Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Portugal

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Short of an injury, the worst thing that could have happened. Won't be any sort of preparation now

I dunno. Work on breaking teams down that sit back. All about movement and creating openings.
    Yeah, but of course this is more necessary for qualification rather than the actual tournament ft. Germany, France etc
    We gotta get out the group first!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Need to start passing it quicker and move

Tutt-Tutt said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

The 4-4-2 Diamond is a bold selection by Hodgson. The full backs have to cover a big space.

Defence looks vulnerable. Smalling is a right footer playing in the left centre back position, so will be weak against passes through the Portuguese inside right channel, especially when Rose pushes on and leaves the full back area exposed.

On the positive side, the Portuguese are 4-4-2 and not man-marking Rooney. He should be finding space to play in Kane & Vardy.

Need to have Dier covering.
    Dier is picking up the opposition attacking midfielder in the no.10 role, in this case it's Rafa Silva (17). If he has to cover across, he'll leave the central area vacant.
    This is why I have been saying you need a genuine box to box player alongside dier. To cover the no 10 when Dier drops to cover the full backs. But this I why I favour a 433 /4231.
    I think he may go 4-2-3-1 against Russia, with Rooney behind Kane. Then use the diamond against Wales. Tonight's selection will keep the Russians guessing.
  • Options
    I guess Wales at least will sit back somewhat
  • Options

You'd presume this will be the starting 11 for the Russia game.

I'd have Wilshere if fit where Alli is, and Alli behind the strikers instead of Rooney but apart from that agree with it.

Changed my mind!

Lack of width means we're not looking dangerous in the slightest.
  • Options
    This system is not working one bit for me.
  • Options

This system is not working one bit for me.

Yep. It's more 4-3-3, which is obviously by design when the opposition have the ball. Rooney is playing too far forward in Kane's space and Vardy is too detached out on the left.
  • Options
    Kane and Vardy looking shit just in time for a major competition...
  • Options
    For me there is no point in trying to find a system that can fit all your best players in. It's never gonna work. Pick your best system and then work with it.

Kane
    Sterling Alli Lallana
    Hendo Dier

Harsh on Vardy but he'll make a great impact sub.

Would have Drinky there ahead of Hendo and Welbeck (if fit) and Townsend in consideration.
  • Options
    DIer & Wilshire as the holding two. A defensive midfielder and a playmaker. Rooney in behind Kane. Alli on his left of Rooney and Milner/Sterling on the right. 4-2-3-1.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Tutt-Tutt said:

DIer & Wilshire as the holding two. A defensive midfielder and a playmaker. Rooney in behind Kane. Alli on his left of Rooney and Milner/Sterling on the right. 4-2-3-1.

Would work for me. Just can't see Wilshere dropping in and covering if a full back bombs on. Or being disciplined enough to play that role. And would rather Alli central in the role he has thrived in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mexican wave going round. Shows how shite this match is.
  • Options
    The system is shit. Change it now why you've got the chance to work on something else.
  • Options
    Crying out for an in form Barclay this game.
  • Options
    zzzzzzzz
  • Options
    This system is designed to fit Rooney and Vardy in, my working at the moment
  • Options
    a team of players who dont look like they know how to play together
  • Options
    For me, it has to be:

Dier - Wilshire
    Sturridge - Alli - Vardy
    Kane

Rooney on the bench. Someone remind me if Wellbeck is fit? If so, happy with him on the right too.

Vardy could play central with Kane dropping out and Llanna (however you spell his name, you know who I mean) can slot it on the left as he has done for the bin dippers.

Milner left tied up in a friggin broom cupboard!
  • Options
    why is kane taking that freekick!?
  • Options
    Operation destroy hope is successful.

How Roy can not see the difference between our line up in the Germany game and this one is criminal.
  • Options
    He makes those subs but keeps the same shape? I mean really?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Russia were 4-3-3 in their last game against Czech Republic. So the 3 in midfield may have been a plan.

More of a diamond now. I don't think Rooney understood his role at the tip of the diamond and played too far forward.
  • Options
    Yeah Rooney on the left, that will fix things
  • Options
    Why pick this diamond formation and then not put anyone into their best positions?

Trying to desperately keep Rooney and Vardy into the team to its own detriment. Just pick one and then bench the other. Put our best player Alli in his best position.
  • Options
    As much as we have lots of really good young exciting attacking talent. I think Roy needs to accept that he won't be able to fit them all into a system and so some of them are going to have to be impact subs.
  • Options
    Worst thing about it all is the doom merchants that'll lap it up.
  • Options
    Much better since the subs. Rooney now up top. Allowing Alli to play his role and create more. Already seen much better link up play than in the first half. Sterling's pace makes him a threat and Wilshere looks like he can create something from nothing with his passing. Something Milner just doesn't have.
  • Options

Much better since the subs. Rooney now up top. Allowing Alli to play his role and create more. Already seen much better link up play than in the first half. Sterling's pace makes him a threat and Wilshere looks like he can create something from nothing with his passing. Something Milner just doesn't have.

Yeah Rooney on the left, that will fix things

Yeah, all a bit of a mess really.
  • Options
    Sturridge and Lallana on for Rooney and Kane.

Looks 4231 to me.

Sturridge
    Sterling Alli Lallana
    Wilshere Dier
  • Options

Sturridge and Lallana on for Rooney and Kane.

Looks 4231 to me.

Sturridge
    Sterling Alli Lallana
    Wilshere Dier

Reminders of last world cup that.
  • Options
    I'm not Sterling's biggest fan but I do think he looks the part for England. Walker's had a great game. All of our full backs have looked good in the last fortnight.

Rather Vardy didn't start. He's only top class at one thing, and that's running at goal and shooting. Not sure he'll get too many chances to do that.