Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England manager after Roy

Comments

• Options
    The best two managers we've had in the last 40 years were Robson and Venables. Both had successful management careers in England but also abroad, and coincidentally both had successful spells at Barcelona.

Much as I like Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche I just don't get how they're even in the picture. Hodgson has a wealth of European and international management experience, and Hoddle had managed successfully at the top level too.

Right now there is no English alternative to Roy in my view unless you go back to Hoddle. I agree with Henry therefore, stick with Roy let him carry on building with one of the best groups of young players we've ever seen (or give them to Hoddle).
  • Options
    Guy Luzon. He's the next Sir Alex Ferguson! It must be true, Katrien said so.
  • Options
    Marc Wilmots will be available soon.
  • Options
    Sam is as meticulous as Mourinho but he doesn't get much credit for it. I would like to see what he can do, tactically, with a high quality squad. He also has the right personality to deal with the stick. It just makes him... Somewhat unlikeable in person.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    For me, the style of football under Roy (and many predecessors) just isn't really up to the standard if we're serious about pushing on and eventually being contenders - it's too laboured and predictable. Maybe the players aren't up to it as a collective, who knows without seeing more than we get to see as fans. Tactically, the approach just seem very basic to me. Easy for me to say, I know!
  • Options
    Ross_cafc said:

For me, the style of football under Roy (and many predecessors) just isn't really up to the standard if we're serious about pushing on and eventually being contenders. Maybe the players aren't up to it as a collective, who knows without seeing more than we get to see as fans. Tactically, the approach just seem very basic to me. Easy for me to say, I know!

Compare our shambles of a defence against a poor Russia side to Conte's Italy against Belgium tonight. Conte took over after Italy failed to get out of England's group at the world cup. I don't know how Hodgson survived that or didn't just quit and admit he's not good enough. That's the difference.
  • Options
    Oh god no not back to hoddle surely?

Happy with Roy to take us through to next World Cup no matter how well we do in this tournament.

Interesting to see if another English multi-lingual manager of clubs in more than one country manager is developed in that time.

If not, Mourinho might be looking for a short term role at that time ;)
  • Options
    Coleman surely! International management experience and knows how to build a great team spirit.
  • Options
    Woy has his qualities and he has built a string side. Unfortunately he is a bit too cautious, but you can't have everything. If we fail though, his leadership can only be classed as a disaster. Hopefully that won't happen. I'd give the job to Pardew to be honest, and hope it cocks Palace up a bit!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pardew as England manager would at least destroy his career.

He will be practising back flips and try one after we score fiesta against albania, he would break his wrist and then England would go on to lose by 3 goals.
  • Options

Ross_cafc said:

For me, the style of football under Roy (and many predecessors) just isn't really up to the standard if we're serious about pushing on and eventually being contenders. Maybe the players aren't up to it as a collective, who knows without seeing more than we get to see as fans. Tactically, the approach just seem very basic to me. Easy for me to say, I know!

Compare our shambles of a defence against a poor Russia side to Conte's Italy against Belgium tonight. Conte took over after Italy failed to get out of England's group at the world cup. I don't know how Hodgson survived that or didn't just quit and admit he's not good enough. That's the difference.
    completely agree, defending was poor, the goal was inexcusable tactically.

Also, if you look at Germany yesterday (I only saw the first half) - their movement was a different class to anything I've seen from England for years. Whenever the ball was 25/30 yards out, there were always 2/3/4 off the ball runs dragging the Ukrainian defence/midfield all over the place. As soon as that option wasn't used, different runs were made within seconds. Support to the ball carrier was also a lot more dynamic and progressive. England, to me, are too pedestrian and predictable.

• Options
    Two years too late to replace him. Euros should just be preparation for the World Cup.
  • Options

Pardew as England manager would at least destroy his career.

He will be practising back flips and try one after we score fiesta against albania, he would break his wrist and then England would go on to lose by 3 goals.

Imagine Pardew doing his celebratory dance in front of the Russian fans on Saturday after England scored, and the reaction from them!
  • Options
    I think he was appointed 10 years too late

All the prozone stuff and 1% things we all rabbit about now we're done by Allardyce first. He's a very knowledge man and for pure snobbery the press and armchair mob love to laugh at him. How many clubs has he fucked though?

I'd keep Hodgson personally but would snap Sam Allardyce up if he (Roy) decided he'd had enough of the press
  • Options
    Carter said:

I think he was appointed 10 years too late

All the prozone stuff and 1% things we all rabbit about now we're done by Allardyce first. He's a very knowledge man and for pure snobbery the press and armchair mob love to laugh at him. How many clubs has he fucked though?

I'd keep Hodgson personally but would snap Sam Allardyce up if he (Roy) decided he'd had enough of the press

I think you've touched on a good point there, especially about Roy's attitude to the press.

I've always felt a bit sorry for Roy; he's in one of the most high profile jobs in England football but he hasn't really got the charisma or attitude that the press want.

He'll never be a Mourinho who can play the press and make things exciting for them, but he does seem like a nice guy and one who has actually done a decent job trying to get some structure in the team.
  • Options
    The press in this regard are w@nkers and really serve no beneficial purpose other than over hyping and or making everyone feel like a twat with more then necessary piss taking.

