Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I have no empathy for Slade

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

Couldn't agree more. Knew what he was taking on but just wanted a title and regular pay cheque. He should also take a look at himself and shift a couple of stone. Set an example to his team.....most of whom are just kids!

What an arsehole, wanting a regular income!

And he's a football team manager not a fitness instructor.
    You're right of course. He is a manager. But with certain roles come certain expectations, responsibilities, moral obligations etc. He is overweight and doesn't look fit. Does he get stuck in with training or stand on the sideline shouting at his players whilst eating another pukka pie? Is he entitled to comment on the fitness of his players, if so, will his players respect his slightly hypocritical views?

I'm sorry, but if you want to manage any sports team and expect and demand full fitness from them, you should be prepared to lead by example.

I help manage my sons team - under 10's, yet me and the other dads would never expect any of them to do anything we couldn't do, including simple tasks like running a lap of the field, sprinting for 2 minutes, 5km Park Runs etc.
    Oh dear....you've still got it........those 10 year olds must be impressed.......
    We don't do it to impress anyone. We do it so that we have some credibility when we expect others to do it. Simple really.
  • Options
    braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

Couldn't agree more. Knew what he was taking on but just wanted a title and regular pay cheque. He should also take a look at himself and shift a couple of stone. Set an example to his team.....most of whom are just kids!

Well this is quite strange.
    whats strange about it? he took the job not because he wanted to be manager of Charlton, not because he has any affliation to the club, not because he's a local guy or life long supporter of the club or any other reason... but becuase he wanted another managerial job, a 3 year contract, another shot at promotion and was prepared to do that knowing full well what arse holes are in charge of the club, knowing that he'll be expected to say all the right things and do none of them. I'm basically saying I think he didnt take the job for the right reasons and so i'm not going to feel sorry for him when he's moaning about his paper thin squad!

Anyone thinking about taking this job on would have been aware of our Belgian owners and if they really wanted the job, would have insisted upon it being in their contract that they would be responsible for player signings. He was prepared to let that go just so he could call himself a manager again.
    So what should be the 'right reasons' for taking over as manager of a football club? If a shot at promotion isn't one of them, then that's strange in itself.

What his appearance and weight has to do with it I don't know.

And I'm not sure what your point about setting an example is all about. Seems to me like since he's joined he's done nothing but set an example. His interview talking about the handbook he's created seems like an excellent idea. Appears he's researched the club really well. Next few days in the transfer window will see if he's got the CEO and owner sussed out as well.
    You make a good point, the next few days will tell us a lot about this seasons set up. I'm not planning on being surprised though.

I would, however, point out that his time may have been better spent letting HR create a handbook rather than him. What's he got planned for the next 2 weeks....writing a user guide for the training ground vending machine?
    No, preparing the team for Bury.

Next question.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    braydex said:

Greenie said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

You're right of course. He is a manager. But with certain roles come certain expectations, responsibilities, moral obligations etc. He is overweight and doesn't look fit. Does he get stuck in with training or stand on the sideline shouting at his players whilst eating another pukka pie? Is he entitled to comment on the fitness of his players, if so, will his players respect his slightly hypocritical views?

I'm sorry, but if you want to manage any sports team and expect and demand full fitness from them, you should be prepared to lead by example.

I help manage my sons team - under 10's, yet me and the other dads would never expect any of them to do anything we couldn't do, including simple tasks like running a lap of the field, sprinting for 2 minutes, 5km Park Runs etc.
    Oh dear....you've still got it........those 10 year olds must be impressed.......
    We don't do it to impress anyone. We do it so that we have some credibility when we expect others to do it. Simple really.
    But its not simple. As a teacher/instructor your credibility comes from your knowledge and the ability to pass that knowledge on to those that you teach, a good teacher of physical activity/skill does not have to partake in every element that they expect a student to do, if they respect you and look up to you then they will do what your lesson/training requires, trying to do what they do automatically puts you at the same level as a student, a teacher should be many levels above, that is where a students respect towards a teacher/instructor comes from, there are many stories of Glenn Hoddle when he was managing, taking a practise game and joining in, his ego couldn't let him just coach. He became a laughing stock on the training pitch if the stories are to be believed.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Statistically, people with less hair are more successfull than those with hair...

