Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we being Americanised?

I cant help but notice that a heck of a lot of advertising 'requires' American actors - EE,Direct Line,Hotels.com being 3 current examples.
This, along with the influx of Americans and American themes with Top Gear as another example, just shows how much American influence is being exerted in the media nowadays.
To me, looking at humour as an example, i really dont 'get' US humour - it just doesnt make me laugh (Simpsons aside) and i deliberately swerve away from anything American in that respect.
Why do we need to import all this yank rubbish?

Comments

• Options
    I was wondering today with the referendum debate whether we were heading for a deeply divided country like the US with its "culture wars". I do hope not
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

*Americanized

Is that with a zee ?
  • Options
    It's because the big bucks are not as available in the US film industry anymore (give or take some of the franchises of course). These stars are now picking up some good money overseas, it ain't just us.
  • Options

Bizarrely, a lot of British actors are invading US media as well. A lot more Brits in Hollywood than 10-20 years ago.

I think it's more a symptom of globalisation, rather than something limited to just the UK.

Which is another reason as to why we should need to bring in all this US crap.
  • Options
    Yep, sky sports news trying their hardest, don't get me wrong I like goals express but it reeks of America to me, even ramming MLS and the super bowl down our throats, not for me thanks. Although I've just got back from Vegas/Miami and they're a friendly bunch the septics!
  • Options

Bloody Americans. Coming over here and taking our jobs.

One positive is that it stops some gobshite from TOWIE or Geordie Shore getting the gig

Wot, someone from TOWIE getting on Top Gear ??!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sometimes actors appear in overseas adverts and make sure those ads don't screen in their home territory. I know that it was written into Jennifer Aniston's contract when she appeared in an ad two years ago that the ad would be geo-blocked and effectively banned from online

Kevin Bacon in particular is said to be doing Ads because of how much he - and many of his chums whom he advised to join him - lost in the Bernie Madoff scandal.
  • Options
    While on the subject of Americans I was reading an article about the excessive noise over Windsor Castle made by overhead aeroplanes. Apparently a visiting American dignitary asked Prince Phillip in all seriousness why it was built so close to Heathrow.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Sometimes actors appear in overseas adverts and make sure those ads don't screen in their home territory. I know that it was written into Jennifer Aniston's contract when she appeared in an ad two years ago that the ad would be geo-blocked and effectively banned from online

Kevin Bacon in particular is said to be doing Ads because of how much he - and many of his chums whom he advised to join him - lost in the Bernie Madoff scandal.

Doesnt mean that 'we' have to employ him - after all, he is shit.
  • Options
    We were americanised in 1975 when they opened a MacDonalds in Woolwich
  • Options
    Its funny most of the ads over here have British accents especially the GEICO ads
  • Options
    Well it's better then being charltonised.

I don't believe in all that stuff.

No one forces anyone to what garbage TV and eat garbage food.

If I go home and my dads wearing a cowboy hat with a buckle and revolver in his pocket, I'd ask a few questions.

Hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    Oh, and while I'm at it, pissed in this country means drunk, not angry.
  • Options

While on the subject of Americans I was reading an article about the excessive noise over Windsor Castle made by overhead aeroplanes. Apparently a visiting American dignitary asked Prince Phillip in all seriousness why it was built so close to Heathrow.

If you believe that then I've got a bridge to sell you.
  • Options
    Weaning myself off 'so' and 'can I get' which I started to find irritating. And now starting all emails with 'hi' or sentences with Yeah.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Weaning myself off 'so' and 'can I get' which I started to find irritating. And now starting all emails with 'hi' or sentences with Yeah.

Could start being all Aussie, and begin with 'look'.
  • Options

Its funny most of the ads over here have British accents especially the GEICO ads

Yeah. The GEICO gecko is actually voiced by the bloke who plays Max Branning in EastEnders.
  • Options
    No way dude.
  • Options
    I have no idea what GEICO is. Is it something to do with Fridges ?
  • Options

Bloody Americans. Coming over here and taking our jobs.

One positive is that it stops some gobshite from TOWIE or Geordie Shore getting the gig

Not forgetting the 'first against the wall...' fodder from Made in Chelsea. Humane killing's too good for them.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I have no idea what GEICO is. Is it something to do with Fridges ?

Government Employees Insurance Company.

The second largest (which makes it very big indeed) motor insurer in the USA.
    A wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway. Primarily the famous Warren Buffet's investment vehicle. But shares are available - current price $212,630 EACH. (Up $1430 today.)
    The gecko is cute. Check his best ads on YouTube. (Although it's a bit odd that he uses slang which would be unfamiliar to most of his audience.)
  • Options

People saying "can I get..." Instead of "can I please have...."

And now the new one, starting a sentence with 'so'.

Gets on my tits.

People asking 'can I please have...' instead of 'May I please have...'.

Gets right on my tits.
    You say tamato, I say tomato...

• Options
    Atleast we still have sporting contests ending in 0-0...