Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD Statement: 22nd July

Comments

• Spot On.

No good disrupting games from the start as many of the players out there are new & need to find their feet - wont help if the first few games it all starts going off arounf them.

However, if by sept things haven't improved on & off the pitch AND it can cleanly be seen that money hasn't been invested into the team & more asset stripping has happened then full steam ahead with more protests etc etc

Bury go 1-0 up after five minutes, "you Belgian b******* get out of our club".
  • AdamCAFC said:

Very, very disappointing. We need to heap the pressure on, not ease off

We need to get promoted, not relegated
    we need KM and RD to feck off, end of. I'd take relegation if it meant seeing the back of those two.
    And I'd give them another chance if we get promotion.

Correction.

You'd give them another chance if we go down again.
    I doubt the club will continue to exist as we know it if we go down again and we'd be in AFC Charlton Athletic territory
  • AdamCAFC said:

Very, very disappointing. We need to heap the pressure on, not ease off

We need to get promoted, not relegated
    we need KM and RD to feck off, end of. I'd take relegation if it meant seeing the back of those two.
    And I'd give them another chance if we get promotion.

Correction.

You'd give them another chance if we go down again.
    I doubt the club will continue to exist as we know it if we go down again and we'd be in AFC Charlton Athletic territory
    But if we go down again you'd still give the Belgians another chance.
    Read my post and only if they then buy Millwall

• What happened to:

We've decided that Charltons first game of the season, if it's under Duchatelet, will be abandoned. Get the #1stGameOff hashtag going! #cafc

— Joe Read (@JoeyRead97) May 7, 2016

I've been a huge supporter of CARD and will continue to be, but I'm pretty disappointed with this statement. I think the protests towards the end of last season had a huge effect, both in terms of publicity, and also (albeit incredibly superficially) getting the club to move slightly on stuff like getting manager and players experienced in lower leagues in England. Obviously job far from complete, but I don't think we should ignore this. I also definitely don't think we should let up now.

Maybe this is the smart thing to do, since so many of us won't be going to home games at all this season, but I can't help feeling like the club will feel they've been let off the hook a bit.

That said, I still respect CARD, and I will wait optimistically to see what protests we'll have planned for outside the 90 minutes.

Roland out! Whatever it takes!
  • It looks as if CARD will have to make no effort at all to remind people what's occurring here, the club keep on delivering daily.

Please god for everybody's sake we win game after game. A draw or a defeat at Bury will ramp things up a notch, I dread to think what the mostly organically driven reaction is going to be if we are on five or six points by the end of August (if we get that many).
  • Think card should have waited to see what new players have been recruited before this statement,with all the outgoings at the moment any players signed that are not worthy other than the first 3, that I think are ok, then people might have differant opinions?
    Inflatables are a given at first/last games of the season, and I've already got mine & it will be going on burys pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure what happened to the quoting there, sorry.
  • edited July 2016

Think card should have waited to see what new players have been recruited before this statement,with all the outgoings at the moment any players signed that are not worthy other than the first 3, that I think are ok, then people might have differant opinions?
    Inflatables are a given at first/last games of the season, and I've already got mine & it will be going on burys pitch.

Don't tell me.......... it's a Big Ben inflatable :wink:
  • Good call I think.

In game protests were controversial when started last year and I remember getting quite agitated myself at the first one with the banners at a set time.

A declared suspension of in game activity is right because such action does divide the fan base (what little of it remains) and we should be giving Slade, who seems like a top man, every chance.

by end August we will know what the squad for the season/half season looks like and then is an appropriate time to reassess.

If we have a decent squad that's doing well, let's keep protests outside. If, as unfortunately expected we do not have a decent squad reconsider.

Last thing we need is a points deduction at the start of the season for activity this season.

I'd be happy not to see any smoke bombs on the pitch as well. If the boys who were having fun at welling with them, just don't lads. Let off some fireworks down the park with your mates, it's more fun.
  • SDAddick said:

A very good idea, given that
    1) The club have appointed a manager with British experience
    2) The window doesn't close until the end of August.
    3) There is a risk of "protest fatigue"

I do not believe anything has changed with this regime, but I think that protesting during the first match(es) of the season could backfire from a PR standpoint. The club would have every right to come out and say "we did what you asked, we hired a British manager, and there is still time in the window." And they would technically be right on both counts (and the fact that the window doesn't close until a month into the season is a silliness that is not their doing).

