Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England manager after Roy

Comments

• Options
    After watching Italy v Belgium last night, I feel we're a better side than we were, but we are still a fair way short of what the best teams can do.
    At least I feel more affinity with our international team again after a good few years of feeling strangely apathetic.
  • Options

Sam Allardyce should've been appointed as the England manager instead of Steve McClaren back in 2006. I just finished reading his autobiography and he makes it very clear that he absolutely wanted and always wants the England job. The book is worth a read. He gives a lot of insight into the game and how he deals with players, chairmen, and the press. He does come across arrogant at times but overall I think he's a very good, experienced manager. He's confident and his man-management skills are truly impressive. As for the playing style of his teams, he mentions quite a few times in his book that if an Allardyce team plays long ball it's a long ball and if it's ManU or Chelsea it's a long pass. I think he's got a point.

Eddie Howe, much as I'd like to see him have a successful career, I don't think he's done anything (yet) to prove he can manage top players and the extreme pressure the England job brings.

Pochettino, currently one of my favourite managers in the Premier League. But I can't see it happening.

How about Mark Hughes? I know he's not English but he's done a great job at Stoke City. Is there a rivalry between Wales and you?

For me Wales v England is like Charlton v Gillingham this season... Not really a rivalry there but one is created when the two play each other, when the two don't play each other there isnt really any love lost yet the two dont care about each other.

Ireland v England is the equivalent of Charlton v Palace (i.e. not in Great Britain yet hate us, not in London yet hate us)
    Scotland v England is the equivalent of Charlton v Millwall (i.e. two local sides with a strong historical rivalry)
    Ha, thanks. But I always thought Palace were in London?
    :open_mouth: They're in Surrey!!... Go wash your mouth out ;)
    Whaaaat?! Surrey?!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Ross_cafc said:

Ross_cafc said:

For me, the style of football under Roy (and many predecessors) just isn't really up to the standard if we're serious about pushing on and eventually being contenders. Maybe the players aren't up to it as a collective, who knows without seeing more than we get to see as fans. Tactically, the approach just seem very basic to me. Easy for me to say, I know!

Compare our shambles of a defence against a poor Russia side to Conte's Italy against Belgium tonight. Conte took over after Italy failed to get out of England's group at the world cup. I don't know how Hodgson survived that or didn't just quit and admit he's not good enough. That's the difference.
    completely agree, defending was poor, the goal was inexcusable tactically.

Also, if you look at Germany yesterday (I only saw the first half) - their movement was a different class to anything I've seen from England for years. Whenever the ball was 25/30 yards out, there were always 2/3/4 off the ball runs dragging the Ukrainian defence/midfield all over the place. As soon as that option wasn't used, different runs were made within seconds. Support to the ball carrier was also a lot more dynamic and progressive. England, to me, are too pedestrian and predictable.

if you saw that half you'd also have seen them regularly ceding possession to ukraine in the last 20 minutes of the half, falling completely out of shape and looking at times like a total rabble
    I wasn't talking about their defending, just their creativity going forward.
  • Options
    garfield said:

Wenger all day long, knows the English game inside out and plays attractive, attacking football.

And likes working with kidsYounger players.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Sam Allardyce should've been appointed as the England manager instead of Steve McClaren back in 2006. I just finished reading his autobiography and he makes it very clear that he absolutely wanted and always wants the England job. The book is worth a read. He gives a lot of insight into the game and how he deals with players, chairmen, and the press. He does come across arrogant at times but overall I think he's a very good, experienced manager. He's confident and his man-management skills are truly impressive. As for the playing style of his teams, he mentions quite a few times in his book that if an Allardyce team plays long ball it's a long ball and if it's ManU or Chelsea it's a long pass. I think he's got a point.

Eddie Howe, much as I'd like to see him have a successful career, I don't think he's done anything (yet) to prove he can manage top players and the extreme pressure the England job brings.

Pochettino, currently one of my favourite managers in the Premier League. But I can't see it happening.

How about Mark Hughes? I know he's not English but he's done a great job at Stoke City. Is there a rivalry between Wales and you?

For me Wales v England is like Charlton v Gillingham this season... Not really a rivalry there but one is created when the two play each other, when the two don't play each other there isnt really any love lost yet the two dont care about each other.

