Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Russia

Comments

• Options
    It's fucking
    Leuth said:

kane utter donkey goals in the pl are easy

drop him ROY or you should be hanged

Thought people stopped reading the daily star years ago.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Surely not half as tiresome as the tactical geniuses of the internet doing their kneejerk thing and in this week's episode writing off the best striker in England last season?

Are you saying people can't comment on Kane having a very poor game?

@Davo55 comment just before yours summed it up perfectly.
  • Options
    Kane had 0 touches in Russia's penalty area, that needs to be sorted.
  • Options
    Disagree with views on Kane being poor. Movement off the ball in the lead up to a couple of attempts on goal, won 2 free kicks around the area of which we scored one. Was studs away from poking in one cross, two of his corners lead to chances on goal. I do wonder if people are watching the same game and you can't say that's a difference of opinion.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Disagree with views on Kane being poor. Movement off the ball in the lead up to a couple of attempts on goal, won 2 free kicks around the area of which we scored one. Was studs away from poking in one cross, two of his corners lead to chances on goal. I do wonder if people are watching the same game and you can't say that's a difference of opinion.

Same game indeed...looked flat footed, static, isolated and at times either uninterested or really nervous. Nowhere near the level of performance for Spurs this season. A very good player but a very average one last night.
  • Options
    Should play 4-4-2 with Kane and Vardy together up front.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

1StevieG said:

Same game indeed...looked flat footed, static, isolated and at times either uninterested or really nervous. Nowhere near the level of performance for Spurs this season. A very good player but a very average one last night.
    How did he look uninterested? He was constantly harassing the Russian defenders trying to win the ball back and dragging defenders out of position. Hardly the actions of someone who can't be arsed. He took a kick in the head off the Portugal player and still ran on to chase the ball. In a friendly.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

How did he look uninterested? He was constantly harassing the Russian defenders trying to win the ball back and dragging defenders out of position. Hardly the actions of someone who can't be arsed. He took a kick in the head off the Portugal player and still ran on to chase the ball. In a friendly.
    Then we actually can't have watched the same game.

Not sure what the Portugal game has got to do with anything.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Davo55 said:

Overall, I thought we played very well. With Kane and Sterling the exceptions.

Kane looked like he was stifled, playing too deep - whether by tactical instructions I don't know, but there were a lot of balls across the six yard line and he wasn't even remotely close to any of them. Vardy would have been. I like Kane and I think he'll score goals in this tournament but Vardy should certainly be in against Wales. His pace will frighten Ashley Williams to death.

Team vs Wales

--------------Hart------------------

Walker----Cahill----Smalling----Rose

-------Dier----------------Alli-------

Lallana--------Rooney-----Wilshere

--------------Vardy------------------

You can't have Alli that deep.
    why not Rooney was playing Just in front of Hart at times

• Options
    edited June 2016

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

What I am saying is he is always moving, trying his best even in a friendly. When you say he looks uninterested would he even be on the pitch? You bust a nut in training and then in the game you think fuck this I can't be bothered. Doesn't make sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Apparently the media response has been a storm of disappointment and calling Hodgson tactically suspect.

Fucking bottom-feeding wankers

I think tactics were spot on first half and adapted well when the Russians came on in the second half.

Surprised at Wilshere and Milners appearance and think it killed our momentum whereas perhaps Vardy on for Sterling would have been better and switched Kane wide so Vardy had the middle. Other than that and the lapse of concentration at the end I think it's harsh to criticise Hodgson.

But our media love to knock everyone and negativity and pessimism is always their preferred mindset.

Let's take our disappointment and frustration of last night and use it to smash Wales and Slovakia and push on through the tournament and they'll be nominating him for knighthood when we beat Germany on pens in the final to bring it home.

• Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

What I am saying is he is always moving, trying his best even in a friendly. When you say he looks uninterested would he even be on the pitch? You bust a nut in training and then in the game you think fuck this I can't be bothered. Doesn't make sense.
    Said it on this thread during the game, Kane needed to get out of first gear and he didn't. He may have been under instruction to let the Russian defence have the ball as we knew they would concede possession easily but I'd then expect him to absolutely buzzing when we have it. He wasn't. Zero touches in their box considering how dominant we were at times is woeful. Two good corners offset by two well over hit ones and a shite free kick.

He's been superb for Spurs but last night his head didn't look in it.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Apparently the media response has been a storm of disappointment and calling Hodgson tactically suspect.

Fucking bottom-feeding wankers

I think tactics were spot on first half and adapted well when the Russians came on in the second half.

Surprised at Wilshere and Milners appearance and think it killed our momentum whereas perhaps Vardy on for Sterling would have been better and switched Kane wide so Vardy had the middle. Other than that and the lapse of concentration at the end I think it's harsh to criticise Hodgson.

But our media love to knock everyone and negativity and pessimism is always their preferred mindset.

Let's take our disappointment and frustration of last night and use it to smash Wales and Slovakia and push on through the tournament and they'll be nominating him for knighthood when we beat Germany on pens in the final to bring it home.

Exactly

442 against Wales assuming all fit

Start the same line up in that formation with Vardy on for Sterling after 65 minutes and Wilshere for Rooney

If we are two up by that stage as we ought to be then Milner on for Alli otherwise see it out without Milner coming on
  • Options

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Said it on this thread during the game, Kane needed to get out of first gear and he didn't. He may have been under instruction to let the Russian defence have the ball as we knew they would concede possession easily but I'd then expect him to absolutely buzzing when we have it. He wasn't. Zero touches in their box considering how dominant we were at times is woeful. Two good corners offset by two well over hit ones and a shite free kick.

4 times he was in the box ( 2 offside ) and 2 where he was stretching for the cross and one where Llalanas pass, were it not over hit, would have seen him have a shot on goal. But yeah other than that he couldn't bothered.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

4 times he was in the box ( 2 offside ) and 2 where he was stretching for the cross and one where Llalanas pass, were it not over hit, would have seen him have a shot on goal. But yeah other than that he couldn't bothered.
    lol so still no touches then
  • Options
    edited June 2016

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

At least he was in the box to get those chances.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Hes a striker!!!!!
  • Options
    FWIW I'd have absolutely no complaints about Kane playing against Wales, as I don't think he'd turn in as bad a performance as last night. He's a quality player usually.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Hes a striker!!!!!
    There are 9 other players on the pitch who can have a touch in the box. Doesn't mean anything if he has one game where didn't have a touch in the box.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The other comment from someone else about Roy Hodgson being tactically suspect after one game and having had a perfect qualification bugs me too. The only team to do it in the qualifying stages and yet deemed to be a bit of a cowboy when it comes to tactics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have to say, I disagree with the majority on Roy Hodgson - I don't think his speech impediment is that bad. It's barely even an impediment.
  • Options

I have to say, I disagree with the majority on Roy Hodgson - I don't think his speech impediment is that bad. It's barely even an impediment.

Weally?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Kane won't score every game, but people highlighting his game yesterday haven't got a clue - I'm sorry. He needed better support and he won't score every game and if he doesn't score, or Rooney doesn't score or Alli doesn't score, the chances of us scoring are much diminished. The way I think we should look at it is to discount the keeper and full backs who are decent suppliers and then categorise the other players - forgetting other qualities - on their goalscoring in relation to their position. So from yesterday's team you have: Kane - Above average, Rooney - Above average, Alli - Above average, Dier - slightly above average, Cahill and Smalling - slightly below average, Sterling - below average, Lallana - well below average.

If say you chnaged Townsend for Sterling, you are adding slightly above average for below average - but Sterling is the better player so you might want to up your percentages elsewhere - Lallana is the player crying out to be sacrificed!

This is based on their careers for club and country. So without diminishing the ability of th eteam, you will score more goals if you can replace the below averagers with above averagers.

