Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England manager after Roy

I like Roy as a bloke and I think he's currently the best man for the job.

If where getting greedy though there is just something a little bit extra we are crying out for.

We had the chances against Russia and a sense of bad luck but it's just incredibly frustrating that we didn't win that game but can win all the qualifying games and the pre euro warm ups.

The England manager tenure is usually a very short one, excluding prize prat Sven who boasted one of England's best squad of players quality wise and could do nothing significant with it.
What a c*nt that bloke was.

I think that the options are very limited but I don't want another non English manager. I hate that and it's never proven to be successful either.

Little shortlist that is scary:

Gary Neville

Big Sam

Uncle Knobhead (sorry but his inclusion is unfortunate but annoyingly somehow still relevant)

Eddie Howe

Carry on with Hodgson regardless of anything

Erm...help me out here. There must be someone obvious I have not mentioned yet.

Comments

• Options
    Eddie Howe or carol fry, tough one but probably just Howe
  • Options
    I don't care if he's an Argie... Pochettino for me. Bought through loads of English players and plays great football
  • Options
    Would quite like Howe. Plays some nice attacking stuff as we saw at the Valley last year ( Despite us being woeful that day.) Has done an incredible job with Bournemouth though so can't really see him leaving unless it was to one of the top 4.
  • Options
    GREAT IDEA DAVE@L sack ROY
  • Options
    Could go foreign again. Plenty of experienced Belgian managers head coaches around.
  • Options
    Seriously though, I was all keen for Martinez a few years ago. Now he's free! :D
  • Options

We draw one game and we're looking at the next manager.

This is where we keep going wrong.

Keep the manager and keep the young players regardless of 2016 outcome.

See this tournament as part of build up for 2018 world cup.

Stop thinking short term and try and build over more than one tournament.

Keep Roy.

This reactive post suggests I've tried to start a Roy out brigade and I'm the most irrational narrow minded still drunk days after the Russia hiccup c*nt that wants Roy out now - fan evolved from the back of a purely cut throat unfair 21st century results based business.

I've been riddled.
  • Options
    I actually really like Hodgson. Think I'd like to see him in charge until the 2018 World Cup.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

GREAT IDEA DAVE@L sack ROY

"I like the bloke and think he's currently the best man for the job"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Karel Frayere
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

I don't care if he's an Argie... Pochettino for me. Bought through loads of English players and plays great football

good shout BUT I reckon the FA will be set on an English manager for the next few years .. also, Poch will be at Real Madrid/Bayern Munich soon I will wager, perhaps even the Argie job .. he's a terrific manager/coach ..
    IF Roy's team is a failure here, he's gotta go, if nothing else the media will crucify him and that would destroy the spirit in this young and still developing squad .. I REALLY hope that is not gonna happen though
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm actually quite worried that England will be home after 3 games and the FA come in and take Brussell Slave or whatever his name is.
  • Options
    Shortlist of two

• Options
    Dave2l said:

I like Roy as a bloke and I think he's currently the best man for the job.

If where getting greedy though there is just something a little bit extra we are crying out for.

We had the chances against Russia and a sense of bad luck but it's just incredibly frustrating that we didn't win that game but can win all the qualifying games and the pre euro warm ups.

The England manager tenure is usually a very short one, excluding prize prat Sven who boasted one of England's best squad of players quality wise and could do nothing significant with it.
    What a c*nt that bloke was.

I think that the options are very limited but I don't want another non English manager. I hate that and it's never proven to be successful either.

Little shortlist that is scary:

Gary Neville

Big Sam

Uncle Knobhead (sorry but his inclusion is unfortunate but annoyingly somehow still relevant)

Eddie Howe

Carry on with Hodgson regardless of anything

Erm...help me out here. There must be someone obvious I have not mentioned yet.

Really? You're easily pleased!! Really can't wait to see the back of him quite frankly.

Need someone young and vibrant in, a risk taker. Neville damaged stock for the time being and Allardyce/Bruce would be taking another step back.

Take a risk and give someone like Eddie Howe a go I say. Failing that, Pochettino would be a good shout simply just to annoy Spurs fans.
  • Options
    No one has mentioned Southgate, the current U21 boss and just won the Toulon tournament. If Neville is on the shortlist after doing nothing as a manager, then i'm sure he will be too.
  • Options
    Can see Slavan Bilic getting an offer if he has another couple of good seasons.
  • Options
    Actually, now may not be such a bad time to start thinking about a change of manager. I like Roy and think he has done a good job as England boss. The setup was a bloody mess when he took over and he has steadied the ship and successfully guided us through the transition to a new young squad.