Ireland v England is the equivalent of Charlton v Palace (i.e. not in Great Britain yet hate us, not in London yet hate us)
    Scotland v England is the equivalent of Charlton v Millwall (i.e. two local sides with a strong historical rivalry)
    Ha, thanks. But I always thought Palace were in London?
    :open_mouth: They're in Surrey!!... Go wash your mouth out ;)
    Whaaaat?! Surrey?!
    Oi don't you push em my way.

They can bloody stay in the no-mans land that is Croydonia.

We disowned that area back when Crystal Palarse were formed.
  • Options

Arsene Wenger is a dark horse for the England job.

Clearly coming to the end of the road at Arsenal, and I think it is fair to say that international management is much better suited to an older man, who doesn't wish to be out on the training pitch all of the time.

Eddie Howe needs to manage a bigger club than Bournemouth, before he can be considered for England!

Rumoured for Southampton - that would be a perfect step up in my view. If he doesn't fancy the Valley of course.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Big Sam? Is this a wind up?
  • Options
    Can't do any worse than Hodgson
  • Options

True. At least he'd get them fired up. I just thought they'd go for a more exotic flavour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad thing is I can't think of anyone else half decent who I thought would take it.

Best of a bad bunch.
  • Options
    All for Big Sam having a go at it, can't do any harm.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

True. At least he'd get them fired up. I just thought they'd go for a more exotic flavour.

We tried that before and it didn't work either
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Who though? Anyone decent would rather be in club management.
  • Options
    if you'd told me big sam was looking likely a few years ago I'd have been horrified - but at this point can he really do any worse?
  • Options
    Very underwhelming if it is him but yeah, the list of potential replacements is very short. I just hope that he isn't being picked because he is English. That really should not be a criteria when looking for a manager.
  • Options
    He won't get beat very often.
  • Options

I really didn't want him a couple of weeks ago but now im warming to the idea. He'd put a few ego's in place and probably install a bit of hunger and pride within a fairly talented squad. Like our own Chris Coleman.

This, every player would know there job and stick to it or they would be out.

We dont produce technically gifted players yet we try to play like we are Spain or Germany and wonder why are players fool short, Big Sam would allow us to play to our strengths and we might progress.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jams said:

if you'd told me big sam was looking likely a few years ago I'd have been horrified - but at this point can he really do any worse?

He was unfortunate to lose out to McLaren. He went into his interview armed with PowerPoint presentations and stats etc. but lost out to a man who was already in the system. I think Sam is a great choice. If anyone can take that bunch of losers and give them a shake up it's him. I certainly don't think he'll pick underperforming players, and his players will surely have to fit his system.

Still, I'm probably not going to make any effort to watch them.
  • Options

I really didn't want him a couple of weeks ago but now im warming to the idea. He'd put a few ego's in place and probably install a bit of hunger and pride within a fairly talented squad. Like our own Chris Coleman.

We dont produce technically gifted players yet we try to play like we are Spain or Germany and wonder why are players fool short, Big Sam would allow us to play to our strengths and we might progress.
    But one of the few plus points for Hodgson was that we were playing at least some form of expansive football that at times was quite entertaining (in qualifying). I can't see us doing anything like with Allardyce. So once again that will lead to fans and the media getting on the team's back for being boring and thus ending up turning on him. And so the merry go round starts again.
  • Options
    Sacked from every single job he's had other than Bolton.

Allegations throughout his career that he's on the take from certain agents and pressuring players to sign for specific agents.

Plays dreadful football at every club he's managed.

Many many better managers around, just a shame the FA seems to put 'being English' above actual ability.
  • Options
    The time for playing pretty football is over. Results are needed and Sam is a results man.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

But one of the few plus points for Hodgson was that we were playing at least some form of expansive football that at times was quite entertaining (in qualifying). I can't see us doing anything like with Allardyce. So once again that will lead to fans and the media getting on the team's back for being boring and thus ending up turning on him. And so the merry go round starts again.
    I cant really remember playing great stuff under Hodgson, but i memory may be clouded by how poor we was in the last 2 tournaments under him.

I also dont think Big Sam plays boring football by default, he will work with what he has and play as a premiere league English side which is what Hodgson forgot to do as soon as we got to tournament football.

The success we had under Hodgson in qualifying i felt was based around counter attacking wingers, he then seemed to try and play through the middle and we become slow and predictable.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Big Sam? Is this a wind up?

why would it be a wind up? The bloke is a success story. Would you rather some lightweight took the job instead because he once won the Eredivisie in 1994?

