Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2016

Comments

• Options
    RedPanda said:

I hope Mickelson wins. I also like Stenson but Phil won't get many more chances. I think he'll have the lead at some point then it will depend on whether he does something stupid.

SE8, go back to whatever sports you do like then, because golf clearly isn't one of them.

I have watched golf, on and off, for many years. Played a quite a bit too. Seen many charismatic big personalities light up tournaments. None bigger or better than Tiger. I long for the day when I can watch top golfers with personality and charisma again. Meanwhile I will feel free to make observations about the state of golf as I see it on threads/discussions like this whenever I please.

I wish people would stop telling others what they can and cannot post on here.
  • Options
    Tiger Woods a personality??? Charisma?

The bloke never smiled or looked like was enjoying himself. An exceptional talent but dull as dishwater.
  • Options
    The problem at the moment is every time a young guy wins sonething the media have him as the new Tiger. Like him or not (I think he's an arrogant twat) Tiger utterly dominated for a prolonged period, just like Nicklaus. They were head and shoulders the two best players of my lifetime. But they were exceptions. Others like Norman and Faldo were the best in the world for two or three years each which, in itself, is remarkable given the fact that at any one time the top fifty and more are capable of winning majors. But Tiger, for most of us under 60, is the best we've seen and he peaked at a time when equipment was allowing unforeseen distances to be struck and worldwide media was making golf accessible in ways never before seen. His media profile was utterly managed so that the image you saw was maximised brilliantly and commercially exploited to the full. But it wasn't real as events proved. Now young guys with charisma (Rory) and some with none (Spieth) or very little (Day) are hyped to the full after five minutes of fame and have brilliant seasons but fade before popping back up again. And new major champions pop up who are unlikely to win more than one or two (Willet, Bradley, McDowell etc). For my money, I prefer it when it's an open competition (sorry) when anyone can win and I enjoy the range of competitors on show. But I do understand where those who lament the Tiger's demise are coming from.
  • Options
    My bets were on Mickleson (4-1) and Stenson 30-1). Just cashed out on Stenson so hoping Phil goes on win and max my return. If not, cashing out was a £50 mistake!
  • Options
    I said Stenson at the start of the week but for God knows what reason i didn't put a bet on and I always have at least one, proper muppet. Would really like to see him win though.

I was out yesterday so missed most of it, Harmon was saying this morning that Mickleson managed to get himself round without striking it brilliantly.

Looking forward their duel this afternoon.
  • Options

Now young guys with charisma (Rory) and some with none (Spieth) or very little (Day) are hyped to the full after five minutes of fame and have brilliant seasons but fade before popping back up again. And new major champions pop up who are unlikely to win more than one or two (Willet, Bradley, McDowell etc). For my money, I prefer it when it's an open competition (sorry) when anyone can win and I enjoy the range of competitors on show. But I do understand where those who lament the Tiger's demise are coming from.

Spieth is alright. He's pretty cold on the course but shows his human side off it. After his Masters meltdown he went on Spring break with Thomas, Fowler and Kaufman http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/fowler-spieth-end-spring-break-2016-by-naming-kaufman-mvp/

Tiger was fun if you liked watching one of the best ever dominating. However, he was mercilessly shown on TV regardless of how he was playing. Like they'd show his parking spot when they could be showing a player hitting a shot.

Going forward I think golf is in good hands (discounting its governing bodies). Through the years we should have many Rory v Spieth battles (plus Day, DJ, Fowler etc) whilst we have the best group of British players we've had for a while.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    meldrew66 said:

My bets were on Mickleson (4-1) and Stenson 30-1). Just cashed out on Stenson so hoping Phil goes on win and max my return. If not, cashing out was a £50 mistake!

Hope you're wrong about Srenson. I'm on at £20 e/w @ 33/1. On with PP so paying out on the first 8 - pretty much a guaranteed pick up I know, but I'm greedy.

Scott and Fowler aren't going to win be anything. Mickleson has been there and done it, but surely it's time for Stenson to win a major?
  • Options
    Well, it's definitely gonna by yours or mine. Yours is a biggie bet so I wish you all the best.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Well, it's definitely gonna by yours or mine. Yours is a biggie bet so I wish you all the best.

Cheers. TV on outside, sitting on the patio, fridge loaded with beers and no intention of moving until the final ball has been putted.
  • Options
    Great to see Matthew Southgate on the course and playing well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Stenson is going to make me swear here. Dropped a shot on the the 1st hole.....shakes head. Lead changed already.
  • Options
    A/S after 2
  • Options
    Some great golf being played.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Certainly is. Can see it going to a play off.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

red_murph said:

Certainly is. Can see it going to a play off.
    Both Stenson and Mickleson looking solid. Stenson just has that steeley determination look about him and Mickleson looks very relaxed. Couldn't call it either way at the mo. You could well be right on the play off. Just wonder if a tight bunker might play a part.
  • Options
    I'd feel much more confident if it's was anybody other than Mickleson alongside Stenson!
  • Options
    Mickleson and Stenson matching shot for shot, so much so that they were asked to flip a coin for next shot as they were the exact same distance from the pin
  • Options
    Garcia is the all time nearly man isn't he? Never won a major but countless top 10's
  • Options
    It's like a Ryder Cup singles game! Great stuff.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Garcia is the all time nearly man isn't he? Never won a major but countless top 10's

21 top 10s in majors. Would love to see him win one before he finishes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

It's wierd as I always seem to think him of winning one. Wonderful player and love his enthusiasm.

Choked up watching Southgate, what a wonderful comeback.

• Options
    Sky ramping up the adverts now, bit annoying as catching up on all the shots is very rushed.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    red_murph said:

sam3110 said:

It's wierd as I always seem to think him of winning one. Wonderful player and love his enthusiasm.

Choked up watching Southgate, what a wonderful comeback.

Great story with Southgate. Could pick himself up £85k from the tournement. However, I'm sure money is very much secondary to him after the last year.
  • Options
    Loving Beefy. The blokes not stopped smiling and he's played some decent golf too!
  • Options

Loving Beefy. The blokes not stopped smiling and he's played some decent golf too!

Absolutely. A real breath of fresh air.
  • Options
    What a putt from Henrik!
  • Options
    That was incredible
  • Options
    Stenson's to lose now! There is always a moment like that to turn the tide. I had a feeling before he hit it that he'd hole it.
  • Options

red_murph said:

What a putt from Henrik!

I think people from 3 miles away heard me when that went in. Yellow card from the wife for excessive language though.
    If I had a pound for every time today I've shouted 'fucking get in' it would have covered my loss for not backing him. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.