A real positive was the free-kick though - it was a surprise Dier took it which was exactly why it was so clever - the original dummy and a player the keeper wasn't expecting to take it taking it, lost him reaction time. Very clever.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    England should have won this 4-0. Same old problems, panic in front of goal, inability to take chances .. Uncle Roy made an elementary mistake .. He's stood by Rooney as his captain .. just after we take the lead, Rooney is replaced, just at a time when a calm, older head was needed.
    Wales will be flying after their win, we'll need at least a point from Thursday .. however, the Slovaks look VERY weak.
    The Team: Sterling ? the quickest player on the planet to run up blind, dead end alleys .. Kane ? .. he is the main striker, how come he's taking corners and free kicks .. sort it out lads f f s, we should walk this group
  • Options

Kane won't score every game, but people highlighting his game yesterday haven't got a clue - I'm sorry. He needed better support and he won't score every game and if he doesn't score, or Rooney doesn't score or Alli doesn't score, the chances of us scoring are much diminished. The way I think we should look at it is to discount the keeper and full backs who are decent suppliers and then categorise the other players - forgetting other qualities - on their goalscoring in relation to their position. So from yesterday's team you have: Kane - Above average, Rooney - Above average, Alli - Above average, Dier - slightly above average, Cahill and Smalling - slightly below average, Sterling - below average, Lallana - well below average.

If say you chnaged Townsend for Sterling, you are adding slightly above average for below average - but Sterling is the better player so you might want to up your percentages elsewhere - Lallana is the player crying out to be sacrificed!

This is based on their careers for club and country. So without diminishing the ability of th eteam, you will score more goals if you can replace the below averagers with above averagers.

A real positive was the free-kick though - it was a surprise Dier took it which was exactly why it was so clever - the original dummy and a player the keeper wasn't expecting to take it taking it, lost him reaction time. Very clever.

Apparently Dier has not had a single shot on goal when taking free kicks in 65 premier league games.
  • Options

England should have won this 4-0. Same old problems, panic in front of goal, inability to take chances .. Uncle Roy made an elementary mistake .. He's stood by Rooney as his captain .. just after we take the lead, Rooney is replaced, just at a time when a calm, older head was needed.
    Wales will be flying after their win, we'll need at least a point from Thursday .. however, the Slovaks look VERY weak.
    The Team: Sterling ? the quickest player on the planet to run up blind, dead end alleys .. Kane ? .. he is the main striker, how come he's taking corners and free kicks .. sort it out lads f f s, we should walk this group

Great point about Kane and taking corners Lincs (as indeed mentioned by others). It just does not make sense and is totally illogical. Just been listening to Terry Butcher, John Motson and Kevin Kilbane on 5 Live and they too are perplexed by this tactic/decision. Hodgson comes across as quite a stubborn fella so I can't see punditry and fan pressure making him see sense on this one.

Personally, he was tactically naive yesterday. If he had settled for the 1-0 (as it appeared), he should have dropped Dier into the central defence or brought on John Stones. For me, their aged defence was there for the taking in the latter stages so the ineffective Kane should have been taken off for Vardy, who in turn would have pulled them all over the place at the back, creating more space for Alli / Rooney as Russia pushed on to equalise.

Whether we like it or not (and in hindsight), removing Rooney was a poor tactical decision.
  • Options
    so the keeper would not have expected him to hit it - looks like one from the training ground - that's why it was clever.
  • Options
    At times we played some great stuff last night, just not clinical enough. Tbh I'm not that peeved though, this was probably our toughest fixture in the group.

Note to anyone planning on watching in the William Camden, get there early! Well over 150 people turned away last night.
  • Options
    I think even the best third placed teams get through so we probably only need to win one more from our next two to qualify.
  • Options
    Disappointed, although not at all surprised, by the media's reaction. One of these years those leaches will actually support the bloody team instead of taking every opportunity to heap pressure in them.

Worth mentioning again - we drew our opening games in 66, 90 and 96 as well.