Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Long Distance Relationships

Comments

• Options
    I went through this 10 years ago, My then GF went to Brighton Uni so not to far away but it lasted 6 months after she left and that was probably 3 months to long.

We both changed after a few months after her going, she quite rightly wanted to enjoy Uni life and I felt that it was it was me making all the sacrifices to ensure we see each other and started missing my social life and weekends, we tried to not put so much pressure on seeing each other every weekend and it was then that I realised I was enjoying my weekends not seeing her a lot my than my weekends with her.

If I could give you any advice it would be to try and not think you have to spend every weekend free together and still ensure you do the things you like to do and get a balance that suits you both.

I think you will also have to accept she is going to be meeting loads of new people and now have a life your not really part off but you need to be supportive and happy for her and not make her feel guilty for enjoying the experience.

It did not work for me but I do think looking back even if she had not gone to uni we would of fizzed out anyway,

• Options

CAFCsayer said:

Think we need pictures to gauge the situation better

There you go mate...

This is Margot Robbie for anyone who didn't know and wanted to do some "research".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone who doesn't know Margot Robbie should watch Wolf of Wall Street... NOW... LIKE SERIOUSLY WHY ARE YOU STILL READING?

ah ok you're at work... Get on google when not at work... it's probably not safe to search the term 'margot robbie wolf of wall street' at work... Yet the term is so safe sounding... it's cruel isn't it.
  • Options
    Just take the American army stance of 'don't ask, don't tell'

Both get on with your lives and make most of time when you do meet up but don't put too much pressure on to meet up too regularly.
  • Options

Think there's a lot of good advice here but it's not all doom and gloom. You can make a success of it, it just takes more dedication than either of you will be used to.

If you both want to carry on together, you will find a way to do so. Be prepared for it to be hard but make time for each other. Have a flexible schedule: eg FaceTime every Wednesday, she visits home once a month, you go to Birmingham once a month.

My relationship went long distance two years ago after my girlfriend went home to Texas, following six months of time together while she studied here. It's not been easy but we make time for each other, and there's now light at the end of the long-distance tunnel: I should be moving out there for good in 6-9 months to be with her again.

Yeah, the bottom line is that everyone knows that relationships are a two-way thing and both sides need to make the effort. With long distance it's just about putting in that little bit more than you did before.

Because although it's sometimes easy to say sod it and give up on it all, you find so many reasons to keep going. :-)

Spot on.
  • Options

It's highly likely that my Girlfriend will get into Uni so in September or so she will be off to study in Birmingham.

Has anybody been part of/is part of a long distance relationship? What are your experiences? Is it possible?!

I suppose it isn't so bad as it's not like she will never be back at home... but still?!

My boy finished uni in Birmingham in June last year. He had a great time in a good city that gives you a great night out. She'll love it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I assume you live in North or South America or in the Asia Pacific region. Because Birmingham isn't a long distance. Sadly.

A wise man speaks because he has something to say, an idiot speaks because he has to say something...
  • Options
    Best of luck to you, it can be done, it just depends on what kind of teenagers you are. My girlfriend and I survived uni without issues, but I had my place for her to stay and she came more or less every weekend, and we are 3 and a half years in now. It can work, it just depends on the type of people you are. Funnily enough she was at Aston (Birmingham) and with a student railcard if you go at the right time you can get into Euston for £3.95... It needn't be too much of an issue, if you are willing to make the commitment.
  • Options

It's highly likely that my Girlfriend will get into Uni so in September or so she will be off to study in Birmingham.

Has anybody been part of/is part of a long distance relationship? What are your experiences? Is it possible?!

I suppose it isn't so bad as it's not like she will never be back at home... but still?!

My boy finished uni in Birmingham in June last year. He had a great time in a good city that gives you a great night out. She'll love it.
    Prob not what he wanted hear.
  • Options

Tell her you want to make a go of it and smash every female in SE London under age 25, just in case it doesn't work out.

I can imagine @DaveMehmet being ready to post something like this and being gutted that he was beaten to it... :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

I assume you live in North or South America or in the Asia Pacific region. Because Birmingham isn't a long distance. Sadly.

• Options

Tell her you want to make a go of it and smash every female in SE London under age 25, just in case it doesn't work out.

I can imagine @DaveMehmet being ready to post something like this and being gutted that he was beaten to it... :-)
    I can imagine hes booking his train to Birmingham mate
    Hahahahaha.
  • Options
    Unfortunately the problem with my failed marriage... long distance. I wanted it based on a 1950's model and she wanted something more relevant to the 21st century... bitch!
  • Options

That's what he's afraid of.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

se9addick said:

I had a long(ish) term girlfriend when I went to Uni. It didn't work out but that was mainly because we weren't prepared for one thing - people change (plus I was a dick, but let's not focus on that).

She's going to go through a major personal development phase, don't expect her to be exactly the same person that she is today in six months or a years time. I'm not saying she's going to become a completely different person but people grow, they have to and and there's a good chance you'll still love who she is, but be prepared for that so it doesn't shock you.

Oh, and whatever you do, definitely don't break up with her before Freshers week!

I took time off work every now and then to stay with the other half when she was at uni, usually if she asked me to or said she was missing me or family alot.

The laptop, ps3 and a few other bits came with me to pass time whilst she was in lectures etc, then as soon as her day was done I'd meet up with her and her friends (get on well with them and it improves chances of survival) we'd go out to dinner or drinking etc.

Remember she'll be dividing time between you, her family and uni. Make some of the time with her family and you mixed and it makes life easier.

Me and my other half are something of an anomoly these days having been together from a young age. As I said before it will be tough but if you're meant for each other you'll make it work.

Freshers week I was there at her request, I enjoyed it with her, so much booze, so many laughs and so many memories. I can guarantee that is where many are led astray.

If she's in halls as opposed to rented accommodation you may find it harder to visit her.

Listen to this guy, Dazzler is spot on about so many things.

I got through a relationship where I was at home and she was at Uni. Truth be told it wasn't as hard as I expected, in fact I think moving in together was more stressful.

If I can suggest one thing, meet up with her uni friends and win them over. I think I did that within 2 weeks, and by the end of the first semester I was getting Facebook messages asking me when I'm coming up and whether I wanted tickets to any events.

You mention working, that's probably going to help you too. I think I was working for the final year or two whilst she was at Uni, and that kept me busy, gave me a routine and ensured I was having a social life/shits-n-giggles too. It also gives you beer tokens for when you visit.

As for keeping in contact, we emailed like we were penpals but still rang nearly everyday - with constant texts. The emails began as a nice little surprise for her to wake up too occasionally, but then became two way. There's so many decent apps now that keeping in contact probably isn't worth to much worry.
  • Options
    On the plus side, it's going to be a lot easier to stay in touch now than say 10-15 years ago what with the likes of facetime, skype, snapchat and whatsapp about these days etc