Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Russia

Comments

• Options
    Russia were dreadful. Can see them coming bottom of group.
    Thought Walker had great game, but should have closed down the bloke to stop the cross coming in for their goal.
  • Options

I have read about a dozen comments, I could have won CL whingers bingo in about 30 seconds. Why do some of you even bother watching? Fuck me sideways 'til Wednesday, on another day that's a comfortable 3-0. If you cannot see that you should give up watching football altogether. If you could bottle Russia and Wales' luck and sell it, you would have customers bedding supermodels and winning the lottery all over the place!

I was delighted with Wales' win, but if you look up spawny goal in the dictionary, there's now a picture of that winner. A scuffed pass and a mishit shot. If England had 10% of the jam involved in that we would be top of the group this morning.

Agree. You almost felt the whingers sucked the Russian header in to the net.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Thought Walker had great game, but should have closed down the bloke to stop the cross coming in for their goal.

It was Milner that let Schennikov go past him to put the cross in.
  • Options
    We played well, should've put the game beyond them but if you don't take your chances you're always leaving yourselves open to a sucker punch.

Thought Sterling was poor, absolutely no end product. Kane should not be on corners whilst 5ft 7 Sterling waits in the middle. If a 49m winger can't take a corner then he should be doing extra training every fucking day until he can!

From what i've read Rooney was subbed because he looked tired. If our captain is tired after 75 minutes of our first game, then he shouldn't be there. If he's tired now then what will he be like if we go through and a knock out game goes into extra time? That said, i thought he played well and some of his passes were outstanding.

Would've taken Kane off after we went 1-0 up as Vardy's pace would've created openings. Thought Alli, Dier and Walker were superb.

We're better than Wales but typical England at a tournament i can see it being a draw, so we're sweating going into the last group game.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

I stand corrected.
  • Options
    After the season he's had vardy must get more game time
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

England were the better team, but imo that Russia team look the worst so far.

Russia had a decaying defence, awful passing, route 1 all game and they looked half arsed imo.

Don't understand why you wouldn't play extra pace next to Kane to run and stretch those CB's. They were there to be ran at.

Shutting up shop to invite pressure and not going for a second (which was there to get) was too negative.

Thought that all players barring Sterling and Lallana were decent and with more games will become better. Rooney needed a good performance last night and he gave one.

You thought Lallana was poor??
  • Options
    Was there last night.

Russia are utter toilet.

We looked decent.

Shame we didn't put it to bed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dominated the game but didnt create too many clear cut chances. Kane on set pieces is a strange one. Obviously bangs them in in training.

Obviously disappointed with the result but performance was decent.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

I stand corrected.
    Went past Milner like he was scotch mist. Should have stayed in front of him instead of rushing towards him.
  • Options
    Thought Sterling worked hard , but final ball poor . Was used more centrally in 2014 . We have a luxury of midfield players at the moment , but no real quality wide players . Still think we will have too much for Wales and Slovakia .
  • Options
    Did everything right for 75 minutes but that last 15 minutes cost us - sitting back and maybe the wrong changes.

Easy to say now I guess.
  • Options

Fiiiiiish said:

Russia had a decaying defence, awful passing, route 1 all game and they looked half arsed imo.

Don't understand why you wouldn't play extra pace next to Kane to run and stretch those CB's. They were there to be ran at.

Shutting up shop to invite pressure and not going for a second (which was there to get) was too negative.

Thought that all players barring Sterling and Lallana were decent and with more games will become better. Rooney needed a good performance last night and he gave one.

I never said he was poor.

Thought he had a good first half, but didn't do as much in the second.

Just an opinion

Although Sterling, very average first half and second half no better, if not worse. Clearly looking low on confidence and form.
  • Options
    I couldn't give a fck we didn't win, I really enjoyed the game and watching England last night
  • Options

Felt a bit sorry for Sterling last night, great pace, looks up, when he gets to the byline, and only Kane in the box, knew England fans would make him the fall guy, yet when he was taken off, England was winning 1-0.

Yeah we werent 1-0 up thanks to him though... About three times in the second half alone he just ran blindly into an alley of players or couldnt cross the ball past their first man.

Easily gone backwards since 2014 World Cup
    He linked up well with Ali & Rose first half, second half, most of the team looked dead on the feet, when he took off Rooney & Sterling, it gave the Russians the boost they needed, there right back pushed forward, and helped them score the goal. bringing on Wiltshire and Milner, wow, just wow.
  • Options
    Thought some of the football up front was very good. He may have got the subs wrong.
    MOM for me was the right back.

I thought they said we had never won our opening game --- and only four games ever in the tournament? Find the second part stunning if true

Overall it's England and as with CAFC prepare to be disappointed they never fail in that regard
  • Options

Thought some of the football up front was very good. He may have got the subs wrong.
    MOM for me was the right back.