Other than a negative experience at Newcastle, Big Sam has known nothing but success. I think he'd be a fantastic England manager.
    I hope the bloke is a success, I really do. I actually like him from what I've heard from him on the box over the years. I guess I'm wanting to see England play free-flowing football, be able to take teams apart, playing attractive football. I can only see it like the way he'd set up a team to come to WHL. Two solid banks of four or maybe 5 in midfield, everyone would know their jobs, they'd be well organised and they'll play on the break with a huge reliance on set pieces anywhere in the opponents half and the second ball.

I agree with you that he has been a success everywhere he has been apart from Newcastle. He's done brilliantly keeping teams mid-table and out of relegation. He turned around Sunderland last year miraculously as they looked dead and buried at one point. However, I just cant imagine a Big Sam set up having success internationally. But then again, perhaps thats exactly what we need to go. Go retro, revert to 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 with a mobile target man and two out and out wingers...but can you see Sam playing with two attacking wide men? I'd put money on him using Milner. I agree that he'll go in there and ruffle some feathers. Thats exactly what he needs to do! Put a rocket up Kane's backside for a start!

Good luck to him if he gets it, he's got my full support and I hope he does well.

(Personally I would have either gone for Hoddle - IMO was the best England coach we've had in years but he's been out of the game too long now and there's still the stigma of his previous misdemeanors hanging over his head, or maybe Klinsmann if there was some remote chance we could pull him and his settled family away from the US).
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I cant really remember playing great stuff under Hodgson, but i memory may be clouded by how poor we was in the last 2 tournaments under him.

I also dont think Big Sam plays boring football by default, he will work with what he has and play as a premiere league English side which is what Hodgson forgot to do as soon as we got to tournament football.

The success we had under Hodgson in qualifying i felt was based around counter attacking wingers, he then seemed to try and play through the middle and we become slow and predictable.
    I didn't say great. I would also say that there is zero chance of Allardyce playing anything close to entertaining football. So what has suddenly changed that just a year ago we were after entertaining football and bringing through young players (something Hodgson has done tbf and something I don't see Allardyce doing) to demanding results at all costs? I'm not saying one is right and the other wrong but people need to make their minds up.

If it is the case that people want results at whatever cost I guarantee it will be in about a year's time we are all moaning about how boring it is watching England. Again.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

I didn't say great. I would also say that there is zero chance of Allardyce playing anything close to entertaining football. So what has suddenly changed that just a year ago we were after entertaining football and bringing through young players (something Hodgson has done tbf and something I don't see Allardyce doing) to demanding results at all costs? I'm not saying one is right and the other wrong but people need to make their minds up.

If it is the case that people want results at whatever cost I guarantee it will be in about a year's time we are all moaning about how boring it is watching England. Again.
    You need a mixture of both. No point playing good football under suitable tactics and bringing players through, if when you get to a major competition you start playing players and a system, that revolves around certain figures like Rooney. Then when the going gets tough, you've got no plan B and no morale to get you out the shit.

Im hoping that Sam will have more talent at his disposal than he's ever had, and he can come to a good mixture of playing well and getting results.
  • Options
    I am happy with Sam, I'd much rather have had Portugal's Euros and not win a game in 90 minutes and win the thing than Germany's.

He seems a pretty good manager, no nonsense and won't shoehorn someone like Rooney into the side if he doesn't think he is the best man for the job and knows how to make a side hard to beat.

He's just always done the job given to him really, maybe we won't have some of the pretty good level of football we had in the qualifiers for this but ultimately the style you do it in really doesn't mean a lot, the only thing that matters is the one month every 2 years and I trust him to get more results there than the other candidates.

I think it's forgotten that Bolton were a rather good side under him and nearly got into the CL with Okocha and co and how good West Ham were under him at the beginning of last season until all their injuries hit, think they were pretty near the CL spots and playing decent attacking football with Downing on fire.

I also strongly believe that the England manager should be English, if we can't get the right candidates from a country of our side and the sort of talent that comes here then that is our own problem and I don't think we should be able to get a Rafa/Wenger in as a band aid to cover up our failings as the point of International football is to put us against the world.
  • Options

Sacked from every single job he's had other than Bolton.

Allegations throughout his career that he's on the take from certain agents and pressuring players to sign for specific agents.

Plays dreadful football at every club he's managed.

Many many better managers around, just a shame the FA seems to put 'being English' above actual ability.

Portugal played pretty dreadful football at times, but the aim is to win games.

Anyway, how exciting was our football against Slovakia and Iceland?