However, I think his inherent cautiousness as a manager, as evidenced by the subs on Saturday, may mean he is no longer the best man for the job.

What I think we need after this tournament is a manger who a) will develop a clear plan for how the national team will play and not be tempted to deviate too far from that approach so we can go into the next world cup with a clear and settled game plan and b) be willing to be a bit more attacking and let this new group of young attack minded players play with the shackles off a little.

Maybe Roy can adapt to do that, his starting XI and the way they played vs Russia was a good start and there aren't a lot of standout alternatives. I think Howe would probably attack the job in the right manner but he is still very young in coaching terms.

English football sometimes gets too hung up on changing managers based solely on results though - Southampton, Leicester and Watford have recently shown that the right time for a managerial change is not so cut and dried and can sometimes be when a team is doing relatively well.
  • Options
    Doesn't really matter - we are a tire 2 international team and have been for as long as I can remember - current crop not a patch on 90 or 96 and we still weren't quite good enough then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not sure we could reasonably expect any more than he has achieved. He's converted the team to a young, promising side. Sure, we let two points slip from our grasp on Saturday, but international tournaments can be harsh because you don't get another 40-odd games to make up for the odd slip.

He's got together a group that are young and cohesive. Let's keep him. There is no natural successor even if we do screw up at some point in this competition.

I don't think we are anywhere good enough to win this competition as a top side will stop us playing and find a gap in our moderate defence. But, a lack of good defenders is not Roy's fault.

Hopefully, two years' extra experience will see this team improve for the 2018 World Cup.
  • Options

No one has mentioned Southgate, the current U21 boss and just won the Toulon tournament. If Neville is on the shortlist after doing nothing as a manager, then i'm sure he will be too.

It's a common path with other countries, Southgate must be in with a good chance
  • Options

It's a common path with other countries, Southgate must be in with a good chance
    good coach so 'they' say .. but lacks the gravitas and charisma for the job ? .. could be a good # 2
  • Options
    Since when did the FA look to appoint anyone with charisma though?
  • Options
    Eddie Howe is the only English manager i'd want anywhere near the job.
  • Options
    While you always want the person to be tactically good, I think personality needs to play a part in who gets the next job.

It was interesting listening to various tournament previews and the way that, before winning major tournaments, France, Spain and Germany all developed a clear philosophy for how they wanted to play and then stubbornly stuck to it. France appear to have done that this time too, and interestingly it is felt that Deschamps has rejected some of his more talented players in favour of squad balance and who is the best player for each role he needs to fill - hence why someone like Hatem Ben Arfa has missed out.

We do have a tendancy to keep chopping and changing the way we try and play and sometimes shoe horn in players to ill suited roles, which often ends up working to the detriment of both player and team. I think the media pressure plays its part in that sometimes and I think it would help if England had manager who didn't give a flying do-dah what the media thinks.

It has to be said, however, that likes of France, Spain and Germany tend to have a deeper pool of talent to choose from so perhaps have bit more leeway on squad selection.
  • Options
    Not sure I'd want Hodgson gone but Neville or Southgate should be the next. Part of the FA setup and know how it works.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    C_A_F_C said:

Eddie Howe is the only English manager i'd want anywhere near the job.

Gareth Southgate did well in the Toulon Tournament this Summer but his only challenge was France, in the previous U21 Competitions he's not got us out of the Groups.
    Alan Pardew is another experienced option but he's Alan Pardew so that rules him out.

Eddie Howe / Sean Dyche are both good young Englishmen...

They're part of the new breed of Manager rather than the usual old guard and both have had set-backs in their careers and have dealt with them really well (Howe failed at Burnley, dropped back down with Bournemouth and has never looked back... Dyche is the new Alan Curbishley in the sense that he's dealt with relegation from the Premier League the best way possible, not to mention he worked for the England U21s when he left Watford).

I know you could put Gary Neville in that class but I don't want us going for a big name just because he played for the country so will be good at motivating the squad... Yes David Beckham I'm talking about you!!
  • Options
    Eddie Howe. No contest, but he's too good for England.
  • Options
    I'd love Allardyce as England manager as he never fails anywhere. I'd also like Sean Dyche - a bloke that is constantly overlooked when it comes to premier league vacancies.