Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we being Americanised?

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Off_it said:

And what's with all the coffee shops everywhere?

What s wrong with blokes meeting in pubs and women meeting in, I dunno, shoe shops or somewhere.

The coffee shops are more American than European. I cringe when I see people here sitting behind a "bucket" of hot milk & coffee with all sorts of shite in it and on top of it. Some of the large cups/mugs in Starbucks have two handles to carry them.

Nothing wrong with a drop of hot milk with your coffee. But agree, in huge buckets, with all sorts of syrups and squirty shit in it, that's a no no to any coffee connoisseur
    Milky drinks are for breakfast, and kiddy-winks. Espresso only after 11:00am. (You can have an Americano if you are feeling a little feeble.)
    Otherwise you might just as well have a strawberry Nesquik.
    Double ristretto with an equal amount of warm milk, anytime of the day. Give that to your kids and they'll be bouncing off the walls.
    Or a cortado for a slightly longer drink. As I say, nothing wrong with a SMALL amount of warm milk with your coffee. Takes the acidity out of it and gives a true reflection of the flavour.

• Options
    I am training to be a secondary school chemistry teacher and students now know sulphur as sulfur. Thankfully it remains aluminium and not aluminum.
  • Options
    Sounds fair to me.
  • Options

Sounds fair to me.

Just don't start saying "Comfortable win, 4 zero"
  • Options

I cant help but notice that a heck of a lot of advertising 'requires' American actors - EE,Direct Line,Hotels.com being 3 current examples.
    This, along with the influx of Americans and American themes with Top Gear as another example, just shows how much American influence is being exerted in the media nowadays.
    To me, looking at humour as an example, i really dont 'get' US humour - it just doesnt make me laugh (Simpsons aside) and i deliberately swerve away from anything American in that respect.
    Why do we need to import all this yank rubbish?

HIMYM is brilliant too. Big Bang theory fairly decent and two and half men pretty good too. Those aside I agree. Oh and family guy is class.
  • Options
    Vote out
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited June 2016
    All the sports channels over here referred to Messi's goal vs. the US in Copa America as from a 'penalty kick'. They said this as the clip was being shown. Cringe worthy.
  • Options
    Rob said:

All the sports channels over here referred to Messi's goal vs. the US in Copa America as from a 'penalty kick'. They said this as the clip was being shown. Cringe worthy.

Was it a free kick?

Haven't seen it
  • Options
    Gee, do i take it you guys are against being the 51st state of The US of A ?
    Maybe savage but No fam with Euro dudes then.
    shooting in the breeze time, you Brits will be Monday morning Quarter backing come 6/24.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016
    "out back", no "out THE back"!
  • Options
    Haha @KHA seen that before and always love reading / laughing at it.

Love No.12
  • Options
    I noticed when I was in the US how little they used the word "please". In a Subway (other fast food outlets are available) people would say things like " Can I get a 6-inch with chicken and salad, hold the mayo?". I found it very difficult to train myself not to say "please" when it came to my turn (in an effort to fit in), indeed I found myself saying it more!
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I noticed when I was in the US how little they used the word "please". In a Subway (other fast food outlets are available) people would say things like " Can I get a 6-inch with chicken and salad, hold the mayo?". I found it very difficult to train myself not to say "please" when it came to my turn (in an effort to fit in), indeed I found myself saying it more!

Also noticed when you say "thank you" Americans tend to reply "sure"... which kind of seems rude to me, like it's dismissing your thanks? I don't know... It's obviously meant the same as "you're welcome" but it used to rattle me.

Pfff... when does the season start again?
  • Options
    It's a ridiculous thing to say we are being "Americanised".

And here's a picture of my hat to prove it.......

• Options
    Nice kitchen worktop - granite?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Thank you. No it's not granite. It's a product called Silestone, which I believe is Spanish. It's a compound which is 94% quartz. It's supposed to be more durable than granite or marble. I'm guessing this claim can be made primarily because granite and marble are porous and require regular re-sealing to prevent staining and bacterial growth whereas quartz is an impervious substance . Silestone is "fit and forget". It also claims to have an anti-bacterial property.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Saga Lout said:

Thank you. No it's not granite. It's a product called Silestone, which I believe is Spanish. It's a compound which is 94% quartz. It's supposed to be more durable than granite or marble. I'm guessing this claim can be made primarily because granite and marble are porous and require regular re-sealing to prevent staining and bacterial growth whereas quartz is an impervious substance . Silestone is "fit and forget". It also claims to have an anti-bacterial property.
    You'll be telling us you can eat your dinner off it next.....
  • Options

Rob said:

Was it a free kick?

Haven't seen it
    yep. About 15 yards outside the box.

• Options
    Went to garden centre last week to buy spare for Hozelock Watering system. The (English) Assistant had never heard of the brand and when he found it on his computer asked me 'has it got a zee'? I was tempted to reply 'what's a zee'?, but instead answered - ' no with a z'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Went to garden centre last week to buy spare for Hozelock Watering system. The (English) Assistant had never heard of the brand and when he found it on his computer asked me 'has it got a zee'? I was tempted to reply 'what's a zee'?, but instead answered - ' no with a z'.

It's people like you who make those who work in retail's lives just lovely. ;)
  • Options
    Beneath the old iron bridges, across the victorian parks,
    & all the frightened people running home before dark,
    Past the Saturday morning cinema
    that lies crumbling to the ground,
    & the piss stinking shopping centre in the new side of town.
    I've come to smell the seasons change, & watch the city,
    as the sun goes down again.

Here comes another winter, of long shadows & high hopes,
    Here comes another winter, waitin for utopia,
    waitin for hell to freeze over.

This is the land, where nothing changes,
    the land of red buses & blue blooded babies,
    This is the place, where pensioners are raped,
    & the hearts are being cut, from the welfare state,
    Let the poor drink the milk, while the rich eat the honey,
    Let the bums count their blessings, while they count the money.

So many people, can't express what's on their minds,
    Nobody knows them & nobody ever will,
    Until their backs are broken & their dreams are stolen,
    & they can't get what they want, then they're gonna get angry!
    Well it ain't written in the papers, but its written on the walls
    The way this country is divided to fall,
    So the cranes are moving on the skyline--
    Trying to knock down--this town
    But the stains on the heartland, can never be removed,
    from this country, that's sick, sad, and confused.

Here comes another winter, of long shadows & high hopes,
    Here comes another winter, waitin for utopia,
    waitin for hell to freeze over.

The ammunition's being passed, and the lords been praised,
    But the wars on the televisions will never be explained,
    All the bankers gettin sweaty, beneath their white collars,
    As the pound in our pocket, turns into a dollar.

This is the 51st state of the U. S. A.
  • Options
    When morons say 'I could care less' I'm left wanting to smash their face in.

• Options
    Trick or Treat, Sneakers, Snickers, prom night, semester... FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Trick or Treat, Sneakers, Snickers, prom night, semester... FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!!

Try living over here, the place is crawling with 'em.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead.....
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

SDAddick said:

Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead.....
    I blame Sesame Street
  • Options
    5 years of living in the states and its starting to take hold.

Earlier today I pronounced the word 'Status' Stat-us rather than state-us.

I'm sorry.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    DanDavis said:

5 years of living in the states and its starting to take hold.

Earlier today I pronounced the word 'Status' Stat-us rather than state-us.

I'm sorry.

Wail 'til you've been here forty years, hope's all gone.
  • Options
    What state has the country gotten to?