaren, who has top scored in the past two A League seasons, is very sharp and would score bucket loads of goals in the lower leagues of England.

Rumoured to be going to the German Second tier, but would probably prefer England.
    Unlikely. He was playing for Melbourne City for a couple of years, then signed for the mother club Manchester City, who loaned him out to Huddersfield. Zero chance of actually playing for Man City, I assume it's the usual case of the giant clubs hoovering up talent