Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Russia

Just ordered me England bunting, flags , car flags , England placemats and England coasters, hope we do well tonight!
Whose up for this one then?

Comments

• Options
    Well up for it. Hope we can give reason to be a little optimistic for the rest of the competition.

Reports are that Vardy will drop to the bench, Sterling and Lallana to start and Rooney in midfield.

I guess it'll be something like this:

Kane
    Sterling Alli Lallana
    Rooney Dier

Or probably more of a 433 with Alli deeper. Would perfer Hendo or Wilshere (Drinkwater) in for Rooney if he is playing that role but Woy will always fin a way to fit him in.

Playing one up front makes the squad xhoice look laughable. 5 strikers and only one proper winger (2 if you count Lallana). Crazy!
  • Options
    It'll be

Rooney Alli Dier
    Sterling Lallana
    Kane

Not a diamond. Shouldn't be either of Raheem or Adam, but sure it will, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I think I read earlier this week that none of the Russian squad play outside Russia. So, they are a bit of an unknown quantity.
  • Options

It'll be

Rooney Alli Dier
    Sterling Lallana
    Kane

Not a diamond. Shouldn't be either of Raheem or Adam, but sure it will, unfortunately.

I dont think those two are too bad. They are the only players in the squad who can provide some genuine width.
  • Options

I think I read earlier this week that none of the Russian squad play outside Russia. So, they are a bit of an unknown quantity.

None of our players play outside England.
  • Options

Roman Neustädter plays for Schalke ;)
  • Options

It'll be

Rooney Alli Dier
    Sterling Lallana
    Kane

No it won't.

It MOST LIKELY will be:

Lallana Dier Ali
    Rooney Kane Sterling

It SHOULD be:

Dier
    Wilshere Drinkwater (Henderson)
    Ali
    Kane Vardy

• Options
    Wouldnt have Sterling or Rooney starting
  • Options

Well up for it. Hope we can give reason to be a little optimistic for the rest of the competition.

Reports are that Vardy will drop to the bench, Sterling and Lallana to start and Rooney in midfield.

I guess it'll be something like this:

Kane
    Sterling Alli Lallana
    Rooney Dier

Or probably more of a 433 with Alli deeper. Would perfer Hendo or Wilshere (Drinkwater) in for Rooney if he is playing that role but Woy will always fin a way to fit him in.

Couldn't agree more.

Danny Murphy called playing Rooney in midfield 'a brave choice' earlier, whereas I think it's the opposite - not being brave enough to drop him given Alli and Kane are better options.

I'd much rather have Wilshere than Rooney, even if it's only for an hour.
  • Options
    I've only seen Rooney play midfield in the FA Cup final. He misplaced passes constantly. He isn't a midfielder drop him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've only seen Rooney play midfield in the FA Cup final. He misplaced passes constantly. He isn't a midfielder drop him!

We watched a different FA Cup Final as I saw him against Palace and he was the main man pinging balls around getting things going
    The games I've seen he has gone for that long killer ball far too often and given possession away. Quick incisive balls are what he is best at, I'd have him in the team.

Just hope that we keep our heads. Discipline could be our undoing.

• Options
  • Options
    I've moaned about Rooney's tournament form as much as anyone. But this year, he's injury and ban-free. In the friendlies he looked like he's maintained his touch. He can pick a pass as well, if not better than most and he helps keep the ball moving through the midfield, spreads the play effectively and is the perfect option for arriving late into the box.

I'm fine with him playing deep, I just hope it's not at the expense of Alli in the middle. After seeing Payet last night, I had renewed hope that Alli might be able to continue his form in a similar way.

Personally I don't want to see Vardy start. Unless Roy has found a way to convince the opposition defence to play on the halfway line.
  • Options
    Well up for this. Think we'll do well this year. 4-0
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Hope we absolutely demolish them though
  • Options
    I'm going for England 3 Russia 1
  • Options
    2-0 win
  • Options
    Hart
    Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose
    Dier
    Alli Wilshere
    Rooney
    Kane Vardy

Is how I'd play
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just had a message from a Forest fan mate whos there and has been singing Goodbye Horse with an Addick at the ground. Top stuff.
  • Options
    It will be.

Hart
    Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Rose
    Dier
    Lallana, Alli, Sterling,
    Rooney
    Kane
  • Options

We watched a different FA Cup Final as I saw him against Palace and he was the main man pinging balls around getting things going
    Pinging the odd Gerrard diagonal ball does not make you a midfielder.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Hart
    Dier
    Alli Wilshere
    Rooney
    Kane Vardy

Is how I'd play

Didn't work v Portugal.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Hart
    Dier
    Alli Wilshere
    Rooney
    Kane Vardy

Is how I'd play

Didn't work v Portugal.
    We're playing Russia
  • Options
    whoevers playing just like with Charlton I hope, no scratch that, expect that they give it their all.

and beat those f@cking Russians!
  • Options

Pinging the odd Gerrard diagonal ball does not make you a midfielder.
    Thank you, been saying that for sodding ages.

The thing is this is the type of match where I think Rooney can be very effective--against a team who will sit deep he can be good at helping to break them down. That said, I'm not entirely convinced he and Alli can play from the start together, and I don't understand playing Rooney in midfield if that's the case. From the sounds of things it will be a sort of Christmas Tree/4-1-4-1, which England haven't really played before. I think very highly of Hodgson, but going to a new formation in your first match feels...odd--though to be fair they could have spent the last week or two working on it in training.
  • Options
    I don't follow the premiership as closely as I should. Have Smalling and Sterling done enough this season to command a starting place? Is Smalling really one of the best 2 English centre backs nowdays?
  • Options
    Can't say i'm overly excited at Lallana and Sterling starting, however if it doesn't work at least we have players on the bench such as Sturridge, Vardy and possibly Wilshire or Barkley who can come on and change a game.