Well done on your job.
  • Options

Woy has his qualities and he has built a string side. Unfortunately he is a bit too cautious, but you can't have everything. If we fail though, his leadership can only be classed as a disaster. Hopefully that won't happen. I'd give the job to Pardew to be honest, and hope it cocks Palace up a bit!

I think he's already started his regular downward slide at Palace. He does the same everywhere he's been, good start, improvement for a while, followed by a slump.

Not the best timing for England as after walking the qualifiers the slump would commence just before the start of the 2018 World Cup.
  • Options
    Sam Allardyce should've been appointed as the England manager instead of Steve McClaren back in 2006. I just finished reading his autobiography and he makes it very clear that he absolutely wanted and always wants the England job. The book is worth a read. He gives a lot of insight into the game and how he deals with players, chairmen, and the press. He does come across arrogant at times but overall I think he's a very good, experienced manager. He's confident and his man-management skills are truly impressive. As for the playing style of his teams, he mentions quite a few times in his book that if an Allardyce team plays long ball it's a long ball and if it's ManU or Chelsea it's a long pass. I think he's got a point.

Eddie Howe, much as I'd like to see him have a successful career, I don't think he's done anything (yet) to prove he can manage top players and the extreme pressure the England job brings.

Pochettino, currently one of my favourite managers in the Premier League. But I can't see it happening.

How about Mark Hughes? I know he's not English but he's done a great job at Stoke City. Is there a rivalry between Wales and you?
  • Options
    Arsene Wenger is a dark horse for the England job.

Clearly coming to the end of the road at Arsenal, and I think it is fair to say that international management is much better suited to an older man, who doesn't wish to be out on the training pitch all of the time.

Eddie Howe needs to manage a bigger club than Bournemouth, before he can be considered for England!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Wenger would be interesting. He fits the bill of having a clear philosophy and he's certainly stubborn enough to not care who the media tells him to pick. Trusts his players to attack too.
  • Options

Ross_cafc said:

With a lot of players past their sell by date and few alternatives available, the 2014 WC was never going to be our tournament.

Unfortunately, a big cheque book can't help you to get success at international level, which, in some ways, makes it more interesting. Roy has done well with what he has. The Euro qualification couldn't have been better for starters.

Let's hope we at least achieve moderate success from this inexperienced side, the press behaves for a change and Roy stays on.
  • Options
    Has friends in high places as well (David Dein etc).
  • Options
    Big Sam would be interesting
  • Options
    I was joking about Pardew. Wenger would be a great call IMO.
  • Options
    Ross_cafc said:

Ross_cafc said:

completely agree, defending was poor, the goal was inexcusable tactically.

Also, if you look at Germany yesterday (I only saw the first half) - their movement was a different class to anything I've seen from England for years. Whenever the ball was 25/30 yards out, there were always 2/3/4 off the ball runs dragging the Ukrainian defence/midfield all over the place. As soon as that option wasn't used, different runs were made within seconds. Support to the ball carrier was also a lot more dynamic and progressive. England, to me, are too pedestrian and predictable.

if you saw that half you'd also have seen them regularly ceding possession to ukraine in the last 20 minutes of the half, falling completely out of shape and looking at times like a total rabble
  • Options

Sam Allardyce should've been appointed as the England manager instead of Steve McClaren back in 2006. I just finished reading his autobiography and he makes it very clear that he absolutely wanted and always wants the England job. The book is worth a read. He gives a lot of insight into the game and how he deals with players, chairmen, and the press. He does come across arrogant at times but overall I think he's a very good, experienced manager. He's confident and his man-management skills are truly impressive. As for the playing style of his teams, he mentions quite a few times in his book that if an Allardyce team plays long ball it's a long ball and if it's ManU or Chelsea it's a long pass. I think he's got a point.

Eddie Howe, much as I'd like to see him have a successful career, I don't think he's done anything (yet) to prove he can manage top players and the extreme pressure the England job brings.

Pochettino, currently one of my favourite managers in the Premier League. But I can't see it happening.

How about Mark Hughes? I know he's not English but he's done a great job at Stoke City. Is there a rivalry between Wales and you?

For me Wales v England is like Charlton v Gillingham this season... Not really a rivalry there but one is created when the two play each other, when the two don't play each other there isnt really any love lost yet the two dont care about each other.

Ireland v England is the equivalent of Charlton v Palace (i.e. not in Great Britain yet hate us, not in London yet hate us)
    Scotland v England is the equivalent of Charlton v Millwall (i.e. two local sides with a strong historical rivalry)
  • Options
    Wenger all day long, knows the English game inside out and plays attractive, attacking football.
  • Options

For me Wales v England is like Charlton v Gillingham this season... Not really a rivalry there but one is created when the two play each other, when the two don't play each other there isnt really any love lost yet the two dont care about each other.

Ireland v England is the equivalent of Charlton v Palace (i.e. not in Great Britain yet hate us, not in London yet hate us)
    Scotland v England is the equivalent of Charlton v Millwall (i.e. two local sides with a strong historical rivalry)
    Ha, thanks. But I always thought Palace were in London?
  • Options

Ha, thanks. But I always thought Palace were in London?
    :open_mouth: They're in Surrey!!... Go wash your mouth out ;)