Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Russia

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:

Apparently Dier has not had a single shot on goal when taking free kicks in 65 premier league games.

I cant remember Dier ever taking a direct free kick within 35 yards of the opposition goal for Spurs.

Probably something to do with the fact that Erikksen has scored direct from free kicks more times than any other player currently playing in the PL.

Then of course there's the likes of Lamela, Alli, Dembele, Vertonghen all lining up to hit them too.
  • Options

I'm not getting all the remarks about us being unlucky and deserved more etc. Russia set up to park the bus, so we naturally had the lions share of possession, but we didn't use it to any advantage. One decent free kick and a good low shot from Rooney was just about all we created.

Far too many passengers out there last night. Kane, Sterling, Delli Alli, Lalana (2nd half) all under-performed. It was like they were taunting us to try and break them down.

I understand not starting Vardy, as his game is all about playing into the space behind the back line and there wasn't one. But why not bring him on once we scored, as Russia were forced to finally push forward. Instead, we make negative subs and take the foot off the gas, then seem shocked that we've blown it yet again.

I still think we'll get out of the group (just), but not expecting anymore than that.............

Pretty much it in a nutshell
  • Options

Posted this in the Euro footy thread but guess it belongs here.

Oh sod it here goes. Dispassionate view from your resident Scot (albeit one who has lived in England for 30 years). That was the best English display, first half especially, that I've seen in a competitive tournament since 96. But for a failure to convert some chances and a freaky goal in injury time the mood would be flying at the moment. Maybe actually for the best in a perverse way as it stops everyone getting compmetely carried away. But spare us all the wrist slitting please! Couple of tweaks and this team could go a long way in this tournament. I've not seen much over the weekend that looks any better (Poland were good but the Irish sadly were utter chuff so it's hard to judge). Germany were no better than England. They just know how to close out a game. The French will get better and they have a couple of potential match winners who can do what they did on Friday but they also have the potential to cack their pants big style and implode. This tournament is wide open. Biggest threat to England at the moment is either taking Wales too lightly or getting chucked out if it all goes tits up on Wednesday night.
  • Options

Posted this in the Euro footy thread but guess it belongs here.

Oh sod it here goes. Dispassionate view from your resident Scot (albeit one who has lived in England for 30 years). That was the best English display, first half especially, that I've seen in a competitive tournament since 96. But for a failure to convert some chances and a freaky goal in injury time the mood would be flying at the moment. Maybe actually for the best in a perverse way as it stops everyone getting compmetely carried away. But spare us all the wrist slitting please! Couple of tweaks and this team could go a long way in this tournament. I've not seen much over the weekend that looks any better (Poland were good but the Irish sadly were utter chuff so it's hard to judge). Germany were no better than England. They just know how to close out a game. The French will get better and they have a couple of potential match winners who can do what they did on Friday but they also have the potential to cack their pants big style and implode. This tournament is wide open. Biggest threat to England at the moment is either taking Wales too lightly or getting chucked out if it all goes tits up on Wednesday night.

I agree. I think England have a real chance in this one. We started to get sloppy in the last five minutes and so I'd feared the Russians might score. Still, any sloppy performance is best got out of the way in the first game.
    Has anyone tried working out all the possible permutations of the draw? I think we can beat anyone but I'd personally fear Spain the most if we had to meet them in the second round. I'm sorry, but I watched quite a chunk of that game last night, and do not rate this German side at all. Oesil when he's at his best is a true threat. Kroos is a good player too, but the rest are very average by German standards. If England actually wants to WIN the tournament, then playing the Germans or the French as early as we can would IMO be more in our favour...........the Germans are a tournament team and get better [though how much better this time I doubt] and the French will be under more pressure at home in the early rounds. Of all the teams we can play in this tournament, the next match against Wales could prove one of the hardest.
    Lastly, was Sterling below par or is he just not good enough as an England player? Also, I'd like to think Vardy might have got on the end of some of those first half crosses. He, and Sturridge can make a big difference.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I have always liked Roy Hodgson, but with twenty minutes left I was screaming at him to get Sterling off ( no end results ) and get Vardy on. Both England and Charlton fail to protect a one goal lead, always pulling everyone back and inviting opponents to batter us. Bringing on Milner cost us two points. With Vardy on we could have forced Russia to keep their defence in place. Sorry Roy, down to you in my opinion.

I was too - Matthaus made the same point today - when Hodgson took off Sterling (pace) and put on Milner (no pace), it was inviting Russia on us. In asnswer to a previous question, Lallana or Rooney - Rooney every day!
  • Options
    Matthaus talks a lot of sense, excellent pundit
  • Options

Granpa said:

I have always liked Roy Hodgson, but with twenty minutes left I was screaming at him to get Sterling off ( no end results ) and get Vardy on. Both England and Charlton fail to protect a one goal lead, always pulling everyone back and inviting opponents to batter us. Bringing on Milner cost us two points. With Vardy on we could have forced Russia to keep their defence in place. Sorry Roy, down to you in my opinion.

I was too - Matthaus made the same point today - when Hodgson took off Sterling (pace) and put on Milner (no pace), it was inviting Russia on us. In asnswer to a previous question, Lallana or Rooney - Rooney every day!
    Totally agree with you both.

Vardy lacks the finesse to play up on his own for the 90, but that situation yesterday was totally made for him.

They should have dropped Kane back into the Sheringham role, and then just kept hitting those balls in between the right back and centre back for Vardy to terrorise them with his pace. Even if it doesn't get you a goal, you will end up deep in their half with contested possession, and can basically pen them in their half.

Bringing Milner on allowed their full back to push on, and their entire team to play twenty feet further up the pitch, as we had no pace on the pitch to get behind them.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Granpa said:

Totally agree with you both.

Vardy lacks the finesse to play up on his own for the 90, but that situation yesterday was totally made for him.

They should have dropped Kane back into the Sheringham role, and then just kept hitting those balls in between the right back and centre back for Vardy to terrorise them with his pace. Even if it doesn't get you a goal, you will end up deep in their half with contested possession, and can basically pen them in their half.

Bringing Milner on allowed their full back to push on, and their entire team to play twenty feet further up the pitch, as we had no pace on the pitch to get behind them.
    Yes, and Woy is experienced enough to know this, but it is a cowardice that runs through many good managers. Vardy could have run at the corner flags, I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't the goal, but it would have made it much more difficult to push up on us! We have seen two examples of teams that have exploited this situation and extended their league - but they were Italy and Germany who have much better managers than Hodgson (They are World class managers). Don't get me wrong, Hodgson has done a good job putting together an England team that is capable of winning the tournament if we get a very big slice of luck - but he is dour and too safe in game.