I thought they said we had never won our opening game --- and only four games ever in the tournament? Find the second part stunning if true

Overall it's England and as with CAFC prepare to be disappointed they never fail in that regard

That second part definitely isn't true - 2 wins in each of 96, 2004 and 2012 for a start.

Think they said 3 wins in major tournaments in the last ten years which surprised me until I went through it - didn't qualify in 2008, one in 2010, two in 2012, None in 2014.
  • Options
    Overall, I thought we played very well. With Kane and Sterling the exceptions.

Kane looked like he was stifled, playing too deep - whether by tactical instructions I don't know, but there were a lot of balls across the six yard line and he wasn't even remotely close to any of them. Vardy would have been. I like Kane and I think he'll score goals in this tournament but Vardy should certainly be in against Wales. His pace will frighten Ashley Williams to death.

Team vs Wales

--------------Hart------------------

Walker----Cahill----Smalling----Rose

-------Dier----------------Alli-------

Lallana--------Rooney-----Wilshere

--------------Vardy------------------
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately I believe Hodgson has made his mind up and kane is his preferred choice
  • Options
    kane utter donkey goals in the pl are easy

drop him ROY or you should be hanged
  • Options
    Rooney was excellent last night, very negative substitutions , meant we sat back and invited pressure.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    We shouldn't go overboard. Hodgson has developed a very good side and one that with a fair wind could win the tournament. Unfortunately, with a foul one they might not get past the group stage. As northstandsteve has said, the substitutions were negative - but a lot of managers when only a goal up think, if we can hang on for 5 minutes. That is fair enough if you are hanging on prior to those 5 minutes, but if you are well on top, you have to respond positively rather than negatively when your opponent's get desperate! 8 out of 10 times you will hold on, but the best tactic is to use your opponents desperation against them!

Never mind, we ought to beat Wales. Lallana played well enough, but I'd play Vardy instead against Wales. That would mean, Kane, Vardy, Rooney and Alli as attacking players who can put the ball in the net regularly. That gives you roughly 25% more chance of finishing your chances. This has always been my issue with people questioning Rooney - you can't take goals out of the side, forgetting his quality.
  • Options
    Thought the shape and commitment was excellent. Not quite sure what happened at the start of the second half as we looked slow and out of sorts but got ourselves back together.

My only complaints would be that Kane should be nowhere near set pieces and that Vardy should have replaced Kane from around 70 mins. Not only because Kane was not at his best but Vardy needed to be blooded and would add pace and give the Russian's plenty to worry about, ditto Rashford.

No one hid out there last night and whilst Sterling didn't have a great game, he amongst many others didn't hide and were always looking for the ball.

Many more positives than negatives. Enjoyed seeing an England team give it a right good go.

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Overall, I thought we played very well. With Kane and Sterling the exceptions.

Kane looked like he was stifled, playing too deep - whether by tactical instructions I don't know, but there were a lot of balls across the six yard line and he wasn't even remotely close to any of them. Vardy would have been. I like Kane and I think he'll score goals in this tournament but Vardy should certainly be in against Wales. His pace will frighten Ashley Williams to death.

Team vs Wales

--------------Hart------------------

Walker----Cahill----Smalling----Rose

-------Dier----------------Alli-------

Lallana--------Rooney-----Wilshere

--------------Vardy------------------

You can't have Alli that deep.
  • Options
    People calling Kane poor (apart from the fact he's taking set pieces that he shouldn't be - it should be Rooney or Lallana really) have to look around Kane to find the problem. Russia squeezed centrally so Kane had to try pull of to sides to do a job that Sterling and others couldn't do.

Drop Sterling - start Vardy, no more changes than that are needed - test the keeper a shade more and we'll have no problems.

Players played well, Woy let them down with his subs.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Fiiiiiish said:

My opinion is Lallana is a good two footed player who worked his socks off
    last night but his record of no goals in 25 internationals as an attacking midfielder is just not good enough.

Sterling, a Man city reserve player also worked very hard, but his confidence is lower than it was two years ago and i said at the time i would rather have Townsend than Sterling who form in a poor Newcastle team was very good in the last six weeks of the season.

I felt really sorry for Harry Kane as he did the runs yet the balls were consistently over hit or didn't reach him in the box.
    Who's great idea was it for Kane to take Corners ?

How can your number 9 not get a touch in the Penalty area for 93 minutes,
    when you have the majority of Possession ?

This is not bed wetting folks, but just stating the facts.

when you have the fire power of Vardy, Sturidge and young Rashford why didn't any of them get on in 90 minutes when even my old Mum sent me a Text saying the team can't get the ball to Kane.

We are so much better than Wales, in every position except one,
    or two if Ramsey has a good game as well as Bale.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

kane utter donkey goals in the pl are easy

drop him ROY or you should be hanged

These stopped being funny ages ago
  • Options
    Surely not half as tiresome as the tactical geniuses of the internet doing their kneejerk thing and in this week's episode writing off the best striker in England last season?