Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Battle of Somme 1 July 1916 - 18 November 1916 'Lest We Forget'

124»

Comments

• Options
    In France in a couple of weeks time, going to do the DDay beaches & visit the new memorial + the Pegasus Bridge site, all just outside Caen
    We were supposed to be in Normandy at the end of July and had planned to visit the beaches and Pegasus bridge. Last went there in 2007 and my wife, who's got no real interest and only came along because she knew I wanted to, read the inscription on the bust of Major John Howard and burst into floods of tears.

My daughter's got a real interest in both WW1 & 2 and was looking forward to visiting the sites. Thankfully, we've transferred the holiday to next year. 
  • Options
    France D Day - Pegasus Bridge - Clydeside Imagescouk
  • Options
    Through my family tree I discovered a distant relative had been killed in the First World War.  He was John Oram Bardrick of the Kings Royal Rifle Brigade,  killed at the Battle of Cambrai 30.11.17. I was involved with voluntary admin for Wartime Memories Project which looks to ensure all are remembered. I saw John was not there and felt sad no one was remembering him so I made sure his name was added. I now make sure he is remembered every November with a British Legion cross at Westminster Field of Remembrance. He was a good old London boy so who knows he might have spent some time cheering on the Addicks. 
    Lest we forget. 
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    AndyG said:
    My Great-Great Uncle was killed @ Gommecourt on the 1st day (hadnt been in France for long), his body was never found.

My Great-Grandfathers all served on the Western Front, yet always presumed that any of their Brothers were either too young or came home too - Was only a few years ago that I found out about this one Uncle of my Nan's who didnt. 

Ever since have tried to potentially find out what happened to him / his company to almost put together some kind of semblance as to what happened, of course have always had a good understanding of the horror of WW1 so have presumed that had he been unlucky enough, there wouldnt have been a body to be found.

When you talk to your kids and explain why you named them so... Well this relative who laid down his life will be that reason, and will be making sure that my Son knows that when he's old enough,
    Thats mental mate. That is where my Grandad was blown up, and on the same day !! the only thing he ever said to me about it was he thought it was fate as the place was called Gommecourt and our family name is Gomm. Unfortunately he died when I was 11 so I never got the chance to try and find out more of his experiences
    Absolutely crazy mate... Do you know what Regiment he was in?

My relative was in the 1/5 London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade) - 'C' Company if I remember rightly
    Hi I know the story or the LRB very well on that day, 'C' Coy suffered 178 casualties (out of 250) and were at the very centre of the battalion attack.

The real tragedy is that far from them being mown down by machine guns as they walked across no-man-land, (an oft trotted myth based on events in other parts of the line), C and D Coys were in position on their objectives by 0820, a timed message from Captain Somers-Smith says as much.

They had crossed no-mans-land and were fighting hand to hand with a large number of Germans in Gommecourr Park. It was the reserves that were sent to assist that got caught in No-mans-land by a German counter barrage effectively cutting the 1/5 Londons off from resupply and reinforcement. 

C Coy were still on the offensive at 1321 in and around Fen and Ferret Trench, around 100 of them were seen manning Fen and Ferret and laying against the parapet at 1505 from Coy HQ. 

I have a detailed account from Lance Cpl J Foaden who mentions how the fog enabled them to cross NML quickly and reach the German front line.

Due to hostile snipers they spent considerable time consolidating their newly won positions but found the going very difficult due to continual landslides. 

They fought on until dusk under the command of Captain Harvey, Lewis gunners and company bombers proving most useful. 

They eventually ran out of ammunition and by 1900 were surrounded on three sides so were forced to withdraw to their startline. A high number of the battalions  casualties tool place coming back as opposed to going over. 

I knew a number of veterans in the 56th Division, (none on the 1/5 London Rifle Brigade), all of who agreed how well prepared and trained they were for the 1st July. The felt the battle started well but when the Division on their left, the 46th (North Midland) Division, failed to get into the German trenches (they suffered horrifically that day and were not best prepared for the task in hand), the whole German defence turned of the 56th London Division. The lads held on as long as they could but were eventually forced to retire and lost many men coming back. 

I have some good maps of the area and quite a few medals/letters/pics so hopefully when it's safe to do so, I can get you across there and show you the ground.

Importantly it may contextualise the losses (as in how, why and what the BEF did to avoid it happening again). 

I hope that's helpful, 

Clive 
    Clive, was this an offer just to @ForeverAddickted or open to others? I'd be up for a small group trip to walk The Somme. 
  • Options
    Some wonderful stories and facts on here.I have done the battlefields tour and also visited Aushwitz.You can see all the documentaries,read all the books,but until you visit these places,you can never really comprehend what went on.Visiting the Tyne cot cemetary  and many other smaller ones  (Also German graveyards)was probably the most humbling experience of my life,so many young men just slaughtered.
    I just feel that when all these lads were joining up,they had no idea what was going on,I think to them it was made to feel like an adventure and they would all be welcomed home very soon as heroes.
  • Options
    I don't know the details (there's no-one from the family alive to confirm it now) but my great grandfather was gassed during the war. He underwent surgery in a field hospital and survived the war. Years later he had to undergo surgey on his chest and the surgeon who perfomred it said that he couldn't believe the exceptionally high standard of the work the army surgeon had done, especially considering the circumstances it was performed under.
  • Options
    One of my relatives died in WW1, in Ypres and is named on the Menin gate. A great-great uncle lost a leg as well, horrific stuff. It's well worth having a trip to the battlefields though, if you can. My Dad is very interested in WW1, and was part of a group that used to uncover tunnels that were built under enemy trenches. They had some former army bomb disposal experts as part of the group to diffuse the bombs which were still underground!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    One of my relatives died in WW1, in Ypres and is named on the Menin gate. A great-great uncle lost a leg as well, horrific stuff. It's well worth having a trip to the battlefields though, if you can. My Dad is very interested in WW1, and was part of a group that used to uncover tunnels that were built under enemy trenches. They had some former army bomb disposal experts as part of the group to diffuse the bombs which were still underground!
    Still lots of ordanace left lying about in France. This was just on floor near a monument when we went over on the (excellent) CL battlefield tour a couple of years ago

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Still lots of ordanace left lying about in France. This was just on floor near a monument when we went over on the (excellent) CL battlefield tour a couple of years ago

We've got quite the collection. Dad bought home a shrapnel shell, got it home and took out an inch of mud and underneath was explosive and shrapnel balls! We've several of those, bullets, a roll of barb wire and some various bits and pieces