This is true. We get all the bitches!
    So its all the baldies fault that we're stuck with Latrien then?
  • Options

braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

whats strange about it? he took the job not because he wanted to be manager of Charlton, not because he has any affliation to the club, not because he's a local guy or life long supporter of the club or any other reason... but becuase he wanted another managerial job, a 3 year contract, another shot at promotion and was prepared to do that knowing full well what arse holes are in charge of the club, knowing that he'll be expected to say all the right things and do none of them. I'm basically saying I think he didnt take the job for the right reasons and so i'm not going to feel sorry for him when he's moaning about his paper thin squad!

Anyone thinking about taking this job on would have been aware of our Belgian owners and if they really wanted the job, would have insisted upon it being in their contract that they would be responsible for player signings. He was prepared to let that go just so he could call himself a manager again.
    So what should be the 'right reasons' for taking over as manager of a football club? If a shot at promotion isn't one of them, then that's strange in itself.

And I'm not sure what your point about setting an example is all about. Seems to me like since he's joined he's done nothing but set an example. His interview talking about the handbook he's created seems like an excellent idea. Appears he's researched the club really well. Next few days in the transfer window will see if he's got the CEO and owner sussed out as well.
    You make a good point, the next few days will tell us a lot about this seasons set up. I'm not planning on being surprised though.

I would, however, point out that his time may have been better spent letting HR create a handbook rather than him. What's he got planned for the next 2 weeks....writing a user guide for the training ground vending machine?

Next question.
    Do you think the author, Russell Slade, will publish his new handbook? Based on his many managerial achievements and those achieved whilst he was a PE teacher he could have a bestseller perhaps?
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Statistically, people with less hair are more successfull than those with hair...

Evidence please! Including those who self depilate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

Next question.
    Do you think the author, Russell Slade, will publish his new handbook? Based on his many managerial achievements and those achieved whilst he was a PE teacher he could have a bestseller perhaps?
    Bound to be more successful than your stand-up!
    Dont mention standing up to Slade - he'll get exhausted just thiking about it.
  • Options
    braydex said:

Most people do want a title and regular pay cheques, nothing wrong with that. Otherwise he would be on benefits and wouldn't actively be looking for work. Then he would be criticised for that too?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

braydex said:

Most people do want a title and regular pay cheques, nothing wrong with that. Otherwise he would be on benefits and wouldn't actively be looking for work. Then he would be criticised for that too?
    We'll no doubt find out in the coming weeks
  • Options
    Well written, good post north devon is red
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options

braydex said:

braydex said:

Alex Ferguson. Do you think, in his 70s, he was still chasing Wayne Rooney about on the pitch?

And I don't remember anyone saying that he had no right to manage before he retired...

And do you think Sam Alladyce will be charging around on the football pitch chasing down all the England players?

Sorry, total bullcrap...
    Absolutely. Members of the club's coaching/fitness staff should be in good shape, but the manager? Nah.
  • Options
    Rafa Benitez can sprint to the burger bar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

braydex said:

braydex said:

And people have the cheek to say we have a problem with the technical ability of young kids in this country. Forget ball control and skills training, as long as they can sprint for 2 minutes (is that necessary anywhere other than towards the end of a long distance race), and do 5km runs at the age of 9 then we're in safe hands. Football's coming home.
    Dont take it quite literally, it'll confuse you.

Unfortunately, we can only rely on the parents to volunteer in their spare time to keep the boys fit, healthy and happy playing in a team where they feel valued, respected and equal.

