Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we being Americanised?

Comments

• Options
    And what's with all the coffee shops everywhere?

What s wrong with blokes meeting in pubs and women meeting in, I dunno, shoe shops or somewhere.
  • Options

I have no idea what GEICO is. Is it something to do with Fridges ?

I think it's a dub version of the old Ottowan track, "She is G E I C O, she is G E I C O..."
  • Options

People saying "can I get..." Instead of "can I please have...."

And now the new one, starting a sentence with 'so'.

Gets on my tits.

People asking 'can I please have...' instead of 'May I please have...'.

Gets right on my tits.
    You say tamato, I say tomato...

I don't say either, I hate the things.
  • Options

While on the subject of Americans I was reading an article about the excessive noise over Windsor Castle made by overhead aeroplanes. Apparently a visiting American dignitary asked Prince Phillip in all seriousness why it was built so close to Heathrow.

Had to be Obama.....
  • Options
    limeygent said:

While on the subject of Americans I was reading an article about the excessive noise over Windsor Castle made by overhead aeroplanes. Apparently a visiting American dignitary asked Prince Phillip in all seriousness why it was built so close to Heathrow.

Had to be Obama.....
    Oh sorry, you did say dignitary.....
  • Options
    No. We're being Islamised.
  • Options

Like he gives a shit!
  • Options
    With the OPs example of adverts. Many famous US actors do advertising abroad as generally people back in their homeland are unlikely to see it. I know people such as Di Caprio have done TV adverts out in Asia. It's no different really.

As for not finding American comedies funny. Well it's all personal preference but they produce a wide variety of comedy shows and comedians that if you don't find at least some part of it amusing then I personally would question someones sense of humour.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

What s wrong with blokes meeting in pubs and women meeting in, I dunno, shoe shops or somewhere.

The coffee shops are more American than European. I cringe when I see people here sitting behind a "bucket" of hot milk & coffee with all sorts of shite in it and on top of it. Some of the large cups/mugs in Starbucks have two handles to carry them.

• Options
    Not by Cory Gibbs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    been happening since the Boston tea party .. the UK is far more closely tied in most ways to the USA than to Europe
  • Options
    I think the US actors we're seeing in our ads at the moment are probably desperate for work and cheap.
  • Options

The country is getting noticeably fatter yes.

That's a mirror, not a country
    You're right. The one on your mum's ceiling. ;-)
    haha, prick! :wink:
  • Options

Gets on my tits.

I know, right? It's like, OMG, what is wrong with you people?

• Options
    Jints said:

Gets on my tits.

I know, right? It's like, OMG, what is wrong with you people?

A Millwall fan correcting grammar. End times people.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Bizarrely, a lot of British actors are invading US media as well. A lot more Brits in Hollywood than 10-20 years ago.

I think it's more a symptom of globalisation, rather than something limited to just the UK.

Which is another reason as to why we should need to bring in all this US crap.
    Look mate, you don't need to hint around it, you can just call me by name.

Netflix is currently awash with some fantastic British shows that they've collaborated on or are promoting in the States. Just started watching "The Missing" on Amazon Prime and it's gripping. Armando Iannucci has an incredibly successful, critically acclaimed show in "Veep," an Americanized version of The Thick of It that doesn't lose that fast, clever dry wit. I feel like these things tend to go in waves, and it seems right now that we're going through a pretty heavy period of exchange.

For all of the American crap you get, there is some fantastic American television, Veep as mentioned previously, first series of "True Detective," Game of Thrones (which is American produced but very international, and lots of other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Oh, and we've taken John Oliver as a national treasure since you lot couldn't find a fucking thing for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best current American show is probably Unreal, but I'm probably the only one who thinks this. I don't really like television tbh
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SDAddick said:

Bizarrely, a lot of British actors are invading US media as well. A lot more Brits in Hollywood than 10-20 years ago.

I think it's more a symptom of globalisation, rather than something limited to just the UK.

Netflix is currently awash with some fantastic British shows that they've collaborated on or are promoting in the States. Just started watching "The Missing" on Amazon Prime and it's gripping. Armando Iannucci has an incredibly successful, critically acclaimed show in "Veep," an Americanized version of The Thick of It that doesn't lose that fast, clever dry wit. I feel like these things tend to go in waves, and it seems right now that we're going through a pretty heavy period of exchange.

For all of the American crap you get, there is some fantastic American television, Veep as mentioned previously, first series of "True Detective," Game of Thrones (which is American produced but very international, and lots of other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Oh, and we've taken John Oliver as a national treasure since you lot couldn't find a fucking thing for him.
    Thanks for the balance SD- i knew you'd chip in !

Tell you what , if we give you back Matt LeBlanc, Kevin Bacon and Harvey Keitel (who i like) - then can we have John Oliver back then please (whoever he is !)
  • Options
    You guys ..........
  • Options

Off_it said:

The coffee shops are more American than European. I cringe when I see people here sitting behind a "bucket" of hot milk & coffee with all sorts of shite in it and on top of it. Some of the large cups/mugs in Starbucks have two handles to carry them.

Nothing wrong with a drop of hot milk with your coffee. But agree, in huge buckets, with all sorts of syrups and squirty shit in it, that's a no no to any coffee connoisseur
  • Options
    It's probably been said on here already, but the increasing use of the word "gotten" never feels right in this country.

Fine in the US, but not here.
  • Options
    It's definitely been said on here already, but "gotten" is a wonderful old English word that is all the better for its reinstatement in this country.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Tell you what , if we give you back Matt LeBlanc, Kevin Bacon and Harvey Keitel (who i like) - then can we have John Oliver back then please (whoever he is !)
    No, fuck off, keep them.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

I don't think we can afford John Oliver anymore - he is bloody brilliant though.

I'm in a bar in New England watching a baseball game - that's something that will never, ever catch on in England btw - and an advertisement just came on featuring James Corden (and I don't think it was for his show, for a theme park or something). So it runs both ways, we get Kevin Bacon and they get Smithy.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Nothing wrong with a drop of hot milk with your coffee. But agree, in huge buckets, with all sorts of syrups and squirty shit in it, that's a no no to any coffee connoisseur
    Milky drinks are for breakfast, and kiddy-winks. Espresso only after 11:00am. (You can have an Americano if you are feeling a little feeble.)
    Otherwise you might just as well have a strawberry Nesquik.
  • Options
    Coffee is disgusting. You're all welcomed to it.