Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Battle of Somme 1 July 1916 - 18 November 1916 'Lest We Forget'

Comments

• Options
    Imperial War Museum Manchester late last night
  • Options

Theipval

I remember the day I approached that, aged 14. There was a real sense of emotion flowing from all those in my tour group.

I still have the old big gun shell that I bought from a farmer at home somewhere.

• Options
    Watching the BBC coverage, some incredibly moving stories.

Lest we forget.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/01/the-battle-of-the-somme-as-it-happened-on-july-1-1916/

It's an interesting way of portraying the battle and hopefully keeping younger generations interested throughout the day. There are lots of excerpts from personal accounts scattered throughout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jdredsox said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/01/the-battle-of-the-somme-as-it-happened-on-july-1-1916/

It's an interesting way of portraying the battle and hopefully keeping younger generations interested throughout the day. There are lots of excerpts from personal accounts scattered throughout.

Ive spent all morning reading this. Its absolutely harrowing
  • Options
    Some very moving stories. Lest we forget
  • Options
    Hard to comprehend what they went through and how young some of them were.
  • Options
    I did the tour of the Somme some years ago, and it was very humbling and emotional. God bless all those who took part, may they all rest in peace. They deserve to.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jdredsox said:

Cheers for the link... What the hell with the most recent one...

A brigadier orders his colonel to be at a row of apple trees in the village by 4 o’ clock.

When told this is unlikely, he simply says: “Those are the orders.”
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Davo55 said:

My grandad, Walter Gordon Davis, volunteered in 1915 aged 25 and with three young kids. He joined the Royal West Kent regiment. He was shot through the shoulder at Festubert in January 1916 but patched up and back in the ranks a few weeks later.

On 3 July he was seriously wounded during the attack on German positions around the town of Ovillers on the Somme. Fortunately, he survived.

I have been privileged to see the specific field where this happened, with the German forward trench position clearly identifiable. Just next to that field is a war cemetery. My eyes moved from the field to the cemetery around me and all the gravestones were of soldiers of the Royal West Kents, most in their late teens or early 20s who died in that same attack. My grandad's mates.

Just heartbreaking.

My grandad was demobbed in 1919 and returned home - to Floyd Road SE7. The first of 5 generations of Addicks. He died in 1969 aged 79 having had 10 kids, including my dad.

God bless grandad. God bless dad. God bless all those lost and wounded on the Somme.

Re: Walter Gordon Davis
    Again, you may already know this info but I have found a copy of both his joining up 'Attestation' at Woolwich dated 14 June 1915 (address Siemens Road Woolwich) and again his disability pension (as a result of gun shot wound to left thigh) award dated 1919 (address 55 Floyd Road). Hopefully this is the right Walter Davis. His service number was 179189. These are copies of the original documents and the signing up one bears his signature.

Would you like me to post them on here?
  • Options

Davo55 said:

My grandad, Walter Gordon Davis, volunteered in 1915 aged 25 and with three young kids. He joined the Royal West Kent regiment. He was shot through the shoulder at Festubert in January 1916 but patched up and back in the ranks a few weeks later.

On 3 July he was seriously wounded during the attack on German positions around the town of Ovillers on the Somme. Fortunately, he survived.

I have been privileged to see the specific field where this happened, with the German forward trench position clearly identifiable. Just next to that field is a war cemetery. My eyes moved from the field to the cemetery around me and all the gravestones were of soldiers of the Royal West Kents, most in their late teens or early 20s who died in that same attack. My grandad's mates.

Just heartbreaking.

My grandad was demobbed in 1919 and returned home - to Floyd Road SE7. The first of 5 generations of Addicks. He died in 1969 aged 79 having had 10 kids, including my dad.

God bless grandad. God bless dad. God bless all those lost and wounded on the Somme.

Re: Walter Gordon Davis
    Again, you may already know this info but I have found a copy of both his joining up 'Attestation' at Woolwich dated 14 June 1915 (address Siemens Road Woolwich) and again his disability pension (as a result of gun shot wound to left thigh) award dated 1919 (address 55 Floyd Road). Hopefully this is the right Walter Davis. His service number was 179189. These are copies of the original documents and the signing up one bears his signature.

Would you like me to post them on here?
    Thanks very much for the offer @cherryorchard. That is the right person but I already have copies of all his service record - courtesy of some pretty intensive research about 3 years ago.
  • Options
    I'm watching the BBC 2 coverage of the centenary of the battle of the Somme. I have watched it for 10 minutes.

I've got to say it makes me very very angry.

There is no discussion around how the trenching occurred, who's decision it was to order this. Why?

And also whoever decided this was disgusting.

Yes yes it's fine to have the poor people die. Ok.

For gods sake.

• Options
    Charles Dance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel sick. Nothing has been learnt from this.

• Options
    I can cross the sleepless green
    I can take the true chalice
    I will support my country
    And I have been given a dream

And my direction is a clear
    To do what's good for my country
    I do what I am told
    It's right because I'm told

And then my friends
    The same as me
    Recruited as I was
    We die, we're maimed
    For what for what
    Because that's what we're told.
  • Options
    Good post SE7toSG3.

I and a fellow Charlton supporter walked that sector of the battlefield just over a week ago. I hope the ground had dried up for you. When we were there, many of the paths on the Redan Ridge were flooded and Railway Hollow Cemetery was under about a foot of water. I worked out that we walked about ten miles that day which would normally be a breeze for me but the mud and the effort needed to keep one's balance in the conditions left both of us exhausted.

• Options

I'm watching the BBC 2 coverage of the centenary of the battle of the Somme. I have watched it for 10 minutes.

I've got to say it makes me very very angry.

There is no discussion around how the trenching occurred, who's decision it was to order this. Why?

And also whoever decided this was disgusting.

Yes yes it's fine to have the poor people die. Ok.

For gods sake.

What are you actually on about?
  • Options
    If you are one end of a field and the enemy are the other end of the field and both sides are shooting at one and other I think you would dig a fuckin trench order or not
  • Options
    Fair enough, I think I was both very drunk when I wrote that and also overwhelmed by the loss of life being explained.

The loss of life seemed to me to be very high.

I am not a Somme historian and my impression may be wrong.

It seemed to me that those who were in the ruling classes and in senior forces positions at that time had little regard for life, which I find disgusting.

• Options
    Thanks CherryOrchard I have the medal cards and a copy of when he was mentioned in dispatches signed by Winston Churchill, did a lot of research a few years ago.

I never met him he died before I was born.