I'm sure like millions of other parents, if we could afford to professionally train our kids week in week out we would. That said, we did win the league this season, comfortably, with my son being named 'keeper of the year' for his club, the largest in the England, so we're not doing a bad job i guess.
  • Options
    Hi Russell darling

• Options
    braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

And people have the cheek to say we have a problem with the technical ability of young kids in this country. Forget ball control and skills training, as long as they can sprint for 2 minutes (is that necessary anywhere other than towards the end of a long distance race), and do 5km runs at the age of 9 then we're in safe hands. Football's coming home.

Unfortunately, we can only rely on the parents to volunteer in their spare time to keep the boys fit, healthy and happy playing in a team where they feel valued, respected and equal.

I'm sure like millions of other parents, if we could afford to professionally train our kids week in week out we would. That said, we did win the league this season, comfortably, with my son being named 'keeper of the year' for his club, the largest in the England, so we're not doing a bad job i guess.
    I dont think anyone is doubting the time that you give to the kids and the passion and pride that you undoubtably have, however to expect a modern pro manager to belt around the training ground is just nuts.....no wonder pros trot out the line 'but you've never played the game'
  • Options
    Greenie said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

I dont think anyone is doubting the time that you give to the kids and the passion and pride that you undoubtably have, however to expect a modern pro manager to belt around the training ground is just nuts.....no wonder pros trot out the line 'but you've never played the game'
    I dont expect Slade to belt around the training ground. Just shift a a bit of weight.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I really do think people are reading too much into his comments the other day.

It's also getting REALLY boring talking about the same shit over and over.

Hurry up new season - I'm going loopy.

He said we need 5-6 more players. The season starts very soon. It's not reading into it too much, it's obvious he is correct and we need at least that many players (add one or two if we get more injuries).

I have no sympathy what so ever for RS, he's an idiot for getting himself into this coaching job and he got sold a lie every man and his dog who done his research could see was a lie - hence why all the other coaches ran a mile before or just after speaking to our CEO/owner. This will be another one added to that 23 seasons of no promotions from Football League - average manager has got himself into a below average position that will test him in more ways than one.

It's slightly worrying, not so much for the start of the season but nearer the end (as per last season), it has a delayed onset effect.
  • Options

Another thread that just proves football fans to be some of the most stupid creatures on this planet.

So what if he hasn't had a promotion? Does that by default mean he's a terrible manager? It's like the people who criticise Allardyce because he's never won anything - put him in charge of a top 4 club and he would.

I doubt he would lol.

I think he'd be outpipped by your Jose's, Pep Guardiola's etc. Just an inkling..
  • Options
    braydex said:

Greenie said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

I dont expect Slade to belt around the training ground. Just shift a a bit of weight.
    Kind of insulting to Slade, imagine if he said to you 'but I expect you to have played the game as a pro before you coach kids'. But each to their own I guess. I will of course change my mind when you become Orient, Cardiff and then Charlton manager.
  • Options
    braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

I'm sure like millions of other parents, if we could afford to professionally train our kids week in week out we would. That said, we did win the league this season, comfortably, WITH MY SON BEING NAMED 'KEEPER OF THE YEAR FOR HIS CLUB,THE LARGEST IN THE (sic) ENGLAND, so we're not doing a bad job i guess.
    Might be an idea to cut back on his choccy, crisps & chips, braydex

:smile:

• Options

braydex said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

I'm sure like millions of other parents, if we could afford to professionally train our kids week in week out we would. That said, we did win the league this season, comfortably, WITH MY SON BEING NAMED 'KEEPER OF THE YEAR FOR HIS CLUB,THE LARGEST IN THE (sic) ENGLAND, so we're not doing a bad job i guess.
    Might be an idea to cut back on his choccy, crisps & chips, braydex

:smile:

That's why he was Keeper of the Year though, the ball couldn't get past him.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I really have no empathy for Russell Slade whatsoever.

Now he's out there vainly trying to embarrass the club through the national and local press.

I think the club has done enough to embarrass itself without Slade's help.