Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Russia

Comments

• Options
    Smalling - probably yes. Only other natural CB in the squad is Stones. Dier could play there but is better in midfield.

Sterling - definitely not.
  • Options

I don't follow the premiership as closely as I should. Have Smalling and Sterling done enough this season to command a starting place? Is Smalling really one of the best 2 English centre backs nowdays?

Smalling probably yes. Sterling no. Roy just obviously didn't see Vardy working out wide or it working 2 up top so Sterling is probably our best option in that event.
    Don't particularly agree myself, I'd like to have seen Kane and Vardy on the pitch together.
  • Options

I don't follow the premiership as closely as I should. Have Smalling and Sterling done enough this season to command a starting place? Is Smalling really one of the best 2 English centre backs nowdays?

Smalling yes, definitely, England's best center half. On his day he's very good, but the problem is he seems to have an unforced error in him, a lack of concentration, not doing something simply, etc.

Many on here said they wouldn't have taken Sterling, although he's assisted England's last three goals. I would have taken him, and I think his dribbling, close control, pace, and vision (which in my opinion is underrated) make him a very special player. He's not had the best of seasons at City, but he's still only 21.

As far as deserving a starting place, now that we're at the tournament it's horses for courses. I don't think you let club form dictate who starts in the opening match.

As for the personnel, as I said before, its odd. But it does allow for flexibility, as they could could 4-2-3-1 with Rooney as the #10 and Lallana and Sterling out wide, or a diamond with Alli and Lallana shuttling, Dier at the base, Sterling at the tip, and Rooney and Kane up front.

Not long now, can't believe it. Really excited for this.
  • Options
    I've got a Switzerland, Wales, England treble!!
  • Options
    I've got a feeling it will be a game of two halves.
  • Options
    Sterling not good enough recently, but the logical choice for that formation. I'll say it again, Wellbeck is a much bigger miss for the squad than most people are talking about. Would've started and done well in that formation.

Roy was determined to get Rooney in and this was probably the best system to allow that. Personally would've liked to Vardy up top with Kane, but he'd have had to drop Rooney or Alli and was determined not to.

Certainly better than what he tried vs Portugal though.
  • Options
    Bromley expects

• Options
    Beautiful city Paris.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Beautiful city Paris.

especially this apartment!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36508408
  • Options
    I'm so confused by Marion Bartoli's inclusion in the ITV set up.
  • Options
    I want to punch ITV
  • Options
    At the game buzzin!!!!
  • Options
    So Rooney is on the left side of midfield. He played on the left against Italy in the last World Cup and ended up chasing Darmian' s shadow as he ran past him. I hope Roy has set the team up better than for that game.
  • Options
    England fans still booing opposition national anthem since 1972.
  • Options
    That Russian anthem is the best fucking anthem of all time
  • Options
    Come on England.
  • Options
    Heart says 3-0 win, head says we're getting a draw at best.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

England fans still booing opposition national anthem since 1972.

IN GER LAND LA LA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dier to score first, 2-0 England
  • Options
    England are 4-1-2-3. DIer sitting in front of the Centre Backs, allowing Rooney from left centre and Alli from right centre to push on. Sterling is staying outside Rooney to provide width on the left, Lallana is coming inside from the right to join in with Kane at CF, and the full backs have licence to push on. Very positive.
  • Options
    I'm monitoring my phone as I'm at the festival hall to see Femi Kuti.

Come on England!!!!
  • Options
    Started promisingly
  • Options
    Not bad so far, but we need to take one of these chances.
  • Options
    Playing well though. Just need to get the goal while we're on top.
  • Options
    I mean if Kane was good at corners I could maybe understand the thinking behind it...
  • Options
    Don't mind the starting team and formation, but if we are leaving 3 strikers on the bench, then maybe we should have brought Townsend instead of one of them