It is far easier to pick up the protests in September once we've seen the final squad for the first few months of the season assembled and, shock surprise, JJ and Crofts are our first choice central midfield pairing. But you can't "undo" protests so to speak.

This is a PR battle, and I am always impressed and proud of how CARD handle PR. This is a very measured approach, and one that ensures there is no risk of long-term backlash. For the public narrative to change, CARD only has to be wrong once, unfortunately, whereas the regime by nature of being in situ in the club have a seemingly unlimited number of "lives." It's excellent that CARD leadership recognizes this, and takes their time over such decisions, clearly measuring things from a strategic perspective, rather than just an emotional one. It would be easy to let emotions get in the way, one only needs to read the posts about those torn on renewing season tickets to see just how straining this is on everyone, but this is a marathon not a sprint.

Though I may not agree with them on all of their public-facing stances (namely that a British manager is an improvement), I am incredibly proud to have CARD represent me as a Charlton supporter.

This. Spot on.
  • Think card should have waited to see what new players have been recruited before this statement,with all the outgoings at the moment any players signed that are not worthy other than the first 3, that I think are ok, then people might have differant opinions?

CARD are waiting. The transfer window closes at the end of August.
  • Excellent judgment by CARD, who I think have called this just right.

The Sword of Damocles is well and truly in position and it will be finely honed and re-sharpened by the end of August - something the regime will be acutely aware of.
  • Sensible decision. Wait and see what squad Slade has to play with by the end of the transfer window. If it's crap, then crack on
  • Well done CARD, a sensible decision which I fully support
  • I am not fully supportive of the statement. KM has shown contempt for the supporters and an inability to carry out the role of CEO. The statement and intention should remain that she must be removed.
    My feeling is the statement takes pressure off RD and KM.
    let's say if the sofa is there for game 1 then she shows nothing has been learned.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think CARD has demonstrated how powerful the media can be in this battle. The press has been our side and I'm not sure that would continue if we started off in exactly the same vein as we ended last season, particularly if results on the pitch aren't bad. I would love to disrupt every match from the off but I think this is a wise decision.
  • having had a few hours to think on this I have changed my mind and agree that for the time being its a sensible decision.

However, do I renew or not?
  • CARD hitting Fanny's spot as always.

I thought this was a family-friendly forum.
  • Spot On.

No good disrupting games from the start as many of the players out there are new & need to find their feet - wont help if the first few games it all starts going off arounf them.

However, if by sept things haven't improved on & off the pitch AND it can cleanly be seen that money hasn't been invested into the team & more asset stripping has happened then full steam ahead with more protests etc etc

Bury go 1-0 up after five minutes, "you Belgian b******* get out of our club".
    Is this 'guess the missing word and win a prize'? If so, I'm going for "barrista".
  • having had a few hours to think on this I have changed my mind and agree that for the time being its a sensible decision.

Absolutely not, not until Roland has gone.

You're free to do as you wish...

(Absolutely fucking not Large, you know it makes sense....) :-)
  • Can see the sense in the decision not to disrupt the first few games.

Looking at some of the Facebook groups and Twitter there's a divide between the fans. There are some that will never protest but there are also some that are feeling optimistic (happens every pre-season) and want to see how Slade and the team get on.

A bad start and many of them will soon change their mind, which means greater numbers joining in any protests.

A good start why not let the team carry on and see where it takes us. Protests can still take place away from the game.

There's still time for the squad to be improved but we know based on the last two seasons that the squad is likely to be too small. RD wants to see more and more academy players in the team and League One will be seen as an easier division for them to get their chance in.
  • Lull them into a false sense of security and hit them with the sucker punch at the first home game, I like your style CARD !
  • I am not fully supportive of the statement. KM has shown contempt for the supporters and an inability to carry out the role of CEO. The statement and intention should remain that she must be removed.
    My feeling is the statement takes pressure off RD and KM.
    let's say if the sofa is there for game 1 then she shows nothing has been learned.

Squirrel face is going nowhere.

If she is still here after the Liar bedsheet, she is here for the long haul I'm afraid.
  • I have complete